Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 9:49:52 PM EDT
If I have an audio book on mp3 that is 2 hours long, and I am using Adaptec to burn it to CD's, how do I "split" the file to fit it on multiple disks?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#1]
2 options: re-rip it into 2 pieces or re-rip it into a lower or more compressed bit-rate.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#2]
How do I rip it on to two disks?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar340.exe

I have this, but all it does is compress files.  I want to be able to play the audio files on my CD player...

Thanks, though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Okay, first, you'll want a program that will convert the MP3 into a WAV file.  Most any audio editor will, and even WinAMP can be set up to do this, but it will take several hours, because you have to play the MP3 at standard speed to get the WAV.

Then, using that editor, edit the WAV file into pieces less than 80 minutes long.  Third, burn each resulting WAV as an audio CD.

Sound Forge is probably the best WAV editor around, and will edit and convert MP3s, but there are plenty of other cheap/free programs that will do the same thing.

-Troy

Suggestions on where to find the free software.  I found Sound Forge...but at $399 a pop, I think I have to pass...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a prgram called "Allsplitter" that might do the trick. IM me your e-mail, and I'll send it along.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Sent,

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Ah, sorry.  Been up too long and I guess my reading comprehension is turning to poop.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#10]
After entirely too much time (ain't dial-up great?), you got mail , Slash.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thanks,

I tried it, but it will only split Video....

HELP GUYS!!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#12]
HJSplit and HJJoin

HJSplit and HJJoin.
One splits and the other joins.
Both FREE.
I use them and they work.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
HJSplit and HJJoin

HJSplit and HJJoin.
One splits and the other joins.
Both FREE.
I use them and they work.

After I split the file can I play the SPLIT FILE on a CD player?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#14]
No. You must rejoin the split files with HJJoin.

Try this if you want to cut mp3s.
mp3surgeon
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#15]

MP3 Surgeon 2004 Lite is the free trial edition of MP3 Surgeon.
The trial is limited to editing MP3 files upto 4Mb in size.

No luck...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok try this then.

MP3 Splitter Joiner
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Okay, first, you'll want a program that will convert the MP3 into a WAV file.  Most any audio editor will, and even WinAMP can be set up to do this, but it will take several hours, because you have to play the MP3 at standard speed to get the WAV.

You are incorrect. The Nullsoft diskwriter plugin can convert a 5 mp3 to a wav in seconds.  It does not output anything to the soundcard, instead wrinting the wav straight to disk.

Then, using that editor, edit the WAV file into pieces less than 80 minutes long.  Third, burn each resulting WAV as an audio CD.

Sound Forge is probably the best WAV editor around, and will edit and convert MP3s, but there are plenty of other cheap/free programs that will do the same thing.

-Troy

My editor of choice is cool edit, but I haven't messed with any of the newer versions since Adobe bought them.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,

I tried it, but it will only split Video....

HELP GUYS!!!!

%&^@$#@%!!!!! Sorry, man.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm assuming you want to do it into redbook audio format for playing in an audio cd player without mp3 format support, since a 120 minute mp3 from an audiobook should not be that big unless someone recorded it at a bitrate way too high for simple spoken word.  If not, then the rest may not apply.

If you're doing it on audio cd's, then you'll need to convert it to wav's via Winamps diskwriter plugin.  Open winamp, select diskwriter, then click configure below it.  Tell it where to dump the wave file and leave everything else the way it is.

Play the mp3, and it'll take a minute or two to convert the mp3 to wav.  You won't hear anything, but tbe progress bar on the winamp console will skip ahead in chunks every second or so until it's done.

Then, locate an older copy of cool edit that will allow you to trial it.  Adobe recently purchased cool edit, and I do not thinkt they allow you to do a trial period anymore.  Olderversion will limit you to two of the unique features, which you can pick on startup, so it should still work.

Select the wav and go to the 80 minute mark in the timecode section, which will be listed under the waveform window.  Might want to do it at 75 minute just to be safe, or whatever minute rating the CD-R's you plan on using are rated at.  Select everything to the right of that timeframe and go to the edit menu to select cut.

Save the wave file now as ebook1.wav or whatever name you want.  Then select file menu, new and paste what you cut into the new wav.  Save it as ebook2.wav.  Use Nero, EZCD, or any other popular cd writing software to burn an audio cd with the wav's as the sources.  They should be playable in any CD player at that point.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I think that worked...

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

-Troy

Db PowerAmp (freeware) will convert WAV to Mp3 (with a bit rate of your choosing), and Mp3 to WAV. it also includes a pretty decent ripping program; I've used both with great results.Db Power Amp
Once that's done, all you really need is the sound recorder built into Windows (if you are running windows, that is) to chop the WAV file into suitably sized files.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:23:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I think that worked...

Excellent.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top