Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 2:29:42 PM EDT
I've noticed a lot of members talking about places or military operations that they have never been to or operated on.  Why do some people talk about this stuff like they were there.  THe funny thing is that members who have been to these places or missions call these people out on the carpet and they look like fools.  It would be like me talking about how shitty the food was in Beirut when I can't even tell you the name of the building  that Marines where located in.  Buy the why I was 8 yrs old when the Marines where in Beirut.  All you fakers knock it off have some respect for the Vets who did serve in those places.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Its kinda funny tho..I dont believe very much I hear on the web...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure I'm tracking what you are saying. Are you talking about people who discuss operations based on what they know, or people that pretend to be vetrans?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've noticed a lot of members talking about places or military operations that they have never been to or operated on.  Why do some people talk about this stuff like they were there.  THe funny thing is that members who have been to these places or missions call these people out on the carpet and they look like fools.  It would be like me talking about how shitty the food was in Beirut when I can't even tell you the name of the building  that Marines where located in.  Buy the why I was 8 yrs old when the Marines where in Beirut.  All you fakers knock it off have some respect for the Vets who did serve in those places.

You're just jealous cuz you didn't get to storm the beach at Normandy on D-Day like I did...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#6]
[bart]We shouldn't make judgements about people or places we've never been...That's what people in Russia do![/bart]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I've only ever pretended to be a war hero at the bar. It actually worked on a chick one time!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've only ever pretended to be a war hero at the bar. It actually worked on a chick one time!

+1
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#9]
It's like this.....

Ever see the series "Cheers"?

There was this character named Cliff and HE...........................................
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I have never pretended to be something I am not, at least on this board. I will tell people things that I did not learn firsthand, if I have good reason to believe its true.

Pretending to be something you are not is low.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#11]

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Curious now..... where exactly on here did you SEE this ?  

Post link(s)   Because we have a LOT of active/retired military folks here.

I'm sure they don't appreciate that accusation unless you can show it happening.....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Dammit, I was a Barret .50 cal sniper and WW1 and nearly killed the Kaiser, you best believe me
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Why do people talk about guns they've never owned?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i was in saudi for a very short time in GW1 I couldn't tell you the name of the camp or 1/2 the details about the place. I can tell you the chow hall was not that bad. We deployed around so much it all becomes a blur after 15 years or so. Stayed busy 99% of the time on deployments and had VERY little time to worry about such things.

As for the fakers, Same reason they post here about guns they never owned or have seen.

mike

Saudi's easy Mike,

Lot's of sand and too many fuckin flies…

Andy
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Why do people talk about guns they've never owned?

There is actually good reason for that.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#18]
+1 Doorgunner on the Space Shuttle.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You're a '74 model… you youngsters, you missed all the good stuff!…

Andy
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I was a Delta Ring Team Leader.  No lie.  I was there.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I admit it, I once had a discussion about the battle of the bulge, and being that I am way under 50yo, I obviously wasn't there, next time I will shut up and only discuss things that I took part in. Which pretty much leaves me with nothing but stories about bars in Korea.

You remember the bar in Itaewon, at the top floor above the Boston Club? I think it was called the Twilight Zone.  They had great Strawberry Daquiries and Bulgogi.  That was my idea of a "fancy place" when I was 19.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Curious now..... where exactly on here did you SEE this ?  

Post link(s)   Because we have a LOT of active/retired military folks here.

I'm sure they don't appreciate that accusation unless you can show it happening.....

Wasted effort. 'yellowdog(democrat)' is just giving a long-winded version of the LLLeft's "chickenhawk" non-argument. No doubt along with the rest of the recent batch of 100-post s, it was told 'check out this wingnut hotbed' before it even came here.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I admit it, I once had a discussion about the battle of the bulge, and being that I am way under 50yo, I obviously wasn't there, next time I will shut up and only discuss things that I took part in. Which pretty much leaves me with nothing but stories about bars in Korea.

You remember the bar in Itaewon, at the top floor above the Boston Club? I think it was called the Twilight Zone.  They had great Strawberry Daquiries and Bulgogi.  That was my idea of a "fancy place" when I was 19.  

The Twilight Zone was the very last bar I got drunk in before I derosed back to CONUS.

Many good times in Itaewon.  hookerhill, ma's kettle shops, and cheap food and beer.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't you know, everyone on ARFcom is liar
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I had to leave from the Turtle Farm, I had to spend my last night outside of Camp Casey.  Guess who slept on the whole plane ride back?  I liked Itaewon a lot better.  It was as short a bus ride from Camp Greaves as it was to Casey.

If I was single again, looking back, I would take my vacations there.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd also point people like 'yellowdog' to read up on the likes of Micah Wright - a LLLeftist Ideologue that for some time told all who would listen about his being a former Army Ranger. The Left used his writings as justification / reinforcement of their insane viewpoints about the US Mil. And when the whole thing came unraveled, Micah had to recant, but the memes he bolstered still breath.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I had to leave from the Turtle Farm, I had to spend my last night outside of Camp Casey.  Guess who slept on the whole plane ride back?  I liked Itaewon a lot better.  It was as short a bus ride from Camp Greaves as it was to Casey.

If I was single again, looking back, I would take my vacations there.

You were at Casey too - how 'bout that.  I was with the 5/20th.  I had much freedom during my week of outprocessing.  The entire unit went up for the DMZ rotation and there was only 3 people left in the compny area.  That gave me 5 days to clear, get hammered, and visit the turtle bars a few last times.

My last night was in Seoul - Itaewon was calling me for the final hurrah and I answered.

Boy, have I got some stories from that last week in the ROK.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#28]
i was the guy who pressed the button for the death star lazer beam dont ask how i survived........
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Did I ever tell you guys the story about the problems I had with the ascent engine on the LEM in the Sea of Tranquility?

CW
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#31]
There are a number of reasons my young friend, the foremost being this is the "general discussion" forum.
Not withstanding posers, it is alright for people to discuss history which is everything that happened before today. That includes people who werent there otherwise all discussion of events would cease after the death of the last participant.
Monday morning quarterbacking is also OK in its place, as it can help us to gather lessons learned on Sunday and better courses of action in the future.
Now shut up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Did I ever tell you about my time in the Brown Water Navy on a PBR with this yellow LT? Should've fragged the fucker. Name was like Perry? No...Terry? No...I don't remember, we just called him Lt. Scarey. I heard, after he got done protesting and betraying his country, he went on into politics and married some ketchup bitch...

Warning: Some lies may contain truth.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Guess you have no use for Stephen Ambrose?
As long as people aren't lying about being there, sometimes the best guy to tell you about a battle isn't the grunt who held onto 10 yards of trench for two weeks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I was at greaves, about 2 klicks south of the DMZ.  I know Etaewon because that was the best place to go to party (when you have 24 hours).  Cinderella passes we went to Munson.

I think our chow was the best in the division,we had a company mess hall and the MessSgt wasn't crooked.  Or if he was he put some of his profits back in the service.  We had steak and lobster every other friday or so.  I also gave my liquer ration (half or so) to the cooks, that squared me away.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I forgot all about ration cards!  lol - I swung a few sweet deals with some outside rationing.

And the slot machines in the NCO clubs were easy enough to manipulate.  We win just enough to get free beer on post before going down range.

Man, that seems like ages ago.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'd also point people like 'yellowdog' to read up on the likes of Micah Wright - a LLLeftist Ideologue that for some time told all who would listen about his being a former Army Ranger. The Left used his writings as justification / reinforcement of their insane viewpoints about the US Mil. And when the whole thing came unraveled, Micah had to recant, but the memes he bolstered still breath.

It is true some people can turn any conversation into a political debate.  I like to discuss war , tatics, stories, spec ops.  I have no problem with people doing that.  Just don't talk like you were there if you were not.  Check out the History thread.  You will find a guy talking about Desert One in Iran.  Although he thought it was in Iraq.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're just jealous cuz you didn't get to storm the beach at Normandy on D-Day like I did...

You're just lucky I jumped in the night before and took out that Panzer division....
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Beats me.

But this one time, at band camp....
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm no war hero, but I was the first man to land on Uranus.  We had trouble penetrating her surface, but luckily NASA supplied us with lots of Astro-lube.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Yeah baby, that's right.  I'm an ALCM pilot!!

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Everyplace I have said I was at or visited, or even done is 100% true. I don't have time to lie to you guys because it ALWAYS comes back to bite you in the ass.
I also don't mention any Mil ops I have been on because it was advised to me after I left the Mil. that it would not be in my best interest to say anything about it. So I keep my mouth shut.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top