Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 7:00:46 AM EDT
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3693354.stm:

Carter fears Florida vote trouble

Last Updated: Monday, 27 September, 2004, 11:21 GMT 12:21 UK

Voting arrangements in Florida do not meet "basic international requirements" and could undermine the US election, former US President Jimmy Carter says.  

He said a repeat of the irregularities of the much-disputed 2000 election - which gave President George W Bush the narrowest of wins - "seems likely".

Mr Carter, a veteran observer of polls worldwide, also accused Florida's top election official of "bias".

His remarks come ahead of the first TV debate between Mr Bush and John Kerry.

They are expected to discuss the war on Iraq and homeland security during the programme on Thursday.

Recent opinion polls give Mr Bush a lead over Mr Kerry of between 3% and 9%.

In an article in the Washington Post newspaper, Mr Carter, a Democrat, wrote that reforms - agreed after the last vote in Florida had been marred by counting problems - had not yet been implemented.

He accused Florida Secretary of State Glenda Hood, a Republican, of trying to get the name of independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader included on the state ballot, knowing he might divert Democrat votes.

"A fumbling attempt has been made recently to disqualify 22,000 African Americans (likely Democrats), but only 61 Hispanics (likely Republicans), as alleged felons."

Mr Carter said Florida Governor Jeb Bush - brother of the president - had "taken no steps to correct these departures from principles of fair and equal treatment or to prevent them in the future".

"It is unconscionable to perpetuate fraudulent or biased electoral practices in any nation," he added.

"With reforms unlikely at this late stage of the election, perhaps the only recourse will be to focus maximum public scrutiny on the suspicious process in Florida."
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:07:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Jimmy Carter is a PUSSY...

I said that over at DU once and was banned instantly.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Jimmy Carter couldn't incite a fist fight, let alone a riot.  If you look up lame in the dictionary, you'll see his picture.  The people of Florida have a lot more to worry about right now than him and his mouth.  

Alleged felons?  They either are or they are not.  If Florida really is trying to disqualify felons to vote, black or white, more power to Florida.  

It's too bad Illinois isn't trying to do the same thing.  Their problem is that most of the crooks there are running the government.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:22:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Carter is an inept politician. He should go back to holding the nail bucket at "Habitat for Humanity" house projects.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#5]
More entertainment following W's re-election
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Carter is an inept politician. He should go back to holding the nail bucket at "Habitat for Humanity" house projects.

+1 The dude sucked in the 70s and hasn't gotten any better since.

I am also SICK of hearing about "international requirements" or any crap like that. Sovereign nations don't need international approval/confirmation for internal affairs.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:42:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Sigh. This is why they shouldn't have named that attack submarine after him. He's still mobile enough to make an ass out of himself.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I work for a company that does election software for the Supervisor of Elections of Florida counties and I can tell you that hardware-wise Florida is ahead of just about every state in voting equipment.  All counties are now using electronic (or optical scan) voting machines (the cards with the 'hanging chads' are history).   The Primary election in August went without a hitch, except for Hillsborough county, and that was the vendors' problem with MS SQL Server - and that has been fixed.
Washington, Utah, Colorado, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and a few other states still use punch cards in some counties, mixed with either electronic or optical scan.
No, the only problems we will have here are the likes of Michael Moore or Jimmy Carter saying we will have problems and more than likely cause them instead of just leaving things alone.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Jimmy Carter is probably the worst President of the 20th Century. If he would have been reelected in 1980, the USSR would have prevailed in the Cold War and the USA would be like Argentina with nuclear weapons.

As far as his so-called "Christanity", a person cannot be pro-Communist and a Christian. End of story.

A true piece of shit. Fuck Jimmy Carter.

I duped this from the other Jimmy Carter thread in case one gets locked.  I hate Jimmy Carter.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Jimmy Carter was the best president ever....................................................at growing peanuts
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I work for a company that does election software for the Supervisor of Elections of Florida counties and I can tell you that hardware-wise Florida is ahead of just about every state in voting equipment.  All counties are now using electronic (or optical scan) voting machines (the cards with the 'hanging chads' are history).   The Primary election in August went without a hitch, except for Hillsborough county, and that was the vendors' problem with MS SQL Server - and that has been fixed.
Washington, Utah, Colorado, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and a few other states still use punch cards in some counties, mixed with either electronic or optical scan.
No, the only problems we will have here are the likes of Michael Moore or Jimmy Carter saying we will have problems and more than likely cause them instead of just leaving things alone.

Yeah, but the truth doesn't matter.  Carter and his ilk basically are saying they are setting up to stage another "incident" or series of them to throw the Florida vote into chaos.  Remember the last time?  A bunch of Panzie Nussbaums in Palm Beach County started the hollering, and it was taken up almost everywhere.  Funny how a system which had been in use for 35+ years allof a sudden was a mystery.  And, how well it was all coordinated and staged.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:36:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I doubt there will be riots.  The black folks around here are just not that jazzed by Kerry and they also don't seem to hate Bush the way the nutty rich white leftists do.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3693354.stm:

Carter fears Florida vote trouble

Last Updated: Monday, 27 September, 2004, 11:21 GMT 12:21 UK

Voting arrangements in Florida do not meet "basic international requirements" and could undermine the US election, former US President Jimmy Carter says.  

basic international requirements?  Who gives a shit about international requirements?  This is America not the international community.  Those effing democrats want to sell this country down the river and it's pissing me off
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Perhaps this time it will be interactive! My .458 SOCOM upper should be arriving sometime in October!

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Will not matter, Pres. Bush will win in a landslide.  Us little people understand what is at stake.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
...The Primary election in August went without a hitch, except for Hillsborough county, and that was the vendors' problem with MS SQL Server - and that has been fixed.

Election results are running on Microsoft products…

We are doomed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Remember when past presidents used to just write their memoirs and stay out of the political scene.

Those were the days.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Weapons?  check
food?   check
med supplies?   Check
water?   check

Ammo? check. And plenty of it.

I'm all set. Bring it the fuck on.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#20]
+1 as Carter being the worst president ever
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Why is anybody listening to him?  Carter is good at helping poor people but didn't have the balls to be president.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Gee, too bad he wasn't there to help the United States Active Duty Military get their ballots included while Gore's laywers and the DNC were doing everything possible to block them from being counted. Don't hear much about that though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Carter has his weaknesses, but I commend him for staying so involved in public service through habitat for humanity and other causes, instead of making millions on a book like Clinton did...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Gee, too bad he wasn't there to help the United States Active Duty Military get their ballots included while Gore's laywers and the DNC were doing everything possible to block them from being counted. Don't hear much about that though.

No shit.... Good point!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Not sure what's wrong with Carter.  I really don't think he's got the charisma to make a difference anymore.  Florida's got some bigger problems to handle than to salve Jimma's "fear".  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I really, really hate to do this, but . . .

+1!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#27]
This guy is such a fucking idiot, I just wish he would go away.  Everytime he opens his mouth it makes me sick.  He is an embarrasment to the great state of GA.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Carter has his weaknesses, but I commend him for staying so involved in public service through habitat for humanity and other causes, instead of making millions on a book like Clinton did...

I dare not respond to the above, I would get the thread locked.   Let me just say that it is a feel good thing for the most part.  I have been involved in Habitat.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Carter is Christian and the DUers like him???

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Guess my point of view differs quite a bit from the herd.  Don't know really what history will reflect on Carter's preisidency.  I do think he was not a great politician, which in my book is a plus.  That hindered his effectiveness for sure but in my life time he is the only president we've had that I would consider of honorable character.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Carter botched our first run-in with Islamic extremists, just about killed the economy, and now he hangs around with the likes of Kofi Anan and Desmond Tutu.

Give peace a chance, yea right, what a fucking loser.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I always thought Carter was just a simpleton and fool, and did not realize how meanspirited he is and how much he loathes America.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#34]
No one who lived through Carter's presidency can think of him as anything other than a bumpkin.

Gas lines, everyday, taking hours to get a tankful.

Mortgage interest rates in the high teens.  I remember thinking that the days of single-digit interest rates were gone forever.

Foeign-policy debacles.  Of which the Iran embassy was the great example.

Trashing of the military.

Soviet expansion activity on every hand, completely unchecked.

America was DEAD.  Evryone was depressed and convinced America was heading for third-world status.

C_M
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top