Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2004 11:28:28 AM EDT
Say for instance you were in charge of US forces. We know Iran is working on developing nuclear weapons and that they aren't far away from having them. We know they are testing new delivery systems that could be capable of delivering them. We know that Iran has long had strong ties to terrorism and that they can't be trusted with WMD's.  Now, how do you deal with Iran?

Do you attack?

What type of  forces do you use?

How many?

Do you have allies? If so, who are they and how will they be involved?

What are your objectives?

How do you achieve them?

What will be your exit strategy?

This could likely turn into a fairly interesting thread considering we have a pretty good number of current and former military people here, as well as our enormous number of military buff's and armchair generals. Feel free to make your plan as short and simple or lengthy and full of details as you wish. I will just ask that nobody divuldge anything that might actually be used in a REAL plan that could in any way compromise such a mission, were it to take place. This includes info about weapons systems also. Just general thoughts on how to conduct such a mission will be fine.

I have a plan that I will add a bit later. It's rather simple and short, so it shouldn't take long. But I'd like to see how others view this situation and how you would deal with it. Just remember this is ONLY for entertainment and "what if" type thinking. Heck, I'm sure such a scenario planning session would appeal to Dungeons and Dragon's folks (D&D), so feel free to join in. But please, no war hammers or bastard swords in this scenario! OK?

OK generals, get to work.

(I look forward to Vito's response to this thread, as I bet it'll be very interesting)
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Work with rebel underground with special forces to have an attack everywhere around the country at once coinside with a rebellion.  On invasion night uprising occurs and helps out our guys.  Massive invasion by air.  Followed by land assault with armor.  Also tactical nukes on nuclear facilities and military bases right before invcasion starts.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#2]
No need to invade Iran. We know where they are building/testing nukes. Bomb them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#3]
NUKE!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#4]
General 2whiskeyP three part plan:

1.  Push big red button

2.  Crack open beer

3.  Relax

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#5]
it starts with a TAC and ends with a NUKE
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Somewhere on the order of 7000 megatons
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Use a hybrid of the strategies used in Afghanistan and the Isreali Occupied territories:

1. Begin a prolonged and intense bombing campaign targeted against all Iranian military complexes. Pound their army, air force and shore patrol/"Navy" and key military, political and religous leaders into dust.

2. Insert special forces to:

a. found, train and coordinate local popular resistence movement (CIA participation would be essential)
b. coordinate targeted air strikes against military, political and religous leaders
c. assassinate military, political and religous leaders as opportunities arise

3. Use CIA operatives to coordinate supply of popular resistence forces with weapons and other war materials from supply points in Iraq and Afghanistan.

4. Have the CIA set up a government in exile and prepare them for placement by the popular resistence.

NO INVASION! If it becomes necessary, you could begin using airstrikes directed at the infrastructure used by the civilan populace to encourage popular uprising. Just like we did in the former Yugoslavia.

ETA - Once the New US friendly government is in power, execution of all sympathizers of the former regime would need to be encouraged.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#8]
If only we had some of those neutron bombs laying around.........
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Massive air strikes followed by an amphib landing from the Persian Gulf, ground assault from Iraq and Afganistan and airborne deployment in the north.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#10]
nuke the world and then get pics
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
NUKE!

+1
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Operation Linebacker III

Cleanup performed by janitor with a push-broom.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#13]
1. I do not want to put a MEB or any CVNs in the Gulf, as Iran can hurt them. However, I have to run 90% of resupply through the Gulf, so I go extra extra heavy on surface vessels.

2. I go with massive airstrikes, followed by highspeed land advance bypassing all cities on D-Day.

3. I either make a landing with the MEB or I don't. To keep Iran guessing I decide on D-Day by flipping a coin.

4. On Dminus1 the 75th lands and captures the nuclear sites, quickly backed up by a 101st brigade as soon as they can get there.

5. I starve out the cities, demanding the heads of the former leaders on spikes before I reopen supply lines and water.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#14]
SPECOPS raids on the Iraq border; knock out groups of insurgents as they prepare to cross into Iraq, all deniable. hopefully they will concentrate forces on or near the border. Then come across the Afgan border with tanks and infantry, occupy Tehran, and smash them on the Iraqi border from both sides.

Then head west into Syria, take out those dicks and link up with the Israelis.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
General 2whiskeyP three part plan:

1.  Push big red button

2.  Crack open beer

3.  Relax

That'll never work!

(I don't drink beer....)
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Do the words Nagasaki and Hiroshima mean anything?? That's the option I'd take.
Violence is the ONLY thing these terrorists know.
Either that, or ship all the registered Democrats there. Matter of fact, that might be a good idea BEFORE nuking the shit outa them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Lets just let Israel do it they aren't very big, but lets face it they got the balls to hit em where it matters most.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Ok, here's my way of thinking:

I would use Afghanistan as a model, because I think A-Stan would be a better comparison to the Iran situation than Iraq. Many of the Iranian people seem to dislike their government but are powerless to do anything about it. Yet, if better equipped and if they had a fighting chance, I think many Iranian citizens might revolt.

Therefore I would start out by looking at areas on the edges of the Iranian border and see if I could locate some groups who I could use as a launching point for a revolution. Think of the Northern Alliance. I feel it would take too many divsisons of troops to mount an Iraq style takeover operation. Plus, I don't think we would be able to get together a large enough coalition (because most of the world is a bunch of pussies) to make it happen that way. So my goal would be to use special ops people to train, organize, lead and to a degree, equip forces behind enemy lines (in border areas) and start an uprising.

The uprising would only be a starting point. I would use lots of air and sea power as well. In fact, I would likely iniate the air war first. Targets would include all known nuclear facilities that were being used in the development of their weapons program. Stealth aircraft would be used to repeatedly pound the underground facilities with bunker busting bombs. Next, the air defense system would be taken down using stealth aircraft and cruise missiles. As the air defense system is weakened to acceptable levels, other vital targets would be hit, (including use of conventional aircraft such as F-15E, F-18, F-16 and B-1B) such as airfields, military bases, military storage depots, communications centers, tanks, aircraft, etc. Basically everything of military value would be levelled. Targets of interest along the shores could be hit by US Naval fire and carrier strikes.

I would mass heavy airpower at bases in Iraq, A-Stan, Turkey and Qatar. As the initial air war against critical military targets and militarily significant industrial targets was near complete, I would launch the uprising in the border areas where US forces were able to infiltrate and link up with possible rebels. First, control would be taken of these small regions near the border. From there, the movement could grow into larger areas, all the while backed by US airpower. It would also allow these areas to be reinforced with regular military units should that need arise.

From there, the movement would spread throughtout the country. American advisors would operate with rebels and call in airstrikes on the Iranian military forces. Tanks, aircraft, and artillery would be targeted to take away the Iranian goverment's advantage and even up the fight. It would be hoped as the movement grew that some of the military units would surrender and swap sides, as the outcome of the conflict became more clear.

Once the regime had been ousted, American forces would be withdrawn with free Iranians left to set-up their own government how they see fit with only minimal US assistance, but with full support. Also, the weapons program would be investigated and mopped up before leaving.

Note that this entire strategy would be dependent upon the Iranian population. If it appeared there would not be enough Iranian civilians who would rise up against the government, I feel the only course of action at this time would be concentrated airstrikes against the nuclear development centers with no ground forces involved or regime change. This would basically be a delaying action as well as a warning that the US will not tolerate Iran going nuclear. But with our committments to Iraq and A-Stan, I feel we would be really too undermanned to launch a successful ground invasion and we certainly would not have enough forces for an occupation. Therefore I feel any current mission would involve covert ops to start an internal revolution to topple the gov or precision airstrikes to take out the nuclear production facilities before weapons are completed.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I say we take of and nuke the site from orbit.....It's the only way to be sure!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#20]
First I'd go into Korea then to Iran....And then etc etc...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#21]
if you wanted to be evil and avoid political repurcussions,  then a tactical nuke at their "enrichment" facility could easily be called an "accident"

hell the Iranians would prob think it was an accident too
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
if you wanted to be evil and avoid political repurcussions,  then a tactical nuke at their "enrichment" facility could easily be called an "accident"

Unless, of course, you knew anything about nuclear physics.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#23]
We can't afford to be an occupying force.

Bomb the shit out of them from the air and use airborne troops to occupy and destroy critical ground installations that cannot be hit from the air.

Use special forces to coordinate rebels to finish off what is left of the government.

Ignore the CIA.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Other than the fact that the isotope tracers
would point back to Oak Ridge, TN.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

And a permanent National Monument to Oak Ridge TN and their good folks contribution to a better planet, would then be very appropriate.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And a permanent National Monument to Oak Ridge TN and their good folks contribution to a better planet, would then be very appropriate.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#28]
How about we buy some Commie Nukes from the black market, and use ome or two.  Yea, I know to much Tom Clancy, but hey. why not.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#29]
The Best solution, would be an outright covert operation to, cause an accident in their weapons development areas. Followed by a few targeted assasinations. A more active component could be then used to take out military installations. Tlams and Bunker busters would be the order of the day. Let the destabilized country's rebellion take root, as well as letting militants group up.  Then use targeted operations to eliminate obvious groupings before an all out land/armor component moves outside the cities.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#30]
No need to invade.

Take out the appropriate facilities and facilitate the  rebellion by locals.  If they take many years to beat each other, oh well.  No need for troops in Iran.  The country is rapidly approaching Civil War anyway.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#31]
"ARMCHAIR GENERALS" - So far, this thread looks more like "Still Living in Moms Basement" - Generals.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Nothing.

If they get close to actual weapons development, Israel will take them out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#33]
you all have it wrong.....we need to level Saudi Arabia and take their oil then screw iran!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Do a search on "Israel 5000 smart bombs "
I think we have already decided how to deal with Iran.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Sit on their border- draw them in.
When they attack- and they will.
Retailiate with airstrikes in an in-ordinaite manner; repeat as needed.
No ground troops.
No rebuilding effort.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#36]
1. Let the Israelis bomb their reactor.  Deny knowledge or involvement.
2. Wait for the inevitable overthrow of the mullahs by Iranian college students.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#37]
supply inteligence and equipment to Israel. sit back and watch.

barring that air and naval strikes on their reactor and missile sights as well as their extremists religious leaders
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#38]
OK… here we go…

Unfortunately I think things may go to shit very quickly, Israel will probably launch a pre-emptive strike  and we will have the Mother of All Mess's in Iran… little we can do on that score.

Now in an Ideal world scenario:

Firstly, a bit of background. Iran is not an Arab country, you must make a note of this fact, it is very important, they are not Arabs and resent being called this. Your average Iranian regards an Arab as little more than an ignorant savage.

Unlike the rest of the Middle East, they have an independent culture, language and history predating just about anyone else, 1000+BC. Islam is a new religion in Iran, before that, Zorastrianism was their religion, and it is still very popular. It bears striking similarities with Christianity which it predates.  Iran is a very homogeneous country and is not divided along tribal lines like the rest of the Middle East… they see themselves as 'Iranians' so there is no chance of an 'Iraq' insurgency situation breaking out after a regime change.

Until the Islamic revolution in 1979, Iran was one of the most secular and outward looking countries in the region. The Ayatollah was welcomed as a change from the Shah, who was a bit of a bastard. His secret police, SAVAK had a fearsome reputation.

Within a year the novelty of the Islamic Revolution had worn off, but Saadam came to the Mullahs rescue by attacking Iran and giving the Mullahs a breathing space to consolidate power using the war as an excuse.  Today, Islamic fervor is a very thin veneer in Iran. Sure, they lay on 'Rent-a-Mod' demonstrations for the cameras, but a westerner is very safe and will be welcomed by your Iranian in the street.  Iran and Israel are two strange countries in the region, both are very similar, surprisingly so. Iran has it's mullahs, while Israel has it's hard line orthodox jews, both religious fanatics with an input into how the country is run. At the moment, the Mullahs have too much influence, but the people want to change that. Iran has a 'democracy' of sorts, OK it is very fractured and weak, but the concept of a Parliamentary Democracy, unlike in the rest of the Middle East is something they understand and endorse. Many Iranians are fascinated with Israel for this very reason, they see a Democratic model that allows them a free government but keeps religion at the forefront.

Now this is an important thing to note… Because Israel has shown that you can have Democracy and religious orthodoxy in a 'Western' style democracy the Mullahs hate Israel because it is a deadly threat to them politically.

Now how to get things changed in Iran…

Firstly KEEP THE CIA OUT OF THIS!!!!! This is most important! Iran has been mucked about by the ham-fisted actions  of the CIA in the past. The overthrow of Mussadeq in the 1950's is still bitterly resented by Iranians today as is the CIA support for the Shah when it was obvious he was on the way out in the  late 70's instead of supporting the Democrats and reformers.  So no CIA!

Now the Nuclear plants will have to be dealt with now the UN has dropped the ball on this one.  If a military solution is sought it must be restrained. A surgical strike on the reactor building and the nuclear development plant using a few cruise missiles is the limit, ideally as a 'reprisal' to an 'incident' in the Straits of Hormuz. Now, to get this 'incident' you will probably have to lose a warship like a Perry Class Frigate, but politically it must be an attack in retaliation to a serious provocation and seen to be such. Let them have their victory which they will trumpet all over the news, then the US can exact it's revenge, and that way the public will see it as such, a counter strike after losing a warship… not an act of unprovoked agression.

Now onto the revolt……

The days of the Mullahs are numbered and they know it, ever since  Ayatollah Khomeini died in June 1989  they have lost their religious legitimacy and no longer command the respect of the people.

Firstly, Ignore all the exiles and pro Shah ones especially… they are a lost cause and have no legitimacy within Iran. It may stick in the White House's throat but it will probably mean siding covertly with one of the reformist Mullahs who accept the need for democracy and reform. They do exist and they are very vocal and active in Iran. They have the popular vote but they need something to help them dislodge the Old Guards hand from power.  Special forces operators should help ferment a 'revolt' in a provincial city. The last one in 1999 was nearly the end of the Mullahs, the local police would not act against the students and the Mullahs had to resort to bussing in hard liners from the rest of Iran to subdue the student protests. This went down very badly with the public. However it must be a Special Forces affair without the heavy hand of the CIA who are hated within Iran. Let the Iranians free Iran is the best option, just provide money and moral support, they will do the rest.

Iran is ripe for revolt from within, it has a large and very educated young population who are very outward looking  and want change and a truly democratic government, they just need an 'edge' to unseat the Mullahs.

So there you have it, my take… you don't need to directly attack Iran except as a last resort, and if you do, only use the minimum force required. This is one country that is willing to jump over to 'our' side with a little help and a lot of common sense on our part.

Andy
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Here's what I would start with;
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

DING DING DING...
We have a winner!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Major Kong:  Now look boys, I ain't much of a hand at makin' speeches. But I got a pretty fair idea that something doggoned important's going on back there. And I got a fair idea of the kind of personal emotions that some of you fella's may be thinking. Heck, I reckon you wouldn't even be human beings if you didn't have some pretty strong personal feelings about nuclear combat. But I want you to remember one thing, the folks back home is a countin' on ya, and by golly we ain't about to let 'em down. Tell you somethin' else. This thing turns out to be half as important is I figure it just might be, I'd say that you're all in line for some important promotions and personal citations when this thing's over with. That goes for every last one of you, regardless of your race, color, or your creed. Now, let's get this thing on the hump. We got some flying to do.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Iran appears to be ready to implode on it's own. Step up the propaganda on a MASSIVE scale and let it fall from within. Won't need to fire a shot.

We'll just watch it on tv. I'll have my popcorn & beer ready.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Right after 2A373's airplanes pass through, 2 million pissed off GI's show up on the border.  War drums and bagpipes are distributed along the front rank.

The lowlifes in the next POS sandbox will know they done fucked up when they hear pipes and drums!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Drop off Kerry, Kennedy, McCain.  In less than a week they will have the whole country confused into submission.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#45]
3 Neutron Bombs set to Air Burst at 5000 feet for every city over 10,000 population. Followed by conventionally armed tomahawk cruise missle strikes on all power plants, oil refineries. Bridges on major highways.

Neutron Bombs exploding above all military targets.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:23:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Build a Wal Mart supercenter in downtown Tehran; sit back, and watch.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Build a Wal Mart supercenter in downtown Tehran; sit back, and watch.

Actually, that would be the most effective approach.

Another way to do this is to locate the ruling mullahs, target whatever buliding they are in and level the building with your choice of smart bomb. The bombs could be delivered within minutes notice from orbiting F-117s or B-2s as the loiter time from a base in Iraq would be huge. After the mullahs are gone, waltz in to a reception of kisses and flowers.

CW
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#48]
phase one: look at map
phase three: profit!

phase two?  oh, that just involves some old saying about nukes, orbit, and being sure...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:22:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Commence operation bomb the crap out of you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:18:37 AM EDT
[#50]
I would just hand Vladimir Putin the evidence that Iran has been financing/arming the Chechen rebels and then let the good times roll.  It would be interesting to see how the Russians would handle some war on terror.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top