Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 3:17:19 PM EDT
I just heard a report on Fox that said there were counties in FL that are restricting the sale of  firearms.  

Sounds like they are helping the looters out down there.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet a ban on sales of ammo is not too far behind.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Apparently a bunch of people are going to think "Hell, NOWs a good time to become a criminal... lets go get a gun!"

Jesus H Christ.   The ones you gotta worry about are career criminals... anyone else tends to be a dumbass or a teenager.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep. It happened last time too. They want to be seen as doing something to prevent looting.
I think the curfews are a more sensible idea, it makes it easier to tell the difference between the good guys and the bad guys.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#4]
That's nothing.  Our sherriff (who is a professional idion incidentally) went on the news Saturday night to tell everyone he was taking his deputies off the street if we got to 40 mph winds.  If I was of a mind, I'd be a lootin motherfucker come 41 mph winds.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Let's assume some thinking is being done here.

People that understand and know how to use firearms already have them?  Hmmm Yes

People that run out and buy them in an emergency are probably more of a danger to good people including family and neighbors?  since they haven't a clue on how to use them.  Hmmm Yes

Bad guys may decide they need to protect themselves from PREPARED folks and  those other rush out and buy guys.  Hmm Yeah

So does it make sense for the state to protect more folks than get hurt?  yeah.  Git real  upset if they don't lift the ban, but right now it makes sense.

If you add alcohol to the above mix  and just add drunks to the mixture.  

what do you think?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
During the summer, Floridians shouldn't need to run out and buy ammo.

I have enough mags and ammo for 1,000+ looters.

They never show up though!

HS1
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

People that understand and know how to use firearms already have them?  Hmmm Yes

People that run out and buy them in an emergency are probably more of a danger to good people including family and neighbors?  since they haven't a clue on how to use them.  Hmmm Yes

Bad guys may decide they need to protect themselves from PREPARED folks and  those other rush out and buy guys.  Hmm Yeah

So does it make sense for the state to protect more folks than get hurt?  yeah.  Git real  upset if they don't lift the ban, but right now it makes sense.

what do you think?

Don't use logic that defies the standard "All guns, all the time" mantra around here.  That'll get you ignored or worse.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#8]
it was funny - either st. johns or flagler county cut off beer and boose sales till monday a.m.

Just another thing to add to the list of emergency supplys.

while my wife was buying water and other supplys last Friday she did see two guys buying a cart load of beer.

later,

Badredfish

Edited to add - with a three day wait to buy a handgun - we would be talking about long guns.  to me restricting people would only make them want them more.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#9]
After Ivan, the curfews were the best deterrent to looting.

In Escambia county, the SWAT team handled the enforcement well.  They had a helo up and were spotting bad guys using their IR.  If you were out after curfew but were only walking your dog, you weren't hassled.  If you were caught in a neighborhood that you didn't live in and had tools with you - well, then you got cited for curfew violation and thrown in the county lockup.  Also, since the courts weren't up and running, they get to sit in there and wait until they do open up.

Basically, my firearms were my most unused part of my hurricane preparations.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That's nothing.  Our sherriff (who is a professional idion incidentally) went on the news Saturday night to tell everyone he was taking his deputies off the street if we got to 40 mph winds.  If I was of a mind, I'd be a lootin motherfucker come 41 mph winds.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Hurricane preparedness kits should include plenty of firearms, at least 1000 round of ammo for each, several cases of beer, and several liters of Maker's Mark.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

HS1

Only 1,000 ? ... lightweight.

Ryan
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I tell you FEMA will be our undoing !    ......j/k(maybe)
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what do you think?

Don't use logic that defies the standard "All guns, all the time" mantra around here.  That'll get you ignored or worse.  

What amendment is it thats says the constitution only applies in nice weather and not to people who are ill-prepared?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds reasonable to me. They should ban generators and chainsaws as well. Untrained people can really hurt themselves with those things.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HS1

Only 1,000 ? ... lightweight.

Ryan

hee hee, I think I have 3x more in 22lr, let alone 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I tell you FEMA will be our undoing !    ......j/k(maybe)

Actually, the FEMA folks were the shiznit after Ivan.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

WTF over??

I have worked in 40mph+ winds numerous times.  Several times a year, actually.  Each spring.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Sounds reasonable to me. They should ban generators and chainsaws as well. Untrained people can really hurt themselves with those things.

yep more folks hurt from that  ,,than guns and beer,,,, well,,, at leats the guns part!lol,,mine never left  the house!!11
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#21]
They did this for Francis, but have not heard it for the latest one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what do you think?

What amendment is it thats says the constitution only applies in nice weather and not to people who are ill-prepared?

good question
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Pa Danby's Rules for looking out for #1 apply.  Which in his case is Pa Danby.

Pa Danby  has been around poor shooters who were unsafe.

Pa Danby has been around drunks and seen the havoc they can cause

Pa Danby can imagine what drunks with guns can do in a blind panic or drunken belligerency.

Pa Danby thinks if you  aren't a "Boy Scout" and are not trained and prepared beforehand you are too stupid to be trusted with firearms.  Like it or not stupid and firearms are dangerous to Pa Danby, ergo, he doesn't like the combination

Here endeth the lesson..
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Pa Danby's Rules for looking out for #1 apply.  Which in his case is Pa Danby.

Pa Danby  has been around poor shooters who were unsafe.

Pa Danby has been around drunks and seen the havoc they can cause

Pa Danby can imagine what drunks with guns can do in a blind panic or drunken belligerency.

Pa Danby thinks if you  aren't a "Boy Scout" and are not trained and prepared beforehand you are too stupid to be trusted with firearms.  Like it or not stupid and firearms are dangerous to Pa Danby, ergo, he doesn't like the combination

Here endeth the lesson..

There are already laws about that shit. I forgot you were king.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#25]
None of that shit here when Ivan hit.

Johnny_Reno, I agree, but they were not arresting peole just because they were out (which you stated)... We were all out doing stuff, I actually had 3 ECSD guys fly by me @ 11.30p night #2, no problems.

I agree w/ you on the FEMA guys, also the NG, PPD, ECSD, and the power guys... There are some "disturbing" stories about LE people from other departments that came to help.
They had a mini-riot in the village the other night... I split Fri to go spend the weekend w/ my girl, boy PNS really does stink, I didn't believe it until I came back.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#26]
It happened here for Charley in Lee County.
Wally pulled guns, airguns, paintball guns, and all ammo into the back.
They said they were not allowed to sell them.

Fire, PD, SO and EMS were all to be off the road and not responding to calls when winds above 40 MPH.

I dont know if anything was done about booze or during any of the following storms. Im stocked up now  on supplies and dont need to go near the stores when it gets close.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Who the hell is looking for beer and ammo after the huricane? These things are just as important as the water and flashights. These must be new Floridians fresh from N.Y.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

...Johnny_Reno, I agree, but they were not arresting peole just because they were out (which you stated)... We were all out doing stuff, I actually had 3 ECSD guys fly by me @ 11.30p night #2, no problems.

No, I didn't state that they were arresting people solely because they were out.  They were snatching the bad guys when it was evident that they were up to no good.

i.e. Out after curfew, not where they live, no reason to be where they are and with burglary tools.

When it was evident that they caught someone who was obviously interested in looting, they could use curfew violation as a premise in removing them from the street.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I was there for canned goods and to see what they had left if any lanterns.

Here the gun stuff is in an island and cannot be missed. If it makes any diff, this was b4 the hurricane.

I dont know if it goes by county, or all of us when it is declared a state of emergency....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

what do you think?

Yep.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top