Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 12:27:26 AM EDT
I'm planning to get me a quad for use of hunting.....I was wondering how steep can a quad with locked front/rear diffs climb-in soft ground mixed with pine/oak leaves. and is there aftermarket mods like crawler gears that can be used in place of the oem parts?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:08:14 AM EDT
[#1]

How steep a hill you can climb depends on a lot of factors

Rider skill
Quad
Tires

Everytime I swore a hill was two steep, mine has walked up it no problem. The biggest concern with steep hills is not wether your quad can drive up it but wether or not it is so steep that it will flip you backwards. Hasn't happened to me but I've witnessed a few very close calls (one just this weekend!)

As far as aftermarket parts for utility quads they don't offer any crawling gears, make sure whatever quad you get offers a high and low range. They do offer clutch kits for some models but these are generally used to compensate for the effects of larger tires.

Here are the performance parts offered for utility quads:

Tires
Rims
Performance Pipes
Performance Carb Jets
Clutch Kit

I've put all of the above on mine except the clutch kit.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, I'm soooooooooo jealouse of your quad......just waitin' to pay off most of my car payments, then I can go have some of the fun you fellas are having
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I rolled 9 times one day in AK. Gotta be careful. A light 2wd will get you places you would think you could only go with a 4wd, cause one guy can pull it out of a hole. A monster 4wd is great, till you get stuck in the mud, then its work for six guys to get out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:34:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A monster 4wd is great, till you get stuck in the mud, then its work for six guys to get out.

This is true, that's why a winch is a must! I've never been stuck in nything that a winch couldn't get me out of.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:38:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A monster 4wd is great, till you get stuck in the mud, then its work for six guys to get out.

This is true, that's why a winch is a must! I've never been stuck in nything that a winch couldn't get me out of.

It doesnt help when theres nothing to winch to. thats happened before But yeah, they are cheap enough that if we go back well take one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:46:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesnt help when theres nothing to winch to. thats happened before But yeah, they are cheap enough that if we go back well take one.

I never ride alone, so there's alwas another quad to winch to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top