Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 8:04:28 AM EDT
Mrs B is coming too.

What should I prepare for?

What (other than a high credit limit) should I leave home with?

What should I look for?

What should I come home with (other than "One of each, please.")?

ETA: I don't hunt (yet).

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Tell them to send me my damned catalog!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Prepare for a lot of people, most of whom ae just staring at the ceiling, the rest of which have five screaming kids with them.  Be ready to spend a couple hours in there, I was in there for almost three hours and still didn't see everything, and yes, be reasy to spend $$$, I had to restrain myself the last time I was there.  There's usually alot of good specials floating around, it's just a matter of finding them...Don't forget to check in the bargain basement place, you might catch a good deal in there, but most of the stuff in there is pretty beat up....hope this helps

CT
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:18:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Be sure to visit the gun library. REALLY nice firearms there.

Go on a weekday and you can avoid the stifling crowds of the weekend.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Paebr is right!, do not go on weekends.
if your close to the Harrisburg area, Bass Pro shop will be opening in mid November also
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Very interesting shopping experience.  Lots to see, especially the freshwater aquarium & the arctic wildlife mounts.  Enormous crowds, in many sections of the store SRO.  Looooong lines to the registers, and you'll get the line with the guy with the long shopping list plus problems that take forever to sort out.  Good restaurant, but looooong lines to get through it.  Cabela's in Hamburg can be an EXTREMELY frustrating experience if you're actually trying to buy something.
I prefer to just buy from them through the mail, but if you go, early on weekends (around 8:45am they'll open the doors if folks are already standing around outside waiting) or weekdays are best.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#6]
take some water cause there's alot to see and lots of walkin around. On the week days it isn't so bad. Go see the aquarium they have some nice fish.

Take lots of $$$
oh yeah if you make a day of it try there buffet they have some ggod food though it isn't cheap.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#7]
First of all, shop like you shop anywhere else. You're a Man right? Well all the men I know shop the same way. They know what they want, they get in, they get out. Only Cabelas is different. It's mesmerizing. The great thing about it is that you can put hands on stuff you've only seen in the cataloge.
Before you know it, you've maxed out the credit cards and need to rent a U-haul to get the stuff home. Use some restraint. Cabelas isn't the place to buy campers, boats, guns or furniture. Avoid impulse buying. Keep the wife away from the furnishings and home decorations. Have lunch in the cafe. Have some fun in the shooting gallery. Bring a camera. See the aquarium, the mounts, the trout stream. The gun library is awsome but over priced. Make plans to go again.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What should I prepare for?

MASSIVE CROWDS.  Think "Disney Land"

What (other than a high credit limit) should I leave home with?

LOADS of Patience.

Cargo capacity?

What should I look for?

Isles you can walk down.  Spots you can slip into to get up to a counter.

What should I come home with (other than "One of each, please.")?

Not much.  Too frickin busy to even look at much, you can't get any help.

I've been there twice, and walked out both times without items I would have purchased if I could have gotten down a row, up to a counter, or been able to walk through the store and carry the item.

Too damned Disneyland for me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#9]
The gun library is overpriced, you can get a better deal from the CDNN catalog.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Does Cabelas sell EBRs in their stores?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been there a few times since they've opened, when I was up that way, and all but the last time was an extremely frustrating experience due to the crowds.    Then again, I hate crowds, and am not a window shopper... even at a place like that.    And IMHO, the prices are higher than you can get online elsewhere, so unless you are a "browser", there may not be much reason to go.    The last time, maybe a month ago, wasn't that bad.   However, with deer season coming up, may be getting a bit more crowded again.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Go during the week. I even went on a Friday night and was in and out, at least through the checkout line.

Check the aquarium, gun library, etc. Last time I was there they had a couple black rifles (three AR's, an AK, and a HK91 clone), and wolf 7.62mmx39 was on sale. I bought some.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Does Cabelas sell EBRs in their stores?

Yes, Last time I was there they had a Barrett model 82A1 (semiauto magazine fed .50 BMG) which is the Ultimate EBR. And a bunch of ARs.

For your first visit plan on spending a few hours there looking around, lots to see. Some good clothing deals on sale items. Last time I was there I spent a bunch of $ on clothing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been there a number of times most of their stuff is overpriced...you can go into hamburgh to the local gunstore and get the stuff cheaper.    Any of you guys check out the mill surpluss store in hamburgh  it is on the main drag lots of great deals   euro 7.62 cans for $4 each  7 pocket bando for .223 for $1

you leave and go straight across 61 head toward the cracker barrell  when the road ends make a left it is a block up on the left hand side.   closed one day during the week.. I can not remember what one I do not know if he is open on sat.   The place is a 1 car garage easy to miss if you ge to the trafic light you went to far
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#18]
BPSs and Calbela's stores are always crowded.

There is a Cabela's knockoff in Nemacolin Woodlands, PA that I have been too.

Expensive and lousy.

No EBRs either, just CCW handguns and "hunting" rifles.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#20]
If you decide to check out the military surplus place (Surplus Plus - open on Sat, btw) skip the Cracker Barrel and grab something to eat at the Westy about a block away on the opposite side of the street.  Great food and prices, cold beer and attractive bar help....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If you decide to check out the military surplus place (Surplus Plus - open on Sat, btw) skip the Cracker Barrel and grab something to eat at the Westy about a block away on the opposite side of the street.  Great food and prices, cold beer and attractive bar help....

I never stopped by on a Sat I am only in town when I can be on works Dime  M to F
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Being a Cabelas employee, the best time to go is on Monday morning. It was a ghost town this morning.
The restaurant has some decent eats, not cheap but not expensive either.
Aquarium and mounted displays are standard in all retail locations.
Some good bargains in the Bargain Cave, mostly discontinued items, returns, blems. The signs may says all sales final but Cabelas has a very liberal return policy, If you don't like it return it. Please don't abuse this, some people are real friggen parasites and return a pair of fuggin boots after they wore it for 6 months.
We get customers from all over the country at our store and they will spend hors there, so bring lots of cash and credit cards, thank you
EBR, Bushmaster AR and M1's. I'm getting my .308 Bushy from there only cause I get the employee discount
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Tell them to send me my damned catalog!

They sent me a hard bound catalog last week.  It must have cost some bucks to print.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top