Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/27/2004 10:32:32 AM EDT
Jack Tatum's collision with Earl Campbell.

As I remember reading, a fellow Raider went up to Tatum in their defensive huddle at the goal line. He told Tatum that if he didn't bring down Campbell that he was a pussy. Here is what happened next, as told by Raider Ted Hendricks aka "The Stork."

"We were playing against Houston and it was on 4th and goal from the one. They are running a sweep towards me and I'm supposed to take out all of the blockers so Jack Tatum can come around free. I take out 4 guys. I grab everybody, two guards, the fullback and the TE. I pull them all down. It's one on one between Earl Campbell and Jack Tatum. I was on the ground and I felt that collision. The shockwave comes through your bones. When you hear that you just pray that nobody got hurt because it sounds like somebody got killed in that thing. To this day, Earl Campbell does not remember scoring. Jack hit him so hard that it turned him around and his momentum landed him in the endzone with the ball laying on top of his chest, but he was unconscious.

Anybody know where to find the video clip of this on the net???
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Earl Campbell -- Smacked into the line with an amazing takeoff for a 240-pounder. Played too tough for his body, and at 29 he was through. On one legendary goal line play against Oakland, he took a kill shot to the head from The Assassin, Jack Tatum, continued into the end zone and collapsed. "The man scored a touchdown while he was unconscious," Raiders strong safety George Atkinson said.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
November 18, 1985

Lawrence Taylor vs. Joe Theisman

Not that impressive to watch.

Tatum's hit on Campbell knocked them both unconscious, broke Campbell's collarbone...but he still scored.

ETA: I'm still googling for the footage.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#6]
chuck cecil, a safety for the cardinals, had some pretty nasty hits. got fined countless times.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
November 18, 1985

the best part of that was the way the broadcasters kept running the footage over and over with closeups.

"Here you can see the bone actually pop out of the skin"

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Lott's the best I ever saw....and he usually came out on top...conscious, that is..
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Earl Campbell -- Smacked into the line with an amazing takeoff for a 240-pounder. Played too tough for his body, and at 29 he was through. On one legendary goal line play against Oakland, he took a kill shot to the head from The Assassin, Jack Tatum, continued into the end zone and collapsed. "The man scored a touchdown while he was unconscious," Raiders strong safety George Atkinson said.

And to this day, Earl Campbell doesn't remember scoring.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#11]
there was a pretty impressive hit on a Utah TE by one of the University of Arizona's linemen a few weeks ago...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Still waiting for video....  

- BG
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#13]
One of the worst I've seen recently was the one put on Eli Manning in Week 1 of this season.  I was surprised he got up after that one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#14]
yeah me too! tagged
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Well the Houston Oilers whole play book read like this:

1st down-Earl left
2nd down-Earl right
3rd down-Earl up the middle
4th down-Punt!

Earl was and is just a good old Country boy that is as nice as anyone you would ever want to meet!

He makes some mean sausage too!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Not #1, But How about when Neon Deion Got KOd VS the Panthers. I think Green hit him.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
chuck cecil, a safety for the cardinals, had some pretty nasty hits. got fined countless times.

That guy was/is an asshole.  He made no secret that he was simply out to hurt people by spearing them.  He always walked around with a busted up nose where his helmet had impacted.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And to this day, Earl Campbell doesn't remember scoring.  

I had a professor in grad school who tutored Earl Campbell while Campbell was a Texas. He says Earl may be the dumbest person he ever met, but he sure could play football.

Derrick Brooks sure knocked the tar out of Rich Gannon last night...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm sure some of you older guys remember Dick "Night Train" Lane, he put some hellacious hits on people.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Years ago, the introductory scenes of Monday Night Football showed some great hits. One of them showed Earl Campbell running over Isaiah (Butch) Robertson, when Robertson played for the Rams (when they were where the heck they belonged-in Los Angeles). Campbell just gathered himself up, lowered his head, and ran over Robertson, knocking him backwards. He never even slowed down, and left shoe prints on the front of Butch's jersey.

In 1980, I was working in a bar in Buffalo, NY, and by then Robertson was playing for the Bills. A lot of them would come into this bar on Monday nights, and would regularly wait for that scene. Most of the Bills couldn't stand the guy, and when Campbell made his hit, they'd all laugh and cheer! Pretty funny to watch.

**PS: My first post as a Team Member!**
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm sure some of you older guys remember Dick "Night Train" Lane, he put some hellacious hits on people.

As Deacon Jones likes to say "there are only 2 people who every time they hit you, they hurt you.  Dick "Night Train" Lane and Dick Butkus.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#23]
The hit Bo put on the Boz on that MNL game was not the most impressive, but it was one of the most embarrassing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
One of the worst I've seen recently was the one put on Eli Manning in Week 1 of this season.  I was surprised he got up after that one.

????

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/images/news/eagles/2004/091204-eli.jpg

clip
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yep he hit dirty and hard.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#26]

The hit Bo put on the Boz on that MNL game was not the most impressive, but it was one of the most embarrassing

Soon to be followed by an embarrassingly short career (for the Boz, that is). Can you spell "hype?"
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I don't think hellacious quite covers his hits......I'm thinking more along the lines of HOLY SH@T!  He just tried to rip his head off!!!!  Night train was absolutely ruthless.  

My nomination is Steve Atwater Denver Broncos on KC Christian "The Nigerian nightmare" Okoye.  Ended that mans career.  He never wanted to go head on after that......
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
November 18, 1985

That sucks Wave.  I got my lower leg busted the same way in 1969 when hit from the side.  Not as bad as Joe's...but it hurt plenty.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Chuck Bednarik's pasting of Frank Gifford...in 1960 I think...gimme a minute to locate the info.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That guy was/is an asshole.  He made no secret that he was simply out to hurt people by spearing them.  He always walked around with a busted up nose where his helmet had impacted.

yeah, you're right. one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I have googled every combination of words for the Tatum/Campbell hit and come up empty. I get text answers, but no pics or video can be found.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:01:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I want a link to the Theisman incident.  I have heard all about it but have never seen the footage.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Maybe not the most impressive hit, but one
of the more historic: Kevin Walker's (CIN) hit
on Bo Jackson that ended Bo's career.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

That wasn't a hit. It wasn't even much of a tackle. He just grabbed Jackson's leg and it dislocated. Not much to see at all.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That wasn't a hit. It wasn't even much of a tackle. He just grabbed Jackson's leg and it dislocated. Not much to see at all.

Really?

Goes to show what my memory is
worth. Didn't that happen on Monday
night (might as well take a shot
at going 0-2)?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Really?

at going 0-2)?

0-2 it is.

Playoff game. Weekend. Saturday, I think. 1990.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
My nomination is Steve Atwater Denver Broncos on KC Christian "The Nigerian nightmare" Okoye.  Ended that mans career.  He never wanted to go head on after that......

I remember that hit!  It was brutal!  What made it so spectacular was that Atwater was a dwarf compared to Okoye, and Atwater was wired for sound during that game.  I played football for many years into high school as a lineman, and I NEVER heard anything like the sound of those two colliding.  It sounded like a car wreck.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Really?

at going 0-2)?

0-2 it is.

Playoff game. Weekend. Saturday, I think. 1990.

Swell.

I guess my plan to kill my brain
with alcohol is coming along nicely.

Thanks for the info, anyhow.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#40]
I will check out NFL Films for footage.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Chuck Bednarik's pasting of Frank Gifford...in 1960 I think...gimme a minute to locate the info.

This is your winner
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I want a link to the Theisman incident.  I have heard all about it but have never seen the footage.

Say what you want but I've been watching football for over 40 years and that is head and shoulders the worst thing I've ever seen in a football game(except for possibly the Daryl Stingley incident).  The slow motion clearly shows the leg breaking like a pretzel.........................and then later that week Letterman had a Joe Theisman pencil sharpener with Joes leg shaped at a 90 degree angle as the handle.....................
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Say what you want but I've been watching football for over 40 years and that is head and shoulders the worst thing I've ever seen in a football game(except for possibly the Daryl Stingley incident).  The slow motion clearly shows the leg breaking like a pretzel.........................and then later that week Letterman had a Joe Theisman pencil sharpener with Joes leg shaped at a 90 degree angle as the handle.....................

I wasn't doubting it's legitimacy, I was wanting a link to the video.

I know there are videos galore out there but I have never seen one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As Deacon Jones likes to say "there are only 2 people who every time they hit you, they hurt you.  Dick "Night Train" Lane and Dick Butkus.  

yo. right on.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#46]
First, the good news: I've found the Jack Tatum hit on Earl Campbell.

The bad news is it's on VHS. I just watched it. Wow. Tatum buried his helmet into Campbell's chest, which knocked Campbell backwards, but as he was falling backwards, he spun around so his momentum still carried him into the endzone...unconscious and with a broken collarbone.

Wowwwww.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Make mine another vote for Bednarik laying out Gifford.

Gifford still acts like a little bitch when people bring it up.   Plus, there's that amazing photo sequence  of Bednarik celebrating over Giffords spawled out body.

Any hit that gets the Giff pissed 40+ years after the fact is good enough to get my vote.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is your winner

You said it.  That hit didn't just make Gifford fumble... it didn't just knock Gifford out cold... it didn't just put Gifford out for the rest of the year... it made him sit out the whole next year too and come back at a different position (flanker instead of halfback).  That was the hit all others must be measured against.

And Bednarik wasn't gloating over knocking Gifford out in that famous photo.  He was celebrating the fact that the Eagles recovered Gifford's fumble.  He didn't know how bad Gifford was hurt until later, like everyone else.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is your winner

You said it.  That hit didn't just make Gifford fumble... it didn't just knock Gifford out cold... it didn't just put Gifford out for the rest of the year... it made him sit out the whole next year too and come back at a different position (flanker instead of halfback).  That was the hit all others must be measured against.

And Bednarik wasn't gloating over knocking Gifford out in that famous photo.  He was celebrating the fact that the Eagles recovered Gifford's fumble.  He didn't know how bad Gifford was hurt until later, like everyone else.

The Atwater hit on Christian Okoye made the man retire completely.  He didn't want to run the ball ever again after that one.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Bingo!  I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers that hit...  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top