Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2004 6:58:48 PM EDT
I wrecked my XR600 (bike is fine, Dirt bikes are so much tougher than street bike!) and banged up my ankle really bad. From my ankle to my little toe is swollen and alternates between numbness and pain. Feels like annother bad sprain. I can still move it pretty well. how do I tell if its broke, and if its broke should I see a doctor or just whip out my brace and hobble?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are sitting on the edge of your bed and your foot is swinging side to side like a grandfather clock pendullum. Its broken.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you are sitting on the edge of your bed and your foot is swinging side to side like a grandfather clock pendullum. Its broken.

I think I'm good then
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Get a X-Ray

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#4]
painful and throbbing? I'd see a doctor. If it's only a sprain at least they can give you some good pain killers
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
getting it fixed, if needed, will be cheaper NOW than later.
get that thing checked out son!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#6]
nothing like permanent ankle damage and a hobble to turn on the girls

GO GET IT CHECKED!

I had a friend bust his ankle.They had to fuse the damn thing and now he hobbles around like an old man at 32.

Damn kids...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Gangrene!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
If people start mistaking you for Joe Theisman.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#9]
IF you have insurance...see a doctor.
IF you do not have insurance...wait another day and if swelling worse OR pain intesifies...see a dotor.
IF you like to run, bike or hike,  the doctor's bill is well worth it.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I suppose I will see how I feel in the morning. I don't think I rolled it, I think the bike landed on it but I don't remember.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I wrecked my XR600 (bike is fine, Dirt bikes are so much tougher than street bike!) and banged up my ankle really bad. From my ankle to my little toe is swollen and alternates between numbness and pain. Feels like annother bad sprain. I can still move it pretty well. how do I tell if its broke, and if its broke should I see a doctor or just whip out my brace and hobble?

Go get it X-Rayed tough guy.............

R........
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I suppose I will see how I feel in the morning. I don't think I rolled it, I think the bike landed on it but I don't remember.

were you wearing boots or sandals?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#13]
See a Doc.

Seriously, I had a cousin that sprained his ankle, it formed a blood clot and killed him.

He hadn't gone to see a doctor.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Get a X-Ray

Yep, have it checkout, you could have hairline fractures. Get it fixed now because if you have problems, could be problems for life, and it will get worse as you get older.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shoes. I have yet to find a pair of boots that fit right, I may have to order them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Does it hurt when you step on it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Is Fienstein a bitch?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shoes. I have yet to find a pair of boots that fit right, I may have to order them.

you'll have a harder time walking around like Igor.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alpine Stars, AXO, or Fox.  Get some.  I had a problem getting size 14 in anything.  I wear AXO offroad, Hi-Tec on road.  No boot fits right until it is broken in.  No truer words spoken when wearing off-road MX boots.  Try them on with thick socks.  Remember, they ain't made to walk in, they are made to ride in.  It took an entire season to break in my AXOs.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's a sure way to identify a broken ankle.  You'll need an assistant.  Sit on a table that's high enough that your foot doesn't touch the ground.  Have your assistant very gently roll up your pants and remove your sock/shoe to expose the ankle.  Now have your helper whack your ankle hard with a hammer.  I mean really hard.  If it hurts, it's probably broken.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is Fienstein a bitch?

Its gone beyond repair.  You will need to have it amputated tomorrow.  Sorry to have to tell you this.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#22]
And right before my road trip! You got some crutches I can borrow on my...errand
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
nothing like permanent ankle damage and a hobble to turn on the girls

GO GET IT CHECKED!

I had a friend bust his ankle.They had to fuse the damn thing and now he hobbles around like an old man at 32.

Damn kids...

A permanent injury deformity might help him!!!!

Seriously CJ, if you ever have a question about whether you should go to the Doc, call a Nurse hotline type line and talk to them.  These are long distance for you but I don't know the hospitals in your area.

The following Consulting Nurse help lines (hours vary) give free medical advice and information and physician referral to the general public. Typically they refer only to the hospital with which they are affiliated. All of these operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Downtown (Harborview Community Care Line) 206-731-2500
NE King County (Evergreen Medical Center) 425-899-3000
Central Seattle / Downtown (Swedish) 206-215-2100
SE King County (Valley Medical Center) 425-656-4636
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gangreine!!!!

Eeeek !!!   Even IF ya can't spell it  !!  

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#25]
OK, fuck it, I'll see a doc, after work tomorrow. Damn, I hate going into doctors offices.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Gangreine!!!!

Eeeek !!!   Even IF ya can't spell it  !!  

ewwwwwww
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
OK, fuck it, I'll see a doc, after work tomorrow. Damn, I hate going into doctors offices.

I've got Dibs on your M14 magazines and anything by Glock or Sig!

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
And right before my road trip! You got some crutches I can borrow on my...errand

Dude she would be well worth it.

She is so cool.

check you IM box.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Dibs on anything HK
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a G21 for sale, if you're interested. If I die from this, its all yours, print this post and bring it to the funeral. My brother will get my HK anyway
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm barely gimping around you're already splitting up my gear
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a G21 for sale, if you're interested. If I die from this, its all yours, print this post and bring it to the funeral. My brother will get my HK anyway

Ill Take your AR's
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

We'd expect the same from you!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I get the M14
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I still want the AR's

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#36]
I fell snowboarding. (at 46...oh to be young again).
Wife says to go to the ER.
Tough guy me says it's only sprained. Two Vicoden and two Bombay Sapphires later I went to the ER and it's broken.
Still gives me hell after a long day of snowboarding. Too hard headed to quit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Mike, youre torturing me!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Did you get the IM, with  the link?

BTW really soft on the front as well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#39]
For the most part you treat a sprained ankle the same way you treat a broken one.

Go see a doc.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got the IM, got the link

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got the IM, got the link

Thanks!

Enjoy, hope all is well on your Ankle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#42]
lol just dont buy the "if you can move it its not broken" yeah i could move my arm, yeah it was broken.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dumb dumb dumb

My alpinestar tech 8's have saved my feet on numerous occasions, i am sure you have learned your lesson
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Shit yeah I have learned my lesson. At least I was wearing my helmet, I can tell from all the grass I pulled off of it that I slid on it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Broken Ankle

I wonder if there is a page on the Internet to tell you how to diagnose temporary blindness...I just can't SEE that being the case.

MT
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

This is actually the best question.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Damn, Mt it sounds like I really did it this time. It says I should go to the doctor immediately. Screw that, I'll go in the morning.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I get the M14

Only if I die from the moldy bread I just ate, and if it's not already been called by someone else, I'll have to check the list!

Note to self:  Turn the light on when making a sandwich from now on.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Got any pics?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#50]
See a Doc!

The best thing you said is that you are able to move it freely. May just be a contusion(bruised) but the only way to be sure is an exam and Xrays.

A sprain and a fracture are not treated the same.
Is it your foot or your ankle or both that hurt?

A fracture would not likely directly lead to a DVT or PE (blood clot) but inactivity would.
A rare phenomenon though is fat embolism--fat from the bone marrow gets into the venous system and goes to the lung via the heart. Same effect.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top