Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 8:34:55 AM EDT
Hope its not a dupe, I search before posting...

www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?s=2350365

OAKLAND, Calif. The Oakland Police Department has halted its use of D-U-I checkpoints after the city's Hispanic leaders complained that the roadblocks were ensnaring too many illegal immigrants.

D-U-I checkpoints allow police officers to demand drivers' licenses and proof of insurance. City leaders agree the roadblocks are an effective way to get drunken drivers off the streets.

But Hispanic community leaders and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente complained that the checkpoints were making life miserable for illegal immigrants who aren't licensed to drive but otherwise obey the law.

Police Chief Richard Word has ordered a month-long moratorium on the checkpoints while the department drafts new guidelines.

But City Councilmember Larry Reid says stopping the D-U-I checkpoints threatens public safety.

(AP Credit: Oakland Tribune)

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#1]

City leaders agree the roadblocks are an effective way to get drunken drivers off the streets.

But Hispanic community leaders and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente complained that the checkpoints were making life miserable for illegal immigrants who aren't licensed to drive but otherwise obey the law.

Poor little dears.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#2]
OK, people in Kali, WTF?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:37:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Good.

DUI checkpoints are way too much like being in the USSR

not happy about the illegal immigrant aspect, but that's another issue
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#4]
This whole thing make me wanna PUKE
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This whole thing make me wanna PUKEhr

WTF How can you be a law abiding Illegal immagrant.

Isn't the whole idea of being an Illegal Immagrant illegal?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#6]
The US Constitution still applies even if you are illegal.  In the country?  Then the Constitution applies.  What is so hard to understand about that?

I was stopped at a driver's license checkpoint yesterday.  Fucking bullshit revenue generators is all they are.  I pay for a license, registration, inspection, taxes, fees, insurance, yadda, yadda, yadda and then they still can't leave me alone, the have to check and make sure I'm still innocent of all crimes.  Worst of all, they were ticketing folks for any meager violation they could uncover.  Fuck them and their roadblocks and I don't care how many crooks don't get caught because of them.  I don't need the "your papers please" treatment when I'm out on a Sunday trying to buy groceries.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top