Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 9:55:42 AM EDT
Just made some jerkey and its not that good any advise? here is what i did.
1.5 lb skirt steak sliced about .25 inch thick
1/2 c worschestersire sauce (not even going to try to spell it.)
2/3 c soy sauce
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp montreal steak seasoning.
1/8 tsp liquid smoke.
1/2 c merlot
1 tsp onion powder.
2 tsp tony cacherees

mixed it all together and put it in a ziplock for 24 hrs.
dehydrated it at 140 for 8-10 hrs.

it just doesnt taste right, and its too salty. any ideas to make it taste something more like jerkey? it looks like real good jerkey, real dark but the flavor is more like ass.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a lot of sodium in the soy sauce and the Montreal seasoning. Cut back on both of those. When you dehydrate, it concentrates the salt.

IMHO, I have never gotten jerkey out of a dehydrator that was worth a shit. Slow smoke it overnight in a Weber grill or R2D2 water smoker.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Soak it for 3 or 4 hours in pure water.
Put it back i n the dehydrator with some brown sugar on it go for 6-8 hours and try it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Here's mine.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#4]
BROWN SUGAR
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#6]
All I have ever used is Adolph's meat tenderiser and a dash of pepper. If ya' wanna' add all that other stuff, just use cardboard and beef lard in place of the meat, you will never tell the difference.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#7]
www.biltongbox.com

Biltong is African jerky. It's tasty.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Just say this everytime you eat some....

"DAMN this JERKY is SALTY...but that's just the way I like it!"

Soon you will convince yourself you can swallow it. This saying can be used anytime your wife makes something you cannot eat with a straight face. Just substitute JERKY and SALTY but make sure you leave "...but that's just the way I like it!" it is the part that keeps you outta the dog house.

MT"themarriagecounselor"Pockets
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I just made my first batch this weekend.

4 lbs Bottom round roast sliced about 1/8th of an inch (I'll do 1/4" next time)
1.5 cups soy sauce
3 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
generous sprinkle of onion powder
1 good-sized dollop of your favorite hot sauce (I used Scorned Woman)

Marinated overnight, lightly pat dry and put in dehydrator.

I grabbed a piece that was done this morning, and it had a good flavor, but I think I dried it too long, as it's crunchy and not chewy.  Tastes good, though.

If you want it less salty, get lite soy sauce.  Will too little salt cause problems in the jerky-making process?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top