Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 11:09:01 AM EDT
Government Computer News September 21, 2004

Former CIA Director Sees Slow Creep Toward Nationwide Fingerprinting
By Patience Wait

American citizens face the prospect of having to submit fingerprints to the government to make it easier to fight terrorism, former CIA director James Woolsey says.

Taking a high-level overview of the challenges facing the United States in pursuing terrorists globally, Woolsey said biometric technologies will play a key role in striking a balance between security and liberty. Woolsey, a vice president with Booz Allen Hamilton Inc. of McLean, Va., spoke yesterday at the 2004 Biometric Consortium Conference in Arlington, Va.

During the question-and-answer session, Woolsey was asked if citizens will have to be fingerprinted to help screen for potential enemies.

“I would imagine something like that is coming,” he said.

The use of fingerprints for identifying citizens is likely to grow incrementally, rather than through the implementation of a national identification system, said Woolsey.

“They could be used for getting on airplanes, for instance,” he said.

http://gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/27362-1.html
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, like the bad guys are going to get printed.
Not to mention the blatent invasion of privacy, etc.

Christ.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#2]

I can see him eating the corn out of my sheeeet too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#3]
the bad guys already are fingerprinted

most good guys are too.  anyone remember your FBI fingerprint card for your FFL, CHL, police or any job that requires some sort of security clearance?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Spooks like this guy suck. To him, everybody's a perp. Who appointed him CIA director?.......

"Patience Wait" -what the hell kinda nom de mensonge is that?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I have this way to make prosthetic skin covers that look, feel, and act just like natural skin. The difference is that it will retain the texture of a fingerprint from another source, giving you the identity of that source. We've tested it on biometric scanning devices with great success. We can spoof a fingerprint scanner and can leave a false print. You can't even tell you're wearing it and it rubs off with mineral spirits.

Now I just have to dig up some fresh corpses and grab some positive impressions from their hands. Maybe I could find a job as a mortician's assistant in a funeral home....

It will never happen in America without a fight on their hands.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It will never happen in America without a fight on their hands.

Are you being sarcastic?  Many states already require people to get fingerprinted just for a DRIVER'S license.  Where's the outrage?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, right!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#8]
never been fingerprinted.

never gonna be.

(well except if i decide to go NFA i guess)
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Im not paying for it....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

never gonna be.

To get a gun license in MA, one has to get fingerprinted.

I don't even dare throw the wrong trash out on trash pickup day...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Retina eye scans are the only fool proof ways to confirm an identity. Then to alter you have take you own eyes and get a new set like Tom Cruise did in the movie Minority Report.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Chips --------------- that will solve everything -----------  we need them now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Retina eye scans are the only fool proof ways to confirm an identity. Then to alter you have take you own eyes and get a new set like Tom Cruise did in the movie Minority Report.

Not quite. Retinas degrade and change over your lifetime. Not to mention that retinal surgery (even outpatient procedures) can alter the makeup of the retina so that you would have a difficult time recognizing before and after photographs of retinas.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Between CHLs and security jobs, I'm printed and in NCIC six ways to Sunday. One less thing I have to avoid, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Night crew bump
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#16]
That might not be too bad if everyone got a free national ccw along with the fingerprinting.

I said, "might",  I haven't really decided yet.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#17]
They already have mine....five times now, I think.

Edit:  Oh yeah, they have my DNA too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#18]
When I enlisted in '89, I was also fingerprinted-no idea how far back the .mil started this.  Just means if I decide to do anything criminal, it'll be wearing my Mechanix gloves...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#19]
A more interesting and sinister scenario would be fingerprinting, photographing, plus DNA sequencing and storing the information in an set of databases, (and microchipping).

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Sometimes I get a sinking feeling in my stomach and think "maybe the Unabomber and the Amish were right"
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Between the military and my CCW, I've been fingerprinted so many times, it's a wonder they haven't realized how wateful it is to do me AGAIN.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Been fingerprinted for NFa and CCW.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

never gonna be.

To get a gun license in MA, one has to get fingerprinted.

I don't even dare throw the wrong trash out on trash pickup day...

no shit.  move to NH.  our CCW doesn't require prints, photos or anything other than our signature  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top