Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2004 7:22:56 PM EDT
There was this squirrell in my pecan tree that caught my eye.  Usually I don't care if they eat up the pecans and like to see them out there.  This one had a huge growth on its back and was moving kind of funny.  Some of its hair was missing on both sides of its back.  I took my Stevens bolt action .22, loaded a Calibri powderless round and shot the squirrell through the lungs.  The squirrell climbed up a big oak about 12 feet, then fell dead to the ground.  Upon inspection the squirrell had two large; pingpong ball sized, tumors on it's back.  I have heard of wooves(sp) since childhood and how they were huge maggots that lived under the skin of squirrells and rabbits untill the first frost of the year but have never actually seen any.

Anybody know what "wooves" look like on a rodent?  These things looked like large tumors with a blackened hole at the top like a hair covered zit.  Pretty nasty.  I wasn't curious enough to open one of the knots to find out the content.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Maybe a bot fly infestation?

Ahhh found it.... kinda GRAPHIC
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Edited ^ that's it!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Are "wooves" normal in squirrells and rabbits or are they signs of a diseased animal?

And why do the wooves that live in the squirrells and rabits die when it freezes?

I have heard the same thing about "wooves" but thought it was B.S

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I would have used a RWS mod. 54 .22 cal air rifle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#5]
AZ-K9 - where did you find those pics? WTF is a 'woove' supposed to be? A maggot or larvae that's
growing under the skin, or what?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]
One of our cats got a "woove"when I was a kid.  Funny, didn't seem to bother her much, and we just squeezed it out, put some triple antibiotic on it and it healed up fine.

I've seen them on cattle, too.  Is it "woove"?  I googled woove and only found two entries.  I always thought they were called "wolves" like the canine-type.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Well if that aint about fuckin disgusting....

Luckily any little rodent I see gets blown across 4 acres so I never see such things...

I have the shittin heebie Jeebies now... thanks asshole
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
AZ-K9 - where did you find those pics? WTF is a 'woove' supposed to be? A maggot or larvae that's
growing under the skin, or what?

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Got my first squirrel of the season last Wednesday.  20 ga, one pellet hit him right in the chest, went clean through the lungs and heart and hit no meat.  Squirrel was very clean, no marks, no bugs.  He is cleaned and quartered in my freezer right now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Anybody here EAT squirrels?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Uh..yeah.  They's good eatin'.

OK, after some research I've determined that a botfly and a "wolf worm" are one in the same.  Here's a nice bedtime story:

http://www.vexman.com/botfly.htm
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I like them fried up but damn I never seen a bot fly on them.

I might not be able to eat one if I knew it had one of those damn things living in it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Dam thats fucking sick, my skin is crawling... I love living in the desert.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I eat squirrells. After the new year I try to kill a few to fry.  Early season squirrells have poison oak all over them and I like to wait untill the frosts have made it dormant.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#15]
When I was a kid I heard my dad call them "warbles". Google it and you get a warble fly similar to bot fly.  I never saw one on any squirrel I ever shot but others have.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Got my first squirrel of the season last Wednesday.  20 ga, one pellet hit him right in the chest, went clean through the lungs and heart and hit no meat.  Squirrel was very clean, no marks, no bugs.  He is cleaned and quartered in my freezer right now.

Oh God! Don't tell me you eat squirrels!... Not for real!... Ugh!... I thought  that was just on the Beverly Hillbillies!

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I seen something the other night about the bot fly and how it damages the hide trade in south america cause of the damage it does to cattle. From what I understood it hurts the animal also. The guy on the show was sqeezing out these worms(larva) from the cow, gross man, it mad me sick to thinking about that
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
When I was a kid I heard my dad call them "warbles". Google it and you get a warble fly similar to bot fly.  I never saw one on any squirrel I ever shot but others have.

Around here, those are known as "warbles" too.  I've seen everything from field mice to cattle with warbles.  Absolutely disgusting when you have to remove the parasite from one of your cats.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh God! Don't tell me you eat squirrels!... Not for real!... Ugh!... I thought  that was just on the Beverly Hillbillies!

Sure, squirrel is good eatin'.  About the same as a rabbit, as far as I can tell, and rabbit is an expensive dish in high dollar restaurants.  Hell, I can remember Gramma cooking up groundhog.  I remember using her outhouse, too.  And that was in the 80's.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I love the internet.  There's an entire webpage devoted to these squirrel parasites

botfly.ifas.ufl.edu/

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#21]
You need to not only shoot those squirrels but burn the bodies.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, Southeners have been eating squirrels since they've been squirrels.  Real tasty battered and fried.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, squirrel is good eatin'.  About the same as a rabbit, as far as I can tell, and rabbit is an expensive dish in high dollar restaurants.  Hell, I can remember Gramma cooking up groundhog.  I remember using her outhouse, too.  And that was in the 80's.

Fried squirrel, gravy and biscuits are the best thing in the world. My neighbor used to get squirrels for my family to cook, he would take more than he ate.

You would really like it if you tried it, 76R.

Don't let the warbles turn you off to it, other critters get parasites too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

They are Tree rats.......................all they are good for is shooting
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Fried squirrel, gravy and biscuits are the best thing in the world. My neighbor used to get squirrels for my family to cook, he would take more than he ate.

mmm...damn right.  Or a nice stew on a cold winter day...

And like I said before, 76R, most of the wolves/warbles/botflys I've seen have been on our cows.  You've probably gotten a McBotfly at Mickey D's before and not even realized it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Southerners aren't the only ones that eat squirrels. I love some good fried squirrel. I grew up eating squirrel.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Uuhh... I'll pass.
That's just way too wierd! Like eatin' a mouse or a gopher!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't think they get into the meat, but you may be kidding anyways. I have noticed that all my squirrels are gone as so with the chipmonks. I haven't seen any in a couple of weeks. I don't know if the bad weather has made them move or they ate up all my pine cones.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#29]
If what is shown on the abovementioned website is true, botflies are a natural part of the squirrel live cycle and do not harm it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#30]
the show where they were sqeezing them from a cow looked nasty but he never said they hurt the cattle but he did look at the cow and told it soory for being his example. they draw flies it seemed like an open sore. I guess I need to look at that web site.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#31]
www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26354--,00.html

says, "This parasite is of no public health significance and properly cooked meat from infected animals is safe to eat."  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I love the internet.  There's an entire webpage devoted to these squirrel parasites

botfly.ifas.ufl.edu/

botfly.ifas.ufl.edu/wrbpex/sqcut1a.jpg

Dude that is the nastiest fucking thing I've seen in a long time, thanks for making me    

<----------ETA: Dammit !! now I have to change my avatar!!  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:30:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Um...Yes.  Squirrels have been a staple food for a large part of the country for a few hundres years.  Read a history book about Lewis and Clark or Davy Crockett.

Squirrels have really only stopped being a widly eaten animal in the last 50 years or so.
And a lot more people eat them now than you probably think.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:47:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I've had some, not bad.

Next time i get any, I think frying picked meat up with some Franks Red Hot sauce would be tastey.

Gourmet cooking?   Far from it.   Tastey?  I'd wager on it.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:59:59 AM EDT
[#35]
I'll eat them "tree rats" any day of the week.  Get 6-8 of them and make a great caserole.  Same thing with da bunny wabbits and pheasants.  Hell season is open here now.  Time for the first frost before I go out though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:06:22 AM EDT
[#36]
I can't believe nobody has mentioned eating squirrel brains.  Fry or boil them and then pop the top of the head with a table spoon and suck 'em out.  I don't actually do this, but my great-grandparents did according to my dad.  My family have been eating squirrels as long as anyone can remember.  My grandfather explains that before the 70's there were not many deer or turkey in the area so everyone hunted squirrels and rabbits.  After the deer population really took off in the last couple of decades most folks don't hunt squirrels.  It leaves all the good squirrel woods for us.  

We fry the young squirrels and use the older and tougher ones to make squirrel dumplings.

FYI - If you do harvest plenty of squirrels, fishing lure manufactures such as Mepps will pay $0.15-$0.25 each for squirrel tails.  Leave the bone in, put them in a ziplock bag in the freezer, and overnight them once you get the minimum required for payment.  I think that minimum is 50 or so.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:11:05 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

botfly.ifas.ufl.edu/

botfly.ifas.ufl.edu/wrbpex/sqcut1a.jpg

I've got news for you dude, botflies aren't just squirrel parasites (or cattle, or whatever).

One of the professors at my University -- after travelling in South America -- came back with botflies crawling under his skin and under his scalp as well [barf]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:14:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Looking at those pics, that has to be what one of our cats had on it's chest one time.

Knowing how cats are usually all nice & groomed, I started noticing that she had this one spot on
her chest, in the front neck area, I guess, where the hair was coming out and looked infected. I just
thought that she'd gotten into a fight, and didn't  think anything of it until abt a week later when I
noticed that it didn't look any better.
So while she was sunning herself on day on the porch, I walked up and looked at the spot after
putting on some exam gloves (it looked nasty!) and poked at it, and it moved! So I went in the house,
and grabbed a bottle of peroxide and some tweezers. I poured some peroxide on it, it foamed up bigtime,
and I wiped it off with a tissue. After a few applications, I could see the end of the critter sticking
out, and could tell that it sure didn't like the peroxide! I grabbed the end that I could see with the
tweezers, and slowly pulled it out. Nasty looking critter, about an inch long, and reminded me of a
grub worm. I poured some more peroxide on the now open wound, and cleaned her up, then put some
antibiotic salve on it.
She was loving the attention, and seemed damn glad for me to be ridding her of the pest, and she
was healed up in abt a week or so.

I'm guessing that she was infected by one of the flies normally attracted by our cattle, though I
really can't remember ever seeing any of these critters on them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:14:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Ok.

This thread has creeped me out big time.

I feel stuff crawling all over me, stuff that AINT THERE.

This is more disgusting than the chubby BOTD thread.

Ew.

SHIVER!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:16:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are Tree rats.......................all they are good for is shooting

AND eating...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:23:46 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#42]
incenerate the bitch!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:29:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Yes  the wolf is apart of tyhe squirrels life . It doesn't harm them .It just pops out and becomes a fly and the squirrel heals up. They are normally found on them in the summer months and are gone all together in the winter months. They cause no risk to humans.But like all wild game cook throughly . I use to eat squirrel along time ago. I just hunt them now and give them away to folks. Get a good squirrel dog and have a blast. WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=30328

Damn, now you've got me hungry and it's not lunchtime yet!

How do you fix yours? I haven't had any since my grandmother died a few years ago, and I never
paid much attention to how she fixed it. ISTR that she boiled it for x-amount of time, to make sure
that it was cooked, then took it out, drained it well, then fried it to finish.

Any tips?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:48:07 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, Southeners have been eating squirrels since they've been squirrels.  Real tasty battered and fried.

With side orders of Bot- Fly................... ?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:02:18 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=30328

Damn, now you've got me hungry and it's not lunchtime yet!

How do you fix yours? I haven't had any since my grandmother died a few years ago, and I never
paid much attention to how she fixed it. ISTR that she boiled it for x-amount of time, to make sure
that it was cooked, then took it out, drained it well, then fried it to finish.

Any tips?

Dunno about him, but I cover mine in seasoned flour (Salt and pepper) and fry on medium heat until nicely browned. Yummy.

I have marinated some in BBQ sauce (happened to be Korean) and baked on tinfoil @ 350 until done....took em to work and had to fight for a piece.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I can't believe nobody has mentioned eating squirrel brains.  Fry or boil them and then pop the top of the head with a table spoon and suck 'em out.  I don't actually do this, but my great-grandparents did according to my dad.  My family have been eating squirrels as long as anyone can remember.  My grandfather explains that before the 70's there were not many deer or turkey in the area so everyone hunted squirrels and rabbits.  After the deer population really took off in the last couple of decades most folks don't hunt squirrels.  It leaves all the good squirrel woods for us.  

We fry the young squirrels and use the older and tougher ones to make squirrel dumplings.

FYI - If you do harvest plenty of squirrels, fishing lure manufactures such as Mepps will pay $0.15-$0.25 each for squirrel tails.  Leave the bone in, put them in a ziplock bag in the freezer, and overnight them once you get the minimum required for payment.  I think that minimum is 50 or so.

<----misses his grandma after reading that post.

<----hasn't yet found a girlfriend who will cook squirrels.

<---can't wait for winter and the once (until I have kids) per year trip squirrel hunting.

<---loves squirrel dumplings.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:05:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Dunno about him, but I cover mine in seasoned flour (Salt and pepper) and fry on medium heat until nicely browned. Yummy.
I have marinated some in BBQ sauce (happened to be Korean) and baked on tinfoil @ 350 until done....took em to work and had to fight for a piece.

Sounds good!

Before you fried yours, do you boil it, or just fry it on medium, like you were doing chicken?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:11:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Never heard of botflies before... looks SICK!  But the rest of this thread is bringing back fond memories of my grandfather in rural Texas...  In his older years, one of his favorite passtimes was to shell pecans from the big tree right outside his porch.  One year there was a "bumper crop" of squirrels stealing his pecans, so he declared war.  I witnessed the opening shot of this war... 70+ old, blind in dominant eye, .38 snub-nose, target was about 10yds out & 15ft up in tree.  One-shot, One-Kill.  Grandfather was disappointed he cut the torso in half - he was going for a headshot.   He spent the next year with a .22 on his front porch, and when it was done,  his full-size chest freezer was half-full of skinned & cleaned squirrel.    We ate a LOT of shelled pecans the next year!  No, I've never eaten squirrel, but my grandfather taught me how to shoot!

BTW, contrary to popular belief, the American Colonists earliest years were saved from starvation not by turkey, but by squirrels.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
How do you fix yours? I haven't had any since my grandmother died a few years ago,...
Any tips?

Grandmother from GA fixed them with rice in a pressure cooker.  They were tender and delicious.  
That was 30 years ago and I haven't had them since.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top