Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 12:11:36 PM EDT
So I just got a house in may and I have a warrenty that will pay for my dishwasher.  They will either put in a GE Dishwasher or they will give me 314 dollers and I can get one myself.  I think I want to get one myself but I am not sure.  Has anyone else had to do any shopping for one of these latley?  I think I want an energy saver but am not sure how much that helps. Thanks for input.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a GE Hot Point, I had it about 5 and a half years and then KABAM, no more workie....

I went and bought a Whirlpool, So far so good...

Cost was around $250 or so, it also has alot of options, that I dont use....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the money and go shopping.  You can find clearance items or get good deals when they change models.  I got a Whirlpool last year from Lowes that was being discontinued.  Regular price on it was $499 but I got it for $350.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I got a Bosch a few months ago,  It costed over a couple hundred thousand dollars, but I got a free house to go along with it.

It is really quiet, somthing like 55dB!  There are no external buttons on it either.  I really like the thing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I had a GE Hot Point, I had it about 5 and a half years and then KABAM, no more workie....

I went and bought a Whirlpool, So far so good...

Cost was around $250 or so, it also has alot of options, that I dont use....

+2 Whirlpool
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#5]
So if I take the money should I worry about energy savings?  Does that help that much?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So if I take the money should I worry about energy savings?  Does that help that much?

Most will be energy saving, look around when you shop, there should be a yellow tag, telling you all you need to know, I cant remember what my Whirlpool is rated at....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#7]
My dishwasher is getting pretty old, she still works good, but complains a lot.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Bosch..........accept no substitute.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Bosch...The BEST!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Pft . This is why people have kids.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Bosch's are sweet!

I just bought a $650 Kenmore Elite about 1 month ago.  I am very happy with it.  

got my kenmore elite over 2 years ago, Stainless is so pretty
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Kitchenaid base model.... OUTSTANDING
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Bosch..........accept no substitute.  

vmax84

Went looking today and they are very nice.  But me being a newly wed and a new father I can't afford that.  I saw a few maytags and wirlpools I like.  It looks like 377 is the cheapest for what I am looking for.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:58:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, my budget wouldn't allow a Bosch either, but the house I bought already had a real nice Bosch built in, so, guess I'll have to live with it!!    They are awfully nice dishwashers.  Good luck with your purchase.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:26:15 AM EDT
[#17]
     So-called energy saver appliances are one of your basic come-ons in life.  Look at the power cord on a dishwasher.  What do you see?  That's right- it's a simple 110 volt cord.  Now look at the power cord on an electric range, dryer or water heater.  What do you see?  Why yes- a big old fat 220 volt.  What's the correlation?  The 110 volt appliances are ranked as 'Power Savers' and the 220 volt aren't.  Big fat duh-h-h-h.  You can't get the job done and save enough electricity on a 110 volt appliance to waste brain power figuring whether one will 'save' you money.  It's a 'feel good' program concocted by manufacturers and regulators that will NOT help the consumer.

What to buy?  Whirlpool or GE in your price range.  Slight edge to Whirlpool.  Maytag quality control has been slipping too much lately with resultant increase in the rate of repair.  They are coasting on their name.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
     So-called energy saver appliances are one of your basic come-ons in life.  Look at the power cord on a dishwasher.  What do you see?  That's right- it's a simple 110 volt cord.  Now look at the power cord on an electric range, dryer or water heater.  What do you see?  Why yes- a big old fat 220 volt.  What's the correlation?  The 110 volt appliances are ranked as 'Power Savers' and the 220 volt aren't.  Big fat duh-h-h-h.  You can't get the job done and save enough electricity on a 110 volt appliance to waste brain power figuring whether one will 'save' you money.  It's a 'feel good' program concocted by manufacturers and regulators that will NOT help the consumer.

What to buy?  Whirlpool or GE in your price range.  Slight edge to Whirlpool.  Maytag quality control has been slipping too much lately with resultant increase in the rate of repair.  They are coasting on their name.

Wow just the kind of answer I was looking for.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:37:06 AM EDT
[#19]
A year ago, our seven year old GE that came with the house blew its guts all over the floor.  I traced the leak to the pump assy.  Our all-purpose, long-time plumber dude told me it would cost me about $250 to fix...and he recommended I just go buy another one.

I shopped on line and in the stores and finally settled on a Kitchenaid with all the bells and whistles.  The damn thing is so quiet I had to check it to see it was operating.  With the old GE, we could hear it all over the house.  With this new machine, you need to be standing right next to it and listen carefully.  It cleans perfectly with lots less soap, grinds up and flushes all the excess food and has an incredibly deep full tub and infinitely adjustable racks.

I shopped around, got the lowest price, printed it out, then took it into Sears and they beat the price and knocked an additional 10% off.

Now for the bad news...the damn thing cost me about $800.00.  I had my plumber dude install it for another $200.00.

Would I do it again?  Hell yes!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What the hell are you talking about?!?  Voltage doesn't correlate to energy used in any direct manner.  The only thing that using a 240V versus 120V does is allows the manufacturer to up the wattage of the appliance given the same amperage in the household circuit.

Power Saving has nothing to do with the voltage in the line.  You can buy 110V items that use anywhere from 10 watts all the way up to 3600 watts on a 30A circuit.  If dishwasher A uses 2000 watts, and dishwasher B uses 1450 watts, than the electricity savings are real.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the hell are you talking about?!?  Voltage doesn't correlate to energy used in any direct manner.  The only thing that using a 240V versus 120V does is allows the manufacturer to up the wattage of the appliance given the same amperage in the household circuit.

Power Saving has nothing to do with the voltage in the line.  You can buy 110V items that use anywhere from 10 watts all the way up to 3600 watts on a 30A circuit.  If dishwasher A uses 2000 watts, and dishwasher B uses 1450 watts, than the electricity savings are real.

I was wondering about that too. Like one 110 volt appliance can't use less energy than another 110 volt appliance?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:05:59 AM EDT
[#22]
If you want to cut the cost  on operating a dish washer, just punch the button that turns off the heated dry.  That is the item that uses the most power.  When it is done, just open the door a little and pull the top rack out a little.  The warm dishes will dry themselves.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#23]
We had a low end GE dishwasher that the builder installed in our house. The pump started leaking last summer, after about 8.5 years. I too figured it would just easier and more cost effective to buy something newer and better. After doing some research reading Consumer Reports and checking out various models in stores, we decided on a new mid-level GE Profile (PDW8200 or something like that, $630 at Sears) dishwasher and have been EXTREMELY happy with it. One thing my wife really liked about the GE Profile series is the controls. They aren't small, hidden, and difficult to use but not big and blocky looking like the Bosch and the latch is easy to use even with longer fingernails. I also wanted a stainless steel tub and am so far very impressed with how clean it keeps itself. This dishwasher has also proven to be very quiet.

The difference between the old dishwasher and the new one is like night and day. We basically had to pre-wash all the dishes prior to putting them in the old one so they would come out clean. I just always figured that was simply the way things were. After reading an article in Consumer Reports saying that dishes shouldn't have to be pre-washed or even pre-rinsed and in fact doing so was a waste of water, I figured I'd put their claim to the test. I've been just scraping the big chunks off and throwing the dishes, cookware, and utensils in the dishwasher. Dried on oatmeal, rice cereal (stuff seems like cement), whatever, they come out clean. Like I said, I've been very impressed.

Whatever you do, I wouldn't settle for one of those builder's "spec" grade dishwashers. Take the money and find a closeout or add to it and buy an even better one. You won't regret it.

By the way, the Bosch dishwashers are nice and while Consumer Reports had some good things to say about them, they also rated as them as the second highest repair-prone brand.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I shopped around, got the lowest price, printed it out, then took it into Sears and they beat the price and knocked an additional 10% off.

I'll also second Sears. They'll beat prices, they have a 30 day price guarantee, and true 1 year no interest financing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Where did you seem to find the lowest prices to take to sears?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did you seem to find the lowest prices to take to sears?

In my case Sears had the dishwasher on sale and already had the lowest price. But we also checked Home Depot, Lowe's, and the local Mom & Pop appliance stores.

I also found out we could have saved a few bucks buying it through a discount purchasing plan offered by my employer, but we would have had to wait a couple of weeks for delivery and the small savings didn't seem worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top