Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 3:37:02 PM EDT
May the great state of Texas and all concerned citizens help this Grand Lady. I saw her in drydock in Galveston 14 years ago and didn't realize how much maintance it takes to keep these wonders of history alive.
www.nbc5i.com/news/3754604/detail.html

I have seen her and the Mighty Mo and the difference in these two ships built.....what 30-40 years apart is amazing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
May the great state of Texas and all concerned citizens help this Grand Lady. I saw her in drydock in Galveston 14 years ago and didn't realize how much maintance it takes to keep these wonders of history alive.
www.nbc5i.com/news/3754604/detail.html

I have seen her and the Mighty Mo and the difference in these two ships built.....what 30-40 years apart is amazing.

The only way to save her in the state she is now is the way the Japanese preserved the 1902 Battleship Mikasa, put her in a dry dock and fill it with concrete up to the waterline.

www.midwaysailor.com/mikasa/

Andy
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#2]
If its floating, it is going to rust!  The Mighty Mo was a rust bucket when I saw her last year.  The corrosion was insidius.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top