Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 7:38:06 PM EDT

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

NEW YORK - The folks at Comedy Central were annoyed when Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly kept referring to "The Daily Show" audience as "stoned slackers." So they did a little research. And guess whose audience is more educated?

AP Photo

Viewers of Jon Stewart's show are more likely to have completed four years of college than people who watch "The O'Reilly Factor," according to Nielsen Media Research.

O'Reilly's teasing came when Stewart appeared on his show earlier this month.

"You know what's really frightening?" O'Reilly said. "You actually have an influence on this presidential election. That is scary, but it's true. You've got stoned slackers watching your dopey show every night and they can vote."

Comedy Central executives realized, and O'Reilly acknowledged, that he was poking fun. But they said they didn't want a misconception to persist.

"If the head of General Motors was watching O'Reilly's show, that could be very important to us," said Doug Herzog, Comedy Central president.

"If you listen to O'Reilly, you get the sense that it was crazy longhairs behind the show," he said. "And it's not. It's great, smart television that attracts a well-compensated audience, most of whom are voting age."

Relax, said Fox News Channel spokesman Rob Zimmerman.

"Comedy Central must have lost their sense of humor," Zimmerman said. "Without Jon Stewart, Comedy Central would turn into the Great American Country Channel."

Comedy Central also touted a recent study by the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey, which said young viewers of "The Daily Show" were more likely to answer questions about politics correctly than those who don't.

Comedy Central had no statistics on how many people watch "The Daily Show" stoned.

Although seemingly taken aback by repeated "stoned slackers" references while talking with O'Reilly, Stewart was ready with a joke.

"This election is going to rely on the undecided," he said. "And who is more undecided than stoned slackers? Ice cream or pretzels? Ice cream or pretzels? What's it going to be?

Whether it's the slacker or no-slacker zone, O'Reilly is entering it Oct. 7, when he's scheduled to appear on "The Daily Show."

So if Stewart's audience is comprised of stoned slackers, how would Herzog describe O'Reilly's audience?

"I'm not getting into that game," he said.

I like John Stewart myself, it's not news but its pretty dam funny, and he doesn't give a shit who you are.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Viewers of Jon Stewart's show are more likely to have completed four years of college than people who watch "The O'Reilly Factor," according to Nielsen Media Research.

I went to college... I don't see anything wrong with correlation here....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]
john stewart is a liberal piece of trash and has ruined the daily show.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#3]
The Daily Show is great.  Anyone who believes the Daily Show promotes Democrats has not watched very many episodes. They bash on Republicans and Democrats both.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

NEW YORK - The folks at Comedy Central were annoyed when Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly kept referring to "The Daily Show" audience as "stoned slackers." So they did a little research. And guess whose audience is more educated?

AP Photo

"You know what's really frightening?" O'Reilly said. "You actually have an influence on this presidential election. That is scary, but it's true. You've got stoned slackers watching your dopey show every night and they can vote."

Comedy Central executives realized, and O'Reilly acknowledged, that he was poking fun. But they said they didn't want a misconception to persist.

"If the head of General Motors was watching O'Reilly's show, that could be very important to us," said Doug Herzog, Comedy Central president.

"If you listen to O'Reilly, you get the sense that it was crazy longhairs behind the show," he said. "And it's not. It's great, smart television that attracts a well-compensated audience, most of whom are voting age."

"Comedy Central must have lost their sense of humor," Zimmerman said. "Without Jon Stewart, Comedy Central would turn into the Great American Country Channel."

Comedy Central also touted a recent study by the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey, which said young viewers of "The Daily Show" were more likely to answer questions about politics correctly than those who don't.

Comedy Central had no statistics on how many people watch "The Daily Show" stoned.

Although seemingly taken aback by repeated "stoned slackers" references while talking with O'Reilly, Stewart was ready with a joke.

"This election is going to rely on the undecided," he said. "And who is more undecided than stoned slackers? Ice cream or pretzels? Ice cream or pretzels? What's it going to be?

Whether it's the slacker or no-slacker zone, O'Reilly is entering it Oct. 7, when he's scheduled to appear on "The Daily Show."

So if Stewart's audience is comprised of stoned slackers, how would Herzog describe O'Reilly's audience?

I like John Stewart myself, it's not news but its pretty dam funny, and he doesn't give a shit who you are.

Unless you are a conservative being interviewed by him, in which case you will be ridiculed by him and the audience.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Daily Show is great.  Anyone who believes the Daily Show promotes Democrats has not watched very many episodes. They bash on Republicans and Democrats both.

While that's true, it still leans left. That said, it still cracks me up, he's a riot.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Whatever

Just my opinion, but john stewart is a liberal asshole who should stfu, his existence totally pisses me off and ruins an otherwise good show

He's *not* funny, he is Comedy Central's biggest mistake

Yeah that's how I really feel - and I have a Masters Degree +
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AP Photo

Unless you are a conservative being interviewed by him, in which case you will be ridiculed by him and the audience.

LMAO who the hell is stupid enough to have an interview with him? Any one who does is going to be made to look like an ass.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While that's true, it still leans left. That said, it still cracks me up, he's a riot.

Yeah, when Klinton was in the while house Stewart was actually funny.  He poked fun at everyone.  Once G Dub took over every single freaking show was GW bashing, Republican bashing, convervative bashing.... it is not funny anymore.  And the thing is, I can laugh at myself.  But his jokes are just lame now!! They are only funny in the sense that something is funny only because it's making fun of someone you don't like.  You know, like in grade school, where one kid says to the dork "Hey, uh, you're DUMB!!" and everyone laughs?  Sure they laughed, but it's not like he cranked out a rip roaring hillarious joke.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, when Klinton was in the while house Stewart was actually funny.  He poked fun at everyone.  Once G Dub took over every single freaking show was GW bashing, Republican bashing, convervative bashing.... it is not funny anymore.  And the thing is, I can laugh at myself.  But his jokes are just lame now!! They are only funny in the sense that something is funny only because it's making fun of someone you don't like.  You know, like in grade school, where one kid says to the dork "Hey, uh, you're DUMB!!" and everyone laughs?  Sure they laughed, but it's not like he cranked out a rip roaring hillarious joke.

I am not too sure about that, I have seen him make fun of everyone, and GW is in the spot light what do you expect? He makes a mistake 100 cameras will catch it.

I have seen him make fun of Kerry, Al-gore and the rest of them.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed. he cracks on both republicans and Democrats, but he tends to lean far left....While I may not agree with everything it says I still watch it because it makes me laugh unlike everything else on TV.
And don't give me the bullshit about upping his ratings, and boycotting him. If you honestly think you can "boycott" a TV show, you need to do some serious research on how ratings work. Unless you're a Nielsen family, you have NO effect on TV ratings.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey did you guys know that JS is Jewish?

I'm pro Isreal, and I still can't get over the way he promotes his show to Jewish people. Every other joke on his show is a Jewish joke. Mel Brookes version of Jewish comedy is funny. John Stewart=tired pandering.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#12]
No doubt the Daily Show is a more liberal news/talk show. Stewart doesn't necessarily rag on Republicans, however, he does trash Bush whenever he gets the slightest of chances. And the only reason why college students might watch his show more than a more serious show on MSNBC or FOX is because colleges are liberal entities.

I prefer to watch "Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn"... Quinn seems to present a more conservative show and the comedians he has on there are a hell of a lot funnier than Stewart.

-------

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." --George Orwell--
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No doubt the Daily Show is a more liberal news/talk show. Stewart doesn't necessarily rag on Republicans, however, he does trash Bush whenever he gets the slightest of chances. And the only reason why college students might watch his show more than a more serious show on MSNBC or FOX is because colleges are liberal entities.

I prefer to watch "Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn"... Quinn seems to present a more conservative show and the comedians he has on there are a hell of a lot funnier than Stewart.

-------

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." --George Orwell--

I'm starting to like Tough Crowd a lot....The quality of the show depends A LOT on the guests though. I love the show's theme song too
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

please. the daily show is one of the biggest mouthpieces for the left on TV.

who are you voting for in Nov. AR15fan?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#15]
"Please explain to me why John Kerry sounds more dickish telling the truth than Bush sounds when he's lying. How is that possible?" —Jon Stewart
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#16]
If that's an example of a joke for him, he needs better writers.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Education does not equal intelligence.

"Stoned Slackers" can be educated and still be Stoned Slackers
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
who are you voting for in Nov. AR15fan?

I'm leaning towards Bush since he signed nationide CCW for cops and let the AWB sunset.  But i may vote for Nader just to help keep him around to nag at the democrats.  There is not any candidate that really reflects my agnostic, fiscally conservative, libertarian leaning isolationist veiws. Pat Buchannon is as close as one ever came.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#20]
It's more educated not smarter
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#21]
with the exception of southpark, there is nothing on comedy central that I find funny enough to be worth watching.

Disclaimer:  I quit watching TV completely three years ago, so things might have changed, but I don't really care.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#22]
From the promo I saw this afternoon, The Daily Show will be showing a segment concerning a firearms training school on tonight's show.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I think there is a slight left bias but they are generally equal opportunity abusers and very funny.  Stoners and slackers would be too dim to get much of the humor.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Whatever

Just my opinion, but john stewart is a liberal asshole who should stfu, his existence totally pisses me off and ruins an otherwise good show

He's *not* funny, he is Comedy Central's biggest mistake

Yeah that's how I really feel - and I have a Masters Degree +

I have a Masters Degree+ too, and I have seen them bash both sides with relish.  what are we going to compare next?

I'll bet my dad can beat up your dad!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#25]
He's as liberal as liberal can be.

...and I laugh my ass off, watching the Daily Show.

It's OK to laugh, honest.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

+1.  Stewart bashes Kerry well, and often.  Partisan or not, that guy gets me laughing out loud every time I watch his show.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Al Franken USED to be funny, but bitter partisanship has poisoned that part of him.

Jon Stewart is a riot.
His writers on the Show are genius.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Rob Corddry is my fav.  

Check out some of his contributions here
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
 But i may vote for Nader .

that's what i was beginning to suspect....
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone see tonights episode at the 4 star firearms training facility?  

Something to the effect of;
"I want to kill a hobo"
"I can train you to do it. but what you do after you leave here is up to you."
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
with the exception of southpark, there is nothing on comedy central that I find funny enough to be worth watching.

Disclaimer:  I quit watching TV completely three years ago, so things might have changed, but I don't really care.

South Park
The Daily Show
Insomniac
Tough Crowd
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:43:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I used to like the daily show.  Even with J.S.  But now, he has turned into a mouthpiece of the left to gain favor with the big stars in hollywierd.

I quit watching him.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#33]
That show was 1000% better with Craig Kilborn (sp?).
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I can't watch The Daily Show any more.  Not after reading that all his writers were democrats.  A sense of humor is fine and it's fun to joke both sides but there is an obvious left slant to that show and I get tired of seeing asshats like John Stewart have an impact on how the sheep vote.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Best damn show around.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Reno 911 is the best damn show around.

I fixed it for you
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

"I want to kill a hobo"

I watched that. I enjoyed the part when he actually "kills" the "hobo".
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Kill your TV.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Rob Corddry is my fav.  

Check out some of his contributions here

Lewis Black makes LMAO
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"I want to kill a hobo"

I watched that. I enjoyed the part when he actually "kills" the "hobo".

He May be a liberal, but hes a liberal who has got to learn a lot of gunhandling at the TV producers expense. This is at least the third recent episode involving range time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

South Park
The Daily Show
Insomniac
Tough Crowd

+1

Tough Crowd is hilarious!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Doesn't everybody??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top