BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 9:04:23 AM EDT

Semi-automatic rifle seized from U-M student
Resident alerted police after about 10 shots were fired
Monday, September 27, 2004
BY AMALIE NASH
News Staff Reporter
Ann Arbor Police say they confiscated a semi-automatic rifle from a University of Michigan graduate student after a nearby resident heard about 10 shots being fired in Argo Park early Saturday.

The 30-year-old man was arrested and released pending charges. Police believe he was trying out his new AR-15 when he fired it nine or 10 times toward the Huron River at about 5:12 a.m. Saturday, Sgt. Pat Hughes said.

A neighbor in the area called to report shots fired, and saw a man walk back to his apartment, reports said. Officers went to the man's house, and he initially denied any involvement, reports said.

As the man led officers into his apartment, they saw a large military-style rifle, later identified as a new AR-15, Hughes said. Police say they are investigating whether the weapon was legally registered.

Officers also discovered a small amount of marijuana being grown in the apartment, reports said. Officers with the Livingston and Washtenaw Narcotics Enforcement Team were called in to investigate that aspect of the case, Hughes said.

Police said the student could be charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm and attempted drug delivery.

Amalie Nash can be reached at [email protected] or (734) 994-6832.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Officers also discovered a small amount of marijuana being grown in the apartment, reports said. Officers with the Livingston and Washtenaw Narcotics Enforcement Team were called in to investigate that aspect of the case, Hughes said.

Brilliant.......ROTFLMAO.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Well some people are just too STUPID to own firearms.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Up all night smoking weed and then wanders outside to blast into the night sky with his new gun.  One of the many reasons I am glad we have police.  This idiot deserves what he gets.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

University of Michigan graduate student

That pretty much explains it all.

Yuppies or hippies.  U of M forces you into one class or the other.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#6]
He's a dumbass.....

...Why the fuck would you discharge a firearm outside of a range so close to a populated area??
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Police say they are investigating whether the weapon was legally registered.

WTF is that?  Why do cops lie about checking to see if a firearm is "legally registered" when their state clearly has NO registration or licensing requirement for that particular type of firearm?

And why to the fucking MSM just parrot the bullshit w/o research?????

No state permit is required to possess a rifle or shotgun.

Michigan gun laws
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Obviously this is the result of the expiration of the AWB.

It's all George W. Bush's fault.

Expect more stories like this.  It's NEWS!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

University of Michigan graduate student

That pretty much explains it all.

Yuppies or hippies.  U of M forces you into one class or the other.

I'm a U of M grad student--I'd have to disagree (although for the most part you are right).  I like my AR's, but I wouldn't shoot one off in Ann Arbor.  Also, allowing the police into your apartment where you're growing pot--why?

As far as "looking into registration" what a bunch of crap.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

BY AMALIE NASH
News Staff Reporter
Ann Arbor Police say they confiscated a semi-automatic rifle from a University of Michigan graduate student after a nearby resident heard about 10 shots being fired in Argo Park early Saturday.

The 30-year-old man was arrested and released pending charges. Police believe he was trying out his new AR-15 when he fired it nine or 10 times toward the Huron River at about 5:12 a.m. Saturday, Sgt. Pat Hughes said.

A neighbor in the area called to report shots fired, and saw a man walk back to his apartment, reports said. Officers went to the man's house, and he initially denied any involvement, reports said.

As the man led officers into his apartment, they saw a large military-style rifle, later identified as a new AR-15, Hughes said. Police say they are investigating whether the weapon was legally registered.

Police said the student could be charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm and attempted drug delivery.

You guys have to  "register" weapons?
WTF?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BY AMALIE NASH
News Staff Reporter

You guys have to  "register" weapons?
WTF?

No, someone does not know what they are talking about.

I actually recall something like this happening not too long ago around here. Seems to be a rather common occurence now days.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a friend look as my CCW and asks "That thing is registered, right?" God I am tired of everyone thinking that guns are registered.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#13]
No registration on long guns.

But you do have to register pistols Via the "Safety inspection"
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#14]
He's an anti-gunner.  Trying to make a point by buying a new AR unlawfully using it and then tying drugs into the whole mix.  He just took one for the anti's team.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top