Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 6:19:34 AM EDT
I'm kind of considering trading in my '01 on an '05, but if I do it it'll be to get the 4 full doors.  From what I'm finding online it looks like you have to get the XLT in order to get the supercrew (which sucks) and the prices are looking to start around $30k.  I'm wondering how you like it now that you've driven it for awhile?  Is the bed big enough and 5.5'?  Is the rear seat roomy enough to tote adults comfortably?  If it's not then it's of no use to me.  Any other complaints in general?

As an aside I'm also toying with the idea of trading "down" (size wise) to a Tacoma with the 4-doors.  I've discovered in the last 3 years that South Florida is not fullsize truck friendly and having a smaller truck might make the day-to-day simpler.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:23:56 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife has one, she put a tonno on the bed. Not much room to haul stuff.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:26:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I picked up an 01 Screw a few months ago for $20k. 4WD, XLT, 6 disk CD changer, tonneu cover etc. My coworkers who are both over 6' fit comfortably in the back seat. IF you want speed or haul something heavy with regularity get the 5.4, otherwise the new 4.6's do quite well in them. FWIW
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:10:35 AM EDT
[#3]
That is certainly an option, going with the older model.  It's rare to find one in this area though that's not a high mileage vehicle, just because everyone here drives everywhere, and everything is so far apart.  My '01 has about 35k miles and that's considered low.  The only reason is because I lived 5 miles from work for over a year.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Can't speak for the F150, But I own an '03 Taco, extended cab, TRD, 4x4, v6, etc. It's a great truck.

The reason I got the ext over the crew was because the crew only came in auto...and the automatic is a slug compared to the 5-speed. Also, you could technically get two adults in the back of the crew, but not real comfortable. Didn't see the point in spending the extra $$$ on a smaller bed and limited use backseat when it's just me and the wife.

But, the '05 Taco will be a mid-size. More ponies under the hood [250 IIRC] and a bigger cab. You might want to wait and give it a look.

Most of the guys I know with the new F150's are pretty happy, FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#5]
The new Taco should be quite nice. Much larger than the current one, mid size as someone else said. I'd take a look at that. It will also, IIRC, have a 6 spd available.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm selling mine. It's an 01, with K&N intake, dual exhaust and a Jet chip. It's runs like a cross between a Vet and a pickup. Too bad your so far away, I'd give you an ARFCOM discount. By the way, it has 67,000 miles and I'm asking 17K.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Plenty of rear legroom, more than just about any car.

I don't like the short bed.

Gas mileage sucks (5.4l).  About 11 mpg.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Plenty of rear legroom, more than just about any car.

I don't like the short bed.

Gas mileage sucks.  About 11 mpg.

I get 15mpg in the city unless I really romp it, 17 on the road @ 70mph.

BTW mine had 56k on the clock when I bought it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#9]
We have one and it hauls things just fine for what we need.  Adults do fit comfortably in the back seat without any problems.  It's a nice truck if ya ask me.  Unfortunately, right now it's got a bit of a boo-boo from a wreck saturday before last.  

Btw..our is an 02 supercrew.  Not quite new but I never lost the "newness" as mileage is still extermely low.

A friend of mine has an '04 and he also got every extra button known to man....but all in all it's pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm in the same boat as you, except I don't own a pickup anymore.  After looking for several months, I've narrowed my choices down to an F150 supercrew lariat 4x4, or the new Tacoma 4x4 crew cab.  The F150 lariat is far more luxurious than the other full size trucks (and most cars), but the smaller size, build quality, speed, fuel economy, and $9000 cheaper price of the Tacoma are appealing.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a 2001 Supercrew, has about 118k miles now.  The rear seats have more than enough room for full size adults.  Unless you need to haul a boat or long lumber, the 5.5 foot bed is big enough, in fact perfect for hauling all the junk for a family vacation - I have a hard cover on mine.

Mine has had two expensive problems - a year ago I had to replace the right rear axle and shortly after the warranty expired I had to replace the air duct door actuator (it's cheap crap and the dash has to come out to make the switch.  The axle ticks me off because I have never towed anything with the truck.

My average fuel mileage with the 4.6l engine is 15.5 ot 15.8 mpg; this includes mostly interstate travel with speed changes in traffic.  I have gotten as high as 16.8 mpg in August traveling across eastern Colorado.

It's not as good as my '93 Ranger, but there are likely not many that are.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Wolfpack has one, but it seems he is driving a rental car far more often....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm currently in the '01 extended cab with the 5.4 liter.  I average around 10 mpg depending on highway vs. surface streets.  I don't want to get any worse, and obviously better would be nice.  I think the Tacoma would be better, but I don't know how much so with the V6.  Either way it won't be a 4x4 as my truck spends most of it's time onroad other than the jobsites.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My wife has one, she put a tonno on the bed. Not much room to haul stuff.

WTF are you doing with it?

I have a Dakota Quad Cab (which has a smaller bed) and have NEVER found it lacking for either vacations, house DIY jobs, or my outdoor sports.

If you want a work truck, buy a work truck.  If you want a personal truck, buy a 1/2 ton or smaller crew cab.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#15]

As an aside I'm also toying with the idea of trading "down" (size wise) to a Tacoma with the 4-doors.  I've discovered in the last 3 years that South Florida is not fullsize truck friendly and having a smaller truck might make the day-to-day simpler.

Don't go so far down in size with a Tacoma.  Do what I did and get a mid-size crew cab: Dodge Dakota Quad Cab.  Get it with the 4.7 liter and you will more than enough power and better mileage than a full size.

Mine's a 4WD and gets about 18 to 19 mpg on the highway.  About 14 in town.  It's not as great as you would think it should be, but that's for several reasons.  First, the Dakota is 3/4 the size and weight of a 1/2 ton full size.  Second, it's the same V8 used in the Ram.  Third, 4WD is heavier than 2WD and sits higher, creating more drag.  Fourth, there's more drivetrain parasitic loss with 4WD.

Still, with all that, I love mine.  I have put in 70,000 trouble free miles (two minor problems) in four years, the interior trim is as tight as the day it was new, and the truck is still going strong.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I just don't like the Dakota, dislike the looks & I'm not a Dodge fan.

In regards to the bed, I haul lumber.  with the bed up in a 6.5' bed I can tote a sheet very stable.  I'm concerned that with a 5.5' I'll have too much of the sheet hanging off the back and it will be unstable.  Also alot of building materials come in 10' lengths (gutter, conduit, some lumber, some drywall, etc.) and that is obviously too long.  I'm afraid that it'll be too long even with the tailgate down.

Anybody know how long a 5.5' bed is from the back of the cab to the tip of a lowered tailgate?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#17]
7', ish.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Anyone driving a new F150 Supercrew?  

Nope, I'm straight.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Nope, I'm straight.

ummmmm?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, I'm straight.

ummmmm?

Just joshin'

The new F150s are pretty cool looking. Boxy from the back, but cool. I really dig the "Supercrew/Quad Cab/Crew Cab" look.

ETA: the "Straight" comment actually is an extension of the idea that many lesbians dig Ford Rangers. At least here in SE MI.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Boxy from the back, but cool.

That is one angle I can't stand on the truck. Fortunately I'd rarely see it if I owned one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#22]
norman74,

I don't own a supercrew, but I do have an extended cab and love it.  This is by far the best truck that I have owned, 50,000 trouble free miles.  The 5.4 does drink a little more, but it gets better milage then the POS tundra I got rid of last year.  I have the six foot box and it works fine for trips to the lumber yard, farm, etc.  I think that hauling 10' material might be pushing it for a 5.5' box.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Gotta 01 Crew cab w/ 85K on it. Bought it new in 00. Good truck. I did have one problem at around 35K and that was one burned-out coil. Cost about $260. at the Ford dealer. Other than that I've only done a couple oil changes and one air filter( switched to Mobil 1 at 3K ).I can fit the kid's 250 dirt bike, generator, tools,tents, chairs, cooler, fan, torpedo heater, bar b que in the back and close the gate,and haul the kid and his friends in comfort
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top