Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 8:27:00 AM EDT
I did the Atkins a couple of years back and lost a fair amount of weight (25 lbs), gained about 10 of it back when I stopped going Low Carb, and lately have been a Lazy Slug, and eating whatever I felt like.  So, when I bought the Defective Bathroom Scale (must be defective--can't have that much lard on my ass), I figured I better start working towards getting fit (or, find an affordable payment plan on a nice burial and plot).  

I intend to get moving more--aerobic exercise, and hopefully some muscle building exercises (to increase the metabolism).  

I also realize I need to do somekind of dieting--I recall from the Atkins book well enough (since loaned it out/lost it to someone else) how to do the Atkins stuff, but was wondering what the differences with the South Beach Diet is?  Basics on the South Beach?

And, there is NO WAY I'm giving up caffeine on any diet (will try to drink more water, however).

AFARR

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#1]
The south beach diet does not completely eliminate carbs.  What it does is eliminate sugar and processed foods (junk) in the diet.  On the south beach diet you can eat veggies, and later on things like brown rice.  It is not as strict at atkins.  I personally like south beach.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#2]
South Beach:a few more carbs than atkins, but much less fat.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#3]
atkins is slightly more dumb than the south beach diet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#4]
How about Sugarbusters? It basically eliminates the processes foods we eat. There are no "not allowed" food groups. It has a short lists of food you cannot eat...I'd look into it, I tried and did decent on it. I just didn't have the motivation at the time for a full scale diet, so I cheated and fell off the wagon. Look into it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#5]
If you haven't been in tune with Atkins recently it's time to revisit it. One big change from the way it was is that they found that fiber, although a carbohydrate, has a minimal impact on blood sugar levels. So you subtract the grams of fiber out of the total grams of carbs and get what is called "net" carbs, which is all you have to count.
I'm down 54 lbs; nine to go. I drink beer (michelob ultra), eat low carb breads, cereals, veggies, etc.  A lot has changed because of this fiber thing, especially the variety of foods you can eat. I suggest you get the latest Atkins book.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I suggest you get the latest Atkins book.

Do you remember what the title of the latest book is? Last time I went in the bookstore, there was
a shelf-full of different titles. And, of course, the girl at the counter didn't know jack about it......
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I suggest you get the latest Atkins book.

Do you remember what the title of the latest book is? Last time I went in the bookstore, there was
a shelf-full of different titles. And, of course, the girl at the counter didn't know jack about it......

It's called  "Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution", I believe there's an even newer one out now, same title but with "Revised and Updated" added on the cover.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#9]
sigh..

quit eating sugars, quit eating carbs before you go to bed, eat AFTER working out or cardio, watch your portions.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Each smart and eat light.  Exercise and cut out the junk and pop.  Thats all you need.  The only good thing that those diets do is make you lighter for the guys that are putting you in the ground.  So you die thin, so what!  Its not natural to leave things out of your diet.  If God didnt want you to eat bread he wouldnt have made it!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't do fucking exercise. That's gay and it hurts and who wants to put on lame ass spandex or something similiar and sweat next to somebody else in some cramped, busy weight room?

Do martial arts.  That way you learn somethin useful, your "exercise" is actually training and it's fun.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#12]
The creator of the South Beach Diet didn't die a big fat ass from a heart attack caused from his diet.

Atkins... different story.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Atkins does not completely eliminate carbs either.  In fact, the 2 week induction (<20g) is to start the process to figure out how much carbs your body can handle.  Otherwise eliminating the junk carbs - it is basically South Beach.

Oh, it is also recommended to be a permanent diet since you are probably fat because of your previous diet.

Quoted:
The south beach diet does not completely eliminate carbs.  What it does is eliminate sugar and processed foods (junk) in the diet.  On the south beach diet you can eat veggies, and later on things like brown rice.  It is not as strict at atkins.  I personally like south beach.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#14]
both new

both will kill you eventually

just eat what you want in moderate quantities and you will live well
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The creator of the South Beach Diet didn't die a big fat ass from a heart attack caused from his diet.

Dr. Atkins died after slipping and falling on ice. He suffered a brain injury, slipped into a coma and died several months later. He was overweight when he died due to his comatose body retaining water.

I think his diet is stupid, but like to keep the facts straight.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#16]
The South Beach diet requires you to take-in more meat. Against your will and when your'e not expecting it!

HS1
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I've found (after 30 pound weight loss) that exercize is the only determinant of consistent maintainted weight loss.

Sorry. Gotta work hard.

Cardio is good for well-being, but weights burn fat like nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Funny, the Atkins diet didn't eliminate them either.  You just cut the vast majority of them out and then build up to how many carbs you can take in during the day and still lose weight.  Atkins also eliminates simple sugars and all processed carbs.  I was between 60-80 net carbs a day when I stopped my diet back in January.  When I was on Atkins the biggest stalpes of my diet were salad greens, brocolli, cauliflower, and cheese.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I took off 50 lbs with Atkins in 3 months, the weight loss is a lot quicker if you add exercise to the regime.  Its a big lifestyle change for most people as they were brought up to consume carbs in mass quantities.

I stay away from sugar laden foods and drinks, luckily there are lots of low-carb foods/desserts around now that make it easier to cope with a sweet tooth.  Maintaining my weight is easy now.

Note to all, if you get low carb Ice cream, do NOT get the 0 carb ones, they taste bland as shit.  The 3 and 4 carb versions taste just as good as regular ice cream.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Atkins died from trauma to the head that happened because of a fall.  The coroner's report that was leaked also indicated that his body was bloated because his organs were shutting down while he was in the coma.  That's what happens.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
both new

Atkins has been around since the 1970's.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
both new

I agree. Humans are omnivores.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#24]
If you haven't read the book for either, then you are completely ignorant as to what they're about.

Hint: I ate more vegetables and no fast food on the Atkins diet than I have at any other time in my life.  It wasn't just meat, eggs, chease, bacon, etc., but anyone who has actually read the book and understands the concepts of the diets knows this.  There are too many people out there who think it's just about eating meat, and that just exposes how little they know about it.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Research has shown that fat storage is based on the glycaemic functions of your body.  Both atkins and SB promote a diet based on the glycaemic index.  One diet cuts more carbs that the other.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If you haven't read the book for either, then you are completely ignorant as to what they're about.

Hint: I ate more vegetables and no fast food on the Atkins diet than I have at any other time in my life.  It wasn't just meat, eggs, chease, bacon, etc., but anyone who has actually read the book and understands the concepts of the diets knows this.  There are too many people out there who think it's just about eating meat, and that just exposes how little they know about it.

What GBT said.  Human beings were never designed to eat the type and quantity of carbohydrates that make up the bulk of the typical American diet.  The USDA Food pyramid and guidelines are nonsense.  They were never based on any factual nutritional research.  They are the result of the lobbying efforts of the various agro business industries.  

I think this is Atkins latest book:

Atkins for Life: The Complete Controlled Carb Program for Permanent Weight Loss and Good Health

Another book to read is: The Protein Power Lifeplan by Michael R. Eades, Mary Dan Eades

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top