Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 2:48:35 PM EDT
What do you think of these knifes? what about the gunsite series or the survival rescue knife?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I have owned a couple of CS knives, and overall they are pretty good. Their knives are tough and have withstood all the abuse I have put them through. They are sharp as heck, and the carbon steel blades hold an edge pretty well. I am a fan of their Recon-1 knives, which are problably the strongest folding knives made....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#2]
srk is good; i'd go w/ any of the full size "mad in the US of A" blades

i'd try to avaoid the foreign made ones,cause they are less quality
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out this older thread on knives:
Educate me about knives

Cold Steel Factory 2nds
"What's wrong with this knife?" We've often heard this comment from people who have bought one of our factory seconds. They got the knife, inspected it and really couldn't understand why it was ever designated a second. Perhaps the profile is off by 1/16" or there is some surface imperfection. Whatever the reason, the flaw is always cosmetic in nature. The steel, heat treatment and the high performance you'd expect from a Cold Steel® knife have not been compromised one bit. Supplies are limited, order yours today!

Notes:
1.) Except for the Bird and Trout Factory Second, all blades are made from our exclusive Carbon V® steel.

2.) The True Flight Thrower Factory Second (#80TFT2) DOES NOT INCLUDE A SHEATH, the optional leather sheath (#S80TFT) is sold separately.

3.) All Seconds (except for the True Flight Thrower) come with a quality sheath. Sheaths are either leather, cordura, or Concealex depending on model and availability. The sheath featured with a "first" quality knife is not necessarily the same as the one that comes with a "second". Choice of sheath is NOT OPTIONAL ON SECONDS.

Seconds are a BY-PRODUCT of the manufacturing process. We DO NOT specifically make them to order. Therefore we cannot accept backorders on factory seconds. Although all the seconds we offer are listed here, they are not ALWAYS available at ALL times. When certain popular models are in stock they often sell out quickly so it pays to check for availability (Toll Free:1-800-255-4716) and place your order as soon as possible.

At these low prices, all sales of factory seconds are FINAL! We will not accept returns for ANY REASON!
------
BTW: Also Cold Steel's life time warranty does not apply to 2nds.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I am extremely picky about blades and dont like SS
If you prefer a carbon blade, I highly recommend the SRK, the powdercoat is very durable, awesome leather.
I saw Wholesale Hunter had them for around $45
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I used one when I was a teenager for several years.  It was decent.  It fit my budget real well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I really like Cold Steel knives.  They are durable, and sharp as heck (I cut my thumb once wiping the blade with a paper towel ).  They are also good priced, so I use the hell out of mine, knowing that its not a priceless Randall or WWII KaBar or something like that.  

One curiousity though, the link above to the factory seconds has pretty high prices.  For comparison, a factory second SRK, without a lifetime warranty is $49.99, while a regular SRK from Wholesale Hunter is $52...kinda weird, huh?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I purchased a Cold Steel Trailmaster and Recon One from a dealer I know.

The Trailmaster has done well, although I'll never buy Cold Steel again.

The Recon One I bought does indeed have the strongest locking mechanism I've ever seen.

However, that did nothing to prevent the serrations on the blade from breaking off while cutting rope at some point during the day.

That's right: cutting rope.

I emailed Cold Steel, described the problem, sent photos of the broken blade, etc. They said "mail it back".

I mailed the knife back through my dealer, they sent the knife back 3 months later. They had taken the teflon-coated blade to a grinder to sharpen it. The thing was razor sharp, but most of the finish was gone. The finish that was left was streaked with scratches.

The serrations were not fixed/blade replaced.

I called them back and got a real smarmy bitch on the phone, despite my being perfectly pleasant on the outside (I have a long fuse). She gave me the run around, finally said to mail it back again, which I did.

I got it back another month later. This time it wasn't even sharpened. No fix, no nothing. They didn't touch it, stored it for a month and mailed it back.

I spoke with my local Cold Steel rep and he simply said to mail it back...again.

No thanks. I'll take my money and that of my friends/family elsewhere.

It's a crying shame too, because I really liked my Recon One.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I much prefer the Cold Steel fixed blades over their folders. A Cold Steel SRK is a great bang for the buck, as is their Recon Tanto. If you can pick up either one of these from their "Seconds" offerings, do so. You won't be disappointed.

When it comes to their folders however, my Gunsite folder is my top pick for "Saturday-in-the-yard-and-chores" knife. I beat the crap out of it, have it re-sharpened at gunshows, and don't give it another thought. I've actually used it to scrape the dried up adhesive underneath floor tiles (that had been there for about ten years). I'm seriously into knives, and would never think of treating my better knives like this, but this thing just begs for it!

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Evil_ATF: The Cold Steel folders are made abroad, the fixed blades are made in the USA. I personally have both Recon Scout & the Trailmaster. Both of these blades are 2nds.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#10]
My ODA is made in Taiwan (I'd rather it be USA, but at least it was made by the good Chinese.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Just Say No
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#12]
i carry a cold Steel "spike" in my boot while i'm on duty. I love it, nice and solid. It could get my fired but i'd rather be unemployed than dead.

J
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#13]
<-----owns several.

<-----would recommend them to anyone.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top