Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2004 4:42:26 PM EDT
Following the family tradition, my youngest brother (6 sons, 4 daughters in my family) joined the service.  Now, as a senior NROTC middie, he is preparing to join the fleet. He came down to D.C. for his official interview at Naval Reactors AND PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!
Not another bubblehead in the fandamily!!!

Funniest thing was that when he came into the Admiral's office, he saw our older brother's service record on his desk...."Why did your brother get out of the Navy!?!?!??! Well, TELL ME YOUNG MAN!!!!!!!!"

Older brother was a nuke too. Ok guy, but he still goes to STAR TREK conventions tho!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Following the family tradition, my youngest brother (6 sons, 4 daughters in my family) joined the service.  Now, as a senior NROTC middie, he is preparing to join the fleet. He came down to D.C. for his official interview at Naval Reactors AND PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!
Not another bubblehead in the fandamily!!!

Funniest thing was that when he came into the Admiral's office, he saw our older brother's service record on his desk...."Why did your brother get out of the Navy!?!?!??! Well, TELL ME YOUNG MAN!!!!!!!!"

Older brother was a nuke too. Ok guy, but he still goes to STAR TREK conventions tho!

Another one to join the pasty whites, eh? Shoulda gone aviation....

I keed I keed! Congrats to your brother! What NROTC unit? I was Holy Cross NROTC (commissioned 2003)
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL! I sent 2 weeks on a sub as a mid.....the two looooongest weeks of my life. That's why I went aviation! (USNA class of 1991). I went to med school because NFO stands for No Future Outside!
He is at Miami U. in Oxford, Ohio. Nice place, good looking chicks.

I think they gave him his official Star Trek communicator badge at the end of the interview, but he won't tell me......................I can't do diffy q's!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome, Im about 1/4 through my last school (prototype).

Im just an enlisted puke though!

I hope he likes staring at paper 12 hours a day for a year
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a reason they pay nukes so well. Hope he's into long hours and no sunshine.

BTW, I know five prior enlisted nukes that couldn't wait to get OUT of nuke power. One of the only ways they could get out is through a commissioning program. Your brother won't have such a luxury.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Tell him to go SWO Nuke.

Go to the carrier and get it over with.  Spend the rest of your days either in prototype or the real fleet.

I did my Youngster Cruise on a sub (USS Sunfish, SSN-649), and while fun for a couple of weeks, I went to the nuke surface line when push came to shove.

Maybe my recollection of fun times on Sunfish was tinted by the fact that the crew in my division were some hardcore Isle of Palms (we were in Charleston) party animals and I spent most of my time on liberty drunk at night or at the beach during the day.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Poor bastards Nuke's get the most abuse on a submarine. hey
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
LOL! I sent 2 weeks on a sub as a mid.....the two looooongest weeks of my life. That's why I went aviation! (USNA class of 1991). I went to med school because NFO stands for No Future Outside!

I think they gave him his official Star Trek communicator badge at the end of the interview, but he won't tell me......................I can't do diffy q's!

Hahahhaha nice.

Speaking of girls, for the hurricane evacuation I headed to Oklahoma... visited OU.... HOLY CRAP! I should have gone to a mid-west school... the girls were unreal!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Ha...I was a nuke....Springfield (SSN-761) did my time and two trips to the sandbox in the submarine (out of the 4 years 2 months I was there, I figured I did close TO 2 YEARS UNDERWATER, the longest stretch being about 2 months straight), and couldnt wait to get out. Its very true that nukes take the most abuse on a submarine....my job was pure hell sometimes. And I did walk up everyday for 6 months on the last depolyment and my first thoughts were how much I hated that place. BUT...the nukes really do own the boat and the boat functions and people are able to come home safely because of it. I am not saying that there werent good coners (non-nukes), they were just few and far between. I worked with some of the best people I have ever known down there, and that as well as a chance to serve my coutry were the biggest pluses.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Poor bastards Nuke's get the most abuse on a submarine. They are also a bunch of gowdarn primadona's .... well at least some of them.  A rocket scientist out aka "ugum"

We weren't the primadona's on my boat (SSN 722).  The sonar techs were with the fire control techs a close second.  Those fucks would take a shower before and after every watch and always smelled like French whores with all the shower gels, cologne, etc... that they used.  They had better smelling personal hygiene products than most girls I knew.  And we got no abuse, but rather dished it out quite heavily to the "coners".  I was an EM and we were Gods while underway.  I could eat anything I wanted, anytime I wanted in the galley just by bringing a 4-pack of AA batteries every once in a while for the cooks to use in their walkman's.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Look, I don't want you nukes stealing the primadonna title from brown shoes. We get mandatory rest. You can't beat that shit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Poor bastards Nuke's get the most abuse on a submarine. They are also a bunch of gowdarn primadona's .... well at least some of them.  A rocket scientist out aka "ugum"

We weren't the primadona's on my boat (SSN 722).  The sonar techs were with the fire control techs a close second.  Those fucks would take a shower before and after every watch and always smelled like French whores with all the shower gels, cologne, etc... that they used.  They had better smelling personal hygiene products than most girls I knew.  And we got no abuse, but rather dished it out quite heavily to the "coners".  I was an EM and we were Gods while underway.  I could eat anything I wanted, anytime I wanted in the galley just by bringing a 4-pack of AA batteries every once in a while for the cooks to use in their walkman's.  

gods underneath the MM's of course (who ruled the entire boat with an iron fist)
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is life on a carrier:

Pros:
Regular mail
Easy to keep fit (gyms and flight deck to run on)
Easy duty rotation (lots of manpower)

Cons:
West Pac (6 month deployment, may be changing soon though)
5000 other idiots on board with you
Lots of bored Chiefs and MAA's who want to harass you

I am now proud that I served but I was soooo happy to get out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Pros:
Regular mail

Cons:

here is life on a sub

Pros:
fresh air
fresh food
mail
telephone calls
sunshine
time off
Not having to deal with 5000 idiots and surface coners (the worst kind!) <shudder>

Cons:
hmm..this could take a while    
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

gods underneath the MM's of course (who ruled the entire boat with an iron fist)

well, we had "rumble in condensate bay" during every field day and we never lost to the mechanics.  we would pull up all the deck plates and the em's would start forward and the mm's aft and who ever pushed the other to the opposite side won.  i know, the things you do to maintain your sanity while underway (like snowball fights in erll while on a northern run... we scraped the frost off of the msw piping and had a snowball fight everyday for weeks).  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#15]
My experience has been in the other half of the sub fleet. [109 months of opsub and countinghead.gif] All good submariners know that "STS" stands for "Shower Tech Submarines". Talking about gods - the true gods of the boat were the A gangers.... Just piss one of those guys of and qual's can quickly become a living nightmare. Not even a nuke can completly bypass them because they will load your ships board with the A div heavy who will set out to scuttle your chances of passing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#16]

"gods underneath the MM's of course (who ruled the entire boat with an iron fist)

well, we had "rumble in condensate bay" during every field day and we never lost to the mechanics.  we would pull up all the deck plates and the em's would start forward and the mm's aft and who ever pushed the other to the opposite side won.  i know, the things you do to maintain your sanity while underway (like snowball fights in erll while on a northern run... we scraped the frost off of the msw piping and had a snowball fight everyday for weeks).  "

funny how the nukes on the boats always did the same stuff. We had alot of big guys and could usually take the EM's when it came to wrestling. It was usually in MSW/ASW bay and shaft alley though (COB was too lazy to get back there). I never did the northern run, but i will tell you what, I have seen SW injection temperature over 90 degrees ....couldnt even hit a high bell on the surface without breaking a M/E limit
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
"but i will tell you what, I have seen SW injection temperature over 90 degrees ....couldnt even hit a high bell on the surface without breaking a M/E limit

Persian Gulf?

It was pretty apparent that Nimitz-Class carriers were designed for the North Atlantic.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I take it you are a Flight Sturgon...
Naval Aviation medicine has it's shit in one sock.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"but i will tell you what, I have seen SW injection temperature over 90 degrees ....couldnt even hit a high bell on the surface without breaking a M/E limit

Persian Gulf?

It was pretty apparent that Nimitz-Class carriers were designed for the North Atlantic.

yes, in the gulf....and not a carrier....688I
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#20]
NUKE= first on the boat last to leave. It sure was nice being an NAV ET.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I figured out my flight time from my Naval service.

I have a little over 396 days worth of flight time....2-12 hours at a time.

Quoted:
Ha...I was a nuke....Springfield (SSN-761) did my time and two trips to the sandbox in the submarine (out of the 4 years 2 months I was there, I figured I did close TO 2 YEARS UNDERWATER, the longest stretch being about 2 months straight), and couldnt wait to get out.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
NUKE= first on the boat last to leave. It sure was nice being an NAV ET.

NAV ET = waste of oxygen  

kidding.....not really.....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
"gods underneath the MM's of course (who ruled the entire boat with an iron fist)

well, we had "rumble in condensate bay" during every field day and we never lost to the mechanics.  we would pull up all the deck plates and the em's would start forward and the mm's aft and who ever pushed the other to the opposite side won.  i know, the things you do to maintain your sanity while underway (like snowball fights in erll while on a northern run... we scraped the frost off of the msw piping and had a snowball fight everyday for weeks).  "

funny how the nukes on the boats always did the same stuff. We had alot of big guys and could usually take the EM's when it came to wrestling. It was usually in MSW/ASW bay and shaft alley though (COB was too lazy to get back there). I never did the northern run, but i will tell you what, I have seen SW injection temperature over 90 degrees ....couldnt even hit a high bell on the surface without breaking a M/E limit

yeah, i remember that when we went to Puerto Rico (high sw injection temp) and I saw 29F temp on the northern run and I work at a commercial plant now and we always have vacuum problems especially now in the summer.  we shoot condensers all the time.  we didn't have to worry about the cob, our XO was the field day nazi.  he was quoted many times saying "field day 'til I say it's clean!!"  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Tell your brother that I say "Thanks, SHIPMATE!" for his upcoming service to our country.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#25]
It was a good thing that they trained me to troubleshoot a surface-search radar in A School /sarcasm off

Where else could you, as a 22 year old kid, operate a nuclear reactor, then get to go scrub shitters?

Live the adventure!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Most painful jobs on a boomer.... in order.
1. Nuke [Freaking steam pigs]
2. A gang [ da poop pumpers]
3. MT [ once refered to by a COB of mine as "the most ruthless bastards i have ever met"]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

What site are you at?  I was class 9005 @ S3G in Ballston Spa.  We were the last class before they retired the unit.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#28]

I work at a commercial plant now and we always have vacuum problems especially now in the summer.  we shoot condensers all the time.  

I work at a commercial plant now as well. Push button, collect paycheck. Take reading, collect paycheck. Endure Refueling Outage, collect big paycheck. Repeat as needed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I work at a commercial plant now and we always have vacuum problems especially now in the summer.  we shoot condensers all the time.  

I work at a commercial plant now as well. Push button, collect paycheck. Take reading, collect paycheck. Endure Refueling Outage, collect big paycheck. Repeat as needed.

I refused to do the nuke power thing after I got out of the service (had enough while I was in). I am a student now (a poor one at that) pre-vet.

what do you guys do specifically..and how much $$$$. From my understanding, hot operator was where the money is...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I refused to do the nuke power thing after I got out of the service (had enough while I was in). I am a student now (a poor one at that) pre-vet.

what do you guys do specifically..and how much $$$$. From my understanding, hot operator was where the money is...

i work at a gas fired plant now, had the chance to work at one of the two nuke sites the company has, but i promoted much faster here.  I'm transferring to a combined cycle plant next month.  I made $82,000.00 last year.  the nuke boys make big time retaining bonus' down here. i think it's around $15,000.00 every 3 years.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I avoided nuclear power for a few years as well, but I made $91,000 last year. That includes mucho overtime, though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:53:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Gotta love the number of vets on this board.
Couldn't talk him out of nuke...is a very bright kid: physics and math major. His 2nd choice was USMC if you can believe that! He is in shape for it, has several black belts, but I guess the intellectual appeal of subs got to him.
I went brownshoe and had the time of my life. Hope he enjoys it!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Tell him to go SWO Nuke.

Go to the carrier and get it over with.  Spend the rest of your days either in prototype or the real fleet.

I did my Youngster Cruise on a sub (USS Sunfish, SSN-649), and while fun for a couple of weeks, I went to the nuke surface line when push came to shove.

Maybe my recollection of fun times on Sunfish was tinted by the fact that the crew in my division were some hardcore Isle of Palms (we were in Charleston) party animals and I spent most of my time on liberty drunk at night or at the beach during the day.

Do you remember the WindJammer?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Pros:
Regular mail

Cons:

You forgot the biggest con: airdales in charge.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Persian Gulf?

Well, having been a propulsion plant watch officer on THE Nimitz, I never had much trouble answering any bell in the PG in June and July.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tell him to go SWO Nuke.

Do you remember the WindJammer?

Probably.  Was that a beach bar in Isle of Palms?

Dude, we're talking 1985 here, and remember what I said:

I spent most of my time on liberty drunk at night or at the beach during the day

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#37]
congrats to your brother!

I was an ET and we just let the MM's and EM's think they were gods :p

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Congratulations, Classmate!

So tell me, WTF did you let your kid brother go ROTC?

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Dude! I guess is that he wanted to hang out w chicks with less facial hair than himself!!!!

Ya doing ok, dude?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Hangin' in there as best I can...

Good point! No WUBA's in ROTC!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:13:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

HAHA...the ET's cowered in the outboards whenever the MM's were around. The EM's were kind of the go between for the ET's and MM's
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HAHA...the ET's cowered in the outboards whenever the MM's were around. The EM's were kind of the go between for the ET's and MM's

Thay may have been true once, but when I left the Enterprise. RC division could have handed the RMs their asses without breaking a sweat.  I never did figure out how those skinny guys could operate all those valves.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Hangin' in there as best I can...

Good point! No WUBA's in ROTC!

I hit a WUBA.  She was freaky!

88 RULES!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What site are you at?  I was class 9005 @ S3G in Ballston Spa.  We were the last class before they retired the unit.  

Charleston, MTS 635.....class 0403

edit: my boat is an S5W

Question....were any of you sub MMs welders? Im seriously considering putting in for it. I hear its a pretty easy 10 weeks in Groton.

Im also working my ASS off so I can maybe one day make diver....physical fitness is a son of a bitch when you work nuke hours. I did my last PFA in 10:06 though(1.5). I was 3rd out of 70 or so
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Charleston, MTS 635.....class 0403

edit: my boat is an S5W

Question....were any of you sub MMs welders? Im seriously considering putting in for it. I hear its a pretty easy 10 weeks in Groton.

Im also working my ASS off so I can maybe one day make diver....physical fitness is a son of a bitch when you work nuke hours. I did my last PFA in 10:06 though(1.5). I was 3rd out of 70 or so

A buddy of mine was a welder/diver and yes, if you get a chance to go to weld school you should go.  I got approved to go to dive school, but by the time my command could afford to lose me for that long, I was less than a year from getting out and they said it would be pointless for them to let me go.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#46]
SWO Daddy! You hit a WUBA!?!?!?!

EEEWWWWWWWWW!

Watch out for that synthetic trou snapback!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Congratulations, Classmate!

So tell me, WTF did you let your kid brother go ROTC?

Smart people go NROTC.  I haven't met a single person from the Academy that enjoyed their experience.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#48]
I was a Nav ET on the USS Alabama for four patrols and I always thought the Nukes were treated 'special'.  As I recall they had their own watch sections while in port and while at sea I never once saw any of them field daying, even in the engine room when I was  back there cleaning their space!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#50]
After reading this thread (which is rare), I'm so in awe!

Thank you for your service, gentlemen.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top