Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 8:16:49 PM EDT
I understand this would be a STUPID thing to do, but that thread about strip clubs made me wonder.. Is it illegal to be legally carrying concealed (you have jumped throught eh legal hoops) if you are drunk under your states BAC?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
absolutely not. the BAC limit here for carrying is less than driving.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Im pretty sure they could nail you on  endangerment or something.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#3]
You will get busted for carrying if you've been drinking in Texas.  

Big time no-no

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Hold my beer and watch this...
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Ditto in CT. Big no-no. Zero tolerance, which is perfectly acceptable.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#6]
As usual, Florida leads the way:

790.151  Using firearm while under the influence of alcoholic beverages, chemical substances, or controlled substances; penalties.--

(1)  As used in ss. 790.151-790.157, to "use a firearm" means to discharge a firearm or to have a firearm readily accessible for immediate discharge.

(2)  For the purposes of this section, "readily accessible for immediate discharge" means loaded and in a person's hand.

(3)  It is unlawful and punishable as provided in subsection (4) for any person who is under the influence of alcoholic beverages, any chemical substance set forth in s. 877.111, or any substance controlled under chapter 893, when affected to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired, to use a firearm in this state.

(4)  Any person who violates subsection (3) commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(5)  This section does not apply to persons exercising lawful self-defense or defense of one's property.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#7]
depends on the state.  Some states absolutly prohibit carrying in a place that serves, (most states) others laws dont adress it at all (Indiana), others state that CCW with anything in the system is illegal(NC)

The bottom line is that CCW means Consealed.  What I have done the world over is do "Site Surveys" and not drink, or only drink one or two drinks in places that do pat downs.  Get to know the folks and before long you are not checked.  What you do after that is up to you.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I cant carry at a bar here, I just get trashed at home.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Good to know, I'm not a drinker myself (I'm 20 but that doesn't mean its not availble) though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#10]
i sure hope it is illegal to carry while being drunk.

alcohol and firearms do not mix, nor should they ever.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know about NV, but it's explicitly stated in TN's carry laws that ". . . it is an offense for a person to possess a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance.

A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor."

E-95
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#12]
My Iowa permit has no restrictions printed on it; previous years listed "not valid while consuming alcohol or illegal drugs".
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#13]
not sure in NY
our CCW was written 100 years ago and it was more a law to force licensing and registration of handguns than carry, so the law that handles it says nothing about carrying in bars or drinking while carrying, unlike more recent laws written specifically to address CCW
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't know about NV, but it's explicitly stated in TN's carry laws that ". . . it is an offense for a person to possess a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance.

A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor."

E-95

In Nevada it is illegal to be CCW if your BAC is over the legal limit for driving. There is a provision in the law that allows a person to be over the legal limit and in possession of a firearm if he is at home and the firearm is to be used for self-defense.

NRS 202.257  

Note: The statute contained in this link states the Nevada BAC as .10. Actually the Nevada BAC level was changed in the last Legislature to .08.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top