Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 8:57:01 AM EDT
Would a Mini-30 with a folding stock been illegal under the AWB?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Does it matter now?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#2]
If it was produced after the 1994 ban and you added a folding stock to it, I would imagine yes, it would have been illegal. However, if it had a folding stock prior to the ban, then it would have been legal. But now it doesn't matter either way (the way it should be I might add!). At least I'm pretty sure this is how all of that works. Most people needed a frigging lawyer to help them interpret what was and wasn't legal anyway. LOL.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Does it matter now?

Look at my home state.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#4]
The only federal bans still in existence are the 1986 ban on new NFA and the 1989 ban on nonsporting imported firearms. A semi auto Mini 30 with a barrel length of 16" or greater doesn't fall into these.

Your state may have an AWB similar to the old 1994 ban that you would have to comply with.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Your state may have an AWB similar to the old 1994 ban that you would have to comply with.

Exactly, that's why I'm asking. I was at a high power shoot yesterday with a guy who had one. He said he just put it on last week after waiting until the AWB ran out. I told him it was still illegal in MA, as our ban mirrored the federal one. He said "no way". I said "way".
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Does a Mini-30 with a folder have more than 2 of the following features?  Detachable magazine, pistol grip, flash hider, bayonet lug, flare launcher collapsible/folding stock?

My guess is NO, so it would be OK to stick a folder on a Mini-30.

Mini-30's are semiautomatic rifles with just a detachable magazine IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#7]
If you put a folder on it You will also be putting a pistol grip on, and if their ban mirrors the AWB then that rifle would be illegal.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you put a folder on it You will also be putting a pistol grip on, and if their ban mirrors the AWB then that rifle would be illegal.

The folder he had did not have a pistol grip as we know it. There again was the argument on the definition of pistol grip which was hashed out here on the Kerry shotgun picture thread.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Does a Mini-30 with a folder have more than 2 of the following features?  Detachable magazine, pistol grip, flash hider, bayonet lug, flare launcher collapsible/folding stock?

why would your guess be no, you just said it does in the first paragraph

i.e. pistol grip, detachable mag, Folding stock
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

why would your guess be no, you just said it does in the first paragraph

i.e. pistol grip, detachable mag, Folding stock

If such a folding stock is available, one could add 1 evil feature to the Mini-30 as per the old AWB rules.  Part of my answer was a qualification about how the Mini-30 is already equipped.

If it already has a FH, or bayonet, then you can't add a FS, and if the FS includes a PG, then you can't do it either (under the dead AWB).

What were you confused about?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top