Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 10:17:01 PM EDT
If you don't understand the question, you should be reading some other thread.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Que?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quess I dont get it
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Rio Bravo.  (Except for the singing, I can do without that.)  

I really like El Dorado, though.  I just really like Martin's portrayal of a drunk in Bravo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#4]
i voted for all since i dunno wtf you are talking about
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i voted for all since i dunno wtf you are talking about

Here is a hint.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Ummm, how about Big Jake, instead?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ummm, how about Big Jake, instead?

Big Jake is one of my favorites, but it is it's own film.  The 3 movies in the poll are really remakes of the same film.

I think they are all good, but Rio Bravo is my favorite.  I do like Robert Mitchum and James Caan better than Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson, though.  Stumpy is the best sidekick, and Angie Dickenson is hot hot hot.  

Plus there is always something about an original...  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Doc:  "Hey, these are shotgun pellets.  Who was using a shotgun last night?"
Mississippi:   <cough>

I haven't seen Rio Bravo, but I really like Mitchum's portrayal of the drunk.  I guess I need to check out the original version...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:38:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I'ld have voted for they all have their merits but Rio Lobo is just not up to snuff.  First it was made as a comedy that has serious moments.  It was made in the  "Hell I'm not doing anything for the next few months lets make a movie" period.  The "actresses" in Rio Lobo  were pathetic, Chris Mitchum, the other soldiers and Captain Cardona weren't much better.  It's a fun movie but not up to standards of the genre the other two were.   It did have some moments, I think the scene at the end of the Dentists visit where he yelps and says "That hurt" and the Dentist answers "Well if you were a better actor I wouldn't have had to do it."  was an ad lib.  Watch the look he gets from the Duke. Had some good lines.  "Who took my clothes off?""We flipped a coin and he lost."

Eldorado was the best IMHO.  Angie Dickinson and Ricky Nelson weren't that good, their delivery sucked  where just about everybody in Eldorado seemed real and delivered their dialogue naturally. Walter Brennan as Stumpy was much better than Hunicutt.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:52:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I think I like Liberty Valence best, Pilgrim.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:56:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I liked Rhustler's Rhapsody best.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:58:01 AM EDT
[#12]
+1 for Rio Bravo

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:04:03 AM EDT
[#13]

They're all great movies, but James Caan with the sawed-off playing Alan Bourdillion Traherne 'Mississippi' in El Dorado really makes the movie...

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:24:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They're all great movies, but James Caan with the sawed-off playing Alan Bourdillion Traherne 'Mississippi' in El Dorado really makes the movie...

+1

I was just watching "The Alamo" last night, and not that one with the pussy Billy Bob.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:42:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Talk about feelin old, no wonder the country is headed down the tubes.........

When people are so ignorant that they don't even recognize movies in which "The Duke" starred in, it's a crying shame.

Funny I thought that's what video tape recorders were invented for, taping John Wayne and Humphrey Bogart movies.

Mike

PS - FYI, if there weren't a Yakima Canutt, ya'd have never had a hero like Marion Michael Morrison.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:07:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Rio Bravo for me. Good flick

Although McClintock has its merits...Ho! ....Maklin...wherrrres the whiskey!!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:26:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Stumpy was a classic sidekick, but Hunicutt had a great line when he fired off one round out of his double barreled shotgun.  "I got another one right here!"

IMHO, the James Caan / Ricky Nelson characters could have been left out altogether.  They were just too overdone.  Dean Martin and Robert Mitchum both did a great job as the drunken sheriff.  Angie Dickenson was HOT.  The problem with John's later westerns was that he had a good story line, mostly good actors and then it was screwed up with either a very bad actor or a cheesey character.
Big Jake comes to mind.

His very best was The Searchers.  However, Liberty Valance was a classic.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Rio Lobo.  That's my all-time favorite movie.  Kind of cheesey acting, but the movies' great.  I like the old man with the shotgun.  "He's at another gate now talking to St. Peter" or "Bet yer glad you brung me, huh?"
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:17:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't seem to remember ever seeing El Dorado.

I voted Rio Bravo. Good story, with a great cast. I can live with the singing.

I really like Rio Lobo but it's almost a cheap knockoff of Rio Bravo. But it's not too bad though. "HoooEeeee....legs like that and she can shoot too!"
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Mississippi, Colorado, Mississippi, Colorado, Mississippi, Colorado, Mississippi, Colorado................

Nelson was better than Caan. The flower pot through the window scene is classic.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#21]
"Hey Stumpy, that wagon's full of dynamite!"  "Whaaat, why doesn't anybody ever tell me anything!"

(notice my posting name)

Of course in "Eldorado"  the Duke gets to break Ed Asners nose with a rifle stroke.

WWJWD
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:46:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Rio Lobo is my favorite.  I think it is showed the least of all three.  Jennifer ONiell was truly beautiful back them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:37:15 AM EDT
[#23]
It's so hard to pick, but I have to vote for El Dorado. Why?

Well there's Bull (who is mighty entertainin....)

And Maudie....And Maudie......And Maudie......

Sorry. Forgot what I was saying. Where am I?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I read once that Caan was hired as a comic side kick but he thought it was a straight part, and tried to play it serious.

And what was up with Maudie speaking only in long monologues?  "Maudie, would you like it set to music?"

Arc
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#25]
How can we possibly only pick one!?!?!?

IT'S A TRAP!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I agree-WTF is this country coming to when people don't even know their John Wayne flicks?

I have Rio Bravo and El Dorado on tape.

El Dorado, hands down. Charlene Holt was FAR hotter than Angie Dickinson.

And anyone ever notice that Robert Mitchum used the crutch under BOTH arms?

John Wayne even made a reference to it at the end of the movie when he needed to use one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I agree-WTF is this country coming to when people don't even know their John Wayne flicks?

No kidding!

This damn foreigner knew what this was about - and unlike some of you bozos, also knew that the correct answer was Rio Bravo !

Those of you who didn't know what the thread was about should be ashamed, and should take some time to re-evaluate your lives, right now!!  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Rio Bravo.  (Except for the singing, I can do without that.)  

I really like El Dorado, though.  I just really like Martin's portrayal of a drunk in Bravo.

+1, but I liked the singing

Gabby Hayes was the best!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#29]
if a movie has John Wayne in it...............it's worth watching

and i pick El Dorado because it was one of the few movies i had on tape when i was little and i wore that fucker out watching it..................
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#30]
anyone who said "what" or "que" in response is a communist.  

plain and simple

Rio Bravo, and I actually liked the singing.

Angie Dickinson was a hottie.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding!

This damn foreigner knew what this was about - and unlike some of you bozos, also knew that the correct answer was Rio Bravo !

Those of you who didn't know what the thread was about should be ashamed, and should take some time to re-evaluate your lives, right now!!  

You're not a half bad guy, for a Dutchman.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#32]
"...John Wayne was a fag...." (Repo man )
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Rio Bravo, It was all together a better movie. Better acting, better filming, better everything.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
"...John Wayne was a fag...." (Repo man hr

Bub, that'll get ya killed in some places.  Steel, in pig iron furnaces so hot a man forgets his fear of hell, and when you're strong enough, other things.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding!

You're not a half bad guy, for a Dutchman.  

I'll take that as a back-handed compliment.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
anyone who said "what" or "que" in response is a communist.  

plain and simple

Rio Bravo, and I actually liked the singing.

Angie Dickinson was a hottie.

Angie was cute. Very cute. But I had an urge to smack Ricky Nelson during that movie. I kept praying he would get shot....

BTW -- Anyone who doesn't know his JW flicks isn't a commie. He is an apostle of satan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top