Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 3:49:58 AM EDT
well after about a year of working for me ,we couldn't get her to open more than 24-30 hrs a week. She felt that that was all 400 a week was worth . So we had to let here go, now i need to find some one that has experiance in fireplaces and gas logs.. a hard thing in Florida .  Any tips on finding new and reliable pepole? i suck at being a employer (to nice) they always walk all over me. i hired her with the understanding she was to run the operation (needed a bitch ) but  no one could get along with her because she wanted to be the  only one (sales personel) so now im looking for a sales clerk (hourly + commison) and a secratary .the papers in st pete want $800 to run a help wanted ad    WTF! any ideas ??
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:51:33 AM EDT
[#1]
$800 for an ad is crazy, are you trying to take out a half page?

Try online, Monster.com or something. Wait, the monster guy is an anti gun fucktard, nevermind.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:53:19 AM EDT
[#2]
the most important thing is they have to be gun freindly (grin) oh and that waas for 3 lines
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:58:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:58:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Try to find a retrired person from up north.  You cannot beat an older persons workethic and it gives them something to do other than think about how old they are getting.  I am pretty sure that you could put an add in a few of the retirement rags around there.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:00:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A monster ad will run upwards of $2k.  $800 for a help wanted ad is not all that expensive.  Perhaps try some of the smaller community publications.  A headhunter will cost alot more if you really need someone from a direct competitor.  The alternative is to find someone with retail management or sales experience and teach them about your products.

Damn, when my dad told me everything costs more when a business buys it, he wasn't shitting me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:00:54 AM EDT
[#6]
i hired a 67 year old form aarp to stand in but need some one younger to help unload trucks ect
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:01:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i hired a 67 year old form aarp to stand in but need some one younger to help unload trucks ect

I thought you needed a manager to sell things?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:04:37 AM EDT
[#8]
i do.. but the trucks come in and with no personel at this time some one has to help get it in form the semi thats why i need a couple of  persons in there thirtys not 60-70s
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:18:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't look for experience.  My best hires were always about personality and honesty in the interview (I ask teh most embarrassing moment question just to see how they react).

You can teach them about the product, but you can't teach the traits you're really wishing your employees had.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:22:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Change the compensation plan to a shorter base salary, but include some profit sharing to create incentive to stay open and sell sell sell.

Give them a little ownership in what happens with their paycheck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:25:10 AM EDT
[#11]
try a temp agency you may find a few good people that have been laid off.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:27:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Give them a percentage based bonus based on prior gross sales.  Money motivates people.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:27:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Write a detailed job description.

Write up a "Job Contract" which outlines your expectations for performance.

Use a personality test to make sure you have a good fit. Check references. Past performance does indicate future performance in a job.

Follow up, and follow the job contract to the letter. If there is any backsliding, then jump on the issue immediately, otherwise the contract will lose its meaning.

Written goals and expectations are a must. Think... how can you measure your employee's performance if you do not have any standards in place?

Remember - as the owner/Boss, you are the leader, and you can not assume that an employee will treat your business the same as you. You need to know what your expectations are first, then hire to fill the position.

Accountability starts at the top.

Edited to add: A great place to find good people is WORD OF MOUTH. But the key is - how do I tap into this ? Well - ASK PEOPLE! Its amazing, that if you know what you want ( follow the steps above) you can talk to people and see if they know anyone that might fit the bill.

Ask customers, vendors, neighbors. You might just get a great referral. If you can dream up a situation, it is likely that there is a person out there to that wants to fit into it. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted: now i need to find some one that has experiance in fireplaces and gas logs.. a hard thing in Florida .

Isn't that like trying to sell ice to Eskimos?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#15]
If I lived in FL I would take that job in a minute!

I am great at being the hardass!  I'd fire my own mother if it helped me make bonus.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:11:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Full time or part time?  $400 pretax or post?  If pretax, it probably was all it was worth.

Its your business, you need to be the hardass in charge.  $400 pretax isnt going to get you much of a store manager/salesperson/dockhand/jackofalltrades, as you have discovered.

Hire a high school/college student (or two) part time to unload trucks.  Pay your office manager more, or offer a profit sharing bonus arrangement to motivate them.  Money talks.

Try your local papers, county unemployment office, word of mouth, mention it to some employees at Home Depot or Lowes().  As mentioned earlier, be willing to hire a snowbird.

How long does the ad run for?  $800 might not that bad.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
$400 a week that's only $10/hr and you want sales experience managerial experience, and need to do pysical work unloading trucks also.  Unless you got a hell of a benifit package, which I doubt you won't find quality help, I think you just let your quality help go.

Don't know why she would not want to work for you, as you had so much respect for her calling her bitch and hard to work for.

Perhaps you or your wife should quit your day jobs and run this business together I am sure your wife would have no problem working for you.

Agreed - you don't get much for $10/hr ($19,200/yr).  Perhaps offer $10/hr base plus commission in the future?  You might get someone more motivated if they have a chance to bump their own income up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I make more than that, and I work at walmart!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Change the compensation plan to a shorter base salary, but include some profit sharing to create incentive to stay open and sell sell sell.

Give them a little ownership in what happens with their paycheck.

thats exactly what i did i told her 10 hour + 5 % of her sales as a commison + a percentage of the other pepoles sales???
and she wanted basicly 800 a week  24 hrs and 10% and she was only selling about a grand
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
$400 a week that's only $10/hr and you want sales experience managerial experience, and need to do pysical work unloading trucks also.  Unless you got a hell of a benifit package, which I doubt you won't find quality help, I think you just let your quality help go.

Don't know why she would not want to work for you, as you had so much respect for her calling her bitch and hard to work for.

Perhaps you or your wife should quit your day jobs and run this business together I am sure your wife would have no problem working for you.

well no her job discription was bitch she couldnt pull it off  she was spoused to have management exp (she didnt) she drove off every bit of personel we had  my wife tried by hiring a secretary the 2 girls got petty and nothing got done it was the otheres responsabilty . 10 hr + 5% down here is about as good as it gets for a start up position if you sell no sales in 3 weeks???  i have sold 4 grand in 2 days WTF  she had paid help for the semi  duties  she just did not want to have any other sales pepole in the store  and sorry my wife works to hard doing oher things
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Try calling a large company in your area that has recently had a layoff.  Ask if they have an Outplacement Department.  If not, ask for Human Resources.  Ask the person who answers if they have anyone, recently laid-off, who might be interested in the position.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Try calling a large company in your area that has recently had a layoff.  Ask if they have an Outplacement Department.  If not, ask for Human Resources.  Ask the person who answers if they have anyone, recently laid-off, who might be interested in the position.

That is a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#24]
So let me get this straight.

Your manager was opening the store 4 days a week, unloading trucks, and selling gas logs in Florida, for $400 a week and you fired her!

You're an idiot!

ETA - Anyone with any level of Business Management experience or sales experience is going laugh you to derision if you offer them $10/hour!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
So let me get this straight.

Your manager was opening the store 4 days a week, unloading trucks, and selling gas logs in Florida, for $400 a week and you fired her!

You're an idiot!

ETA - Anyone with any level of Business Management experience or sales experience is going laugh you to derision if you offer them $10/hour!

Exactly!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Hell, our 3rd string Burger King managers make more than that! They aren't even given any real responsibilities.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm a stay-at-home dad raising three kids, and running a part-time business. I sometimes would like to go back in the job market, and get a full-time job, but when I read threads like this, I'd sooner stay home and mind the house and kids than put up with lots of bullshit for peon wages.

10 bucks an hour for a management job? Fuhgeddaboudit. You'll only get the dregs of society applying. You get what you pay for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top