Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 4:41:12 PM EDT
I've been following this site since the Wesley Clark candidacy.  What's the consensus on David H. Hackworth's credibility?

Soldiers for the Truth
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Hackworth is a loud mouth for what he believes in, which may or may not be the right thing. I think he mostly likes to complain. Sometimes he gets things changed for the better.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty dang credible as far as I can glean.  I like him.  You can read his bio and such plus articles at
www.hackworth.com and decide for yourself.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Pretty dang credible as far as I can glean.  I like him.  You can read his bio and such plus articles at

he likes to whine.

I don't think I know one person in the military who would vote for kerry.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

he likes to whine.

I know several.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Cute little low-post s. Don't the Dem Mobies get it yet? Didn't work when you tried to prop up that insane bastard Wesley Clark as a candidate, isn't working with John F'in 'Reporting for Duty' Kerry, and endlessly recycling the theme isn't going to win you anything.
Definition of Insanity / LLLiberals - repeating the same mistake over and over again, expecting a different result.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

he likes to whine.

I know several.

As do I....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Why do you think he is credible? Be cause he tells you he is at www.hackworth.com.

Hackworth is not the most reliable source of opinion, and he verges on crackpot most of the time. He has been wrong FAR more times than he has been right on military issues in the last 20 years. www.hackworth.com is not the best place to get an idea what this guy is about

He predicted 10,000 US casualties in the 1st Gulf War, disaster, ect…

He has gone from supporting this Gulf War… to not… to back to supporting… to back to not.

Hackworth is mostly a self promoting ass.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Hackworth is a one-horse, one-story broken record.

For a good indicator of Hackworth's credibility, check out Mark Bowden's assessment of him in Blackhawk Down.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you think he is credible? Be cause he tells you he is at www.hackworth.com.

Hackworth is not the most reliable source of opinion, and he verges on crackpot most of the time. He has been wrong FAR more times than he has been right on military issues in the last 20 years. www.hackworth.com is not the best place to get an idea what this guy is about

He predicted 10,000 US casualties in the 1st Gulf War, disaster, ect…

He has gone from supporting this Gulf War… to not… to back to supporting… to back to not.

Hackworth is mostly a self promoting ass.

Sounds like just the man to promote Kerry's campaign.

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#10]
How about when HACKworth(less) was pinging ADM Boorda about a combat V on a Navy Comm, he was claiming a Ranger tab he did not earn?

Unfortunately, that episode resulted in the death of the wrong person. Iron Mike was a great man and the best CNO since ADM Z.

His accounts are often inaccurate and based on nothing more than scuttlebutt.

He's just some Col. who couldn't make star, so instead of being introspective he decides that the system is so flawed because it didn't recognize his brilliance, IMO.

To sum up, I wouldn't cross the street to piss on him if he was on fire, but I would if he wasn't.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Hackworth's name is highly descriptive of his recent output. what's a hack worth?

Seriously though, Hackworth's entire schtick is based on his warrior accomplishments of 35 years ago after which time he failed to demonstrate the larger scale leadership qualities required for higher command and his career stalled.  He bailed out and started bitching, moaning and complaining.  

It's easy to make a living bitching because you never actually have to prove that you can actually do it better, all you have to do is rip into the other guy.

The guy is leveraging his past glories, but otherwise produces little of value.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You're not gleaning very far.  He flip-flops more than Kerry ever dreamed.  He's only happy when he's bitching.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey the Du called, said something about wanting the pivot man for their circle jerk back.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out troll.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Hack is full of himself and an asshole.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Hackworth is a jackass.

I'm too lazy to elaborate further, but it's true.

As far as whether or not soldiers will vote for Kerry, I would break it down like this:

45% of military personnel won't vote at all. Much worse in deployed units, it's a PITA to get a absentee ballot.

45% will vote for Bush.

8% will vote for Kerry.

2% will vote or Nader, or Libertarian, or Constitution Party or assorted crackpots.....

That's just my assesment based on knowing a lot of military people and seeing them every day for years.  There are a lot of young troops who like to bitch who will spout anti-Bush BS on demand, but they don't really much give a shit and won't bother to vote.  Those guys will be conservatives by the time they hit 30.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#17]
He is his biggest fan.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Hack is a true combat hero. But that doesn't qualify to be an authority on some thing he knows nothing about. The guy is trying to make a buck now as a TV talking head its too bad. because I respect his service to our country
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hackworth's name is highly descriptive of his recent output. what's a hack worth?

Seriously though, Kerry's entire schtick is based on his warrior accomplishments of 35 years ago after which time he failed to demonstrate the larger scale leadership qualities required for higher command and his career stalled.  He bailed out and started bitching, moaning and complaining.  

It's easy to make a living bitching because you never actually have to prove that you can actually do it better, all you have to do is rip into the other guy.

The guy is leveraging his past glories, but otherwise produces little of value.

To qualify, I will give Hackworth his due from 35 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

For a good indicator of Hackworth's credibility, check out Mark Bowden's assessment of him in Blackhawk Down.

And Bowden evaluated a lot of people including Clinton and did a good job IMO.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And Bowden evaluated a lot of people including Clinton and did a good job IMO.

If we are going to bring up Haclkworth from the early 1990s - how about his allegations against Mike Durant?  That was inexcusable - and he has NEVER apologized.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:01:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Post #1 for the troll

What's the BIGGEST Liberal-Mobile Where You Live?  Old VWs, Ford and Chevy SUVs.

Post#2 for the troll

Don't You Kind of Feel bad/ashamed for Kerry?I mean damn, its like watching a dog with rabies die.  

"You will determine whether rage or reason guides the United States in the
struggle to come.

You will choose whether we are known for revenge or
compassion.

You will choose whether we, too, will kill in the name of God, or
whether in His Name, we can find a higher civilization and a better means of
settling our differences."

Gen. (Ret.) Wesley K. Clark] 2003

Post#3 for the troll

WTF is up w/ springsteen?  

"I felt I lived the prototypical American life - the way I grew up, the town I grew up in, my family life. Things that I cared about, things that I aspired to, they were just something that naturally came to me when I wrote. I think that this particular election is, at the core, a debate about the soul of the nation. I think we can move toward greater economic justice for all of our citizens, or we cannot. I think we can move toward a sane, responsible foreign policy, or we cannot. For me, these are issues that go right to the heart of the spiritual life of the nation. That is something I have written about. It cannot be abandoned and is worth fighting and fighting and fighting for."

- Bruce Springsteen

Result= Troll in the open All Batterys Fire for Effect.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I could give a shit less about anything that Hack and his website have to say...

+1 he's a joke.
the military and their families overwhelmingly supports President Bush
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#25]
More figures from Bush's past want to set the record straight about Bush's shameful shortcomings

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the replies - I've seen his articles a few times in the past couple of years and found his views inconsistent, and appealing to emotion rather than truth and substance.  

Regardless of his service record, he should have immediately resigned from Newsweek and public discourse following his interview set-up and the subsequent suicide of Admiral Boorda.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
More figures from Bush's past want to set the record straight about Bush's shameful shortcomings

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top