Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 7:08:31 PM EDT
I had a lunch today at a restaurant called Schobel's in Columbus, Texas. Columbus is small town like many other small towns in Texas. It has a population of about 4,000.

Schobel's is the most prominent restaurant in that town, and serves good German food as well as good down home cooking. I had sausage, sauerkraut, and potatoes and bacon.

My waittress was a high school senior named Amanda, who was very nice and a delight to talk to. I asked her about Columbus, and if she liked it there. She said she did very much. Her graduating class has 140 students, and there are only three schools in Columbus - one elementary, one middle school, and one high school.

I like Columbus more than other small Texas towns because it is relatively clean and tidy, unlike some of the others. There are a lot of Germans and people of German descent in this town, as in Weimar and Fredricksburg. I asked Amanda if she was German, and she said no, she did not know what she was. She had blue eyes and long brown hair that was tied in twin braids.

Her mannerism was soft-spoken and laid-back. She was not wild or loud like some of girls in Austin with their party-all-night lifestyles, and tattoos. Very approachable and down-to-earth, she exuded a calm demeanor that made you feel at ease right away. Her mother works in Houston (quite a commute!), and I suspect she does not have a father in her life. We talked about what was there to do in Columbus on a Friday night.

The other people in the restaurant were your typical old folks, people like your grandparents, and country people. Columbus is very quiet  - I don't know if I would like living in such a place. It might drive me batty after a while. But it does seem like a good place to raise a family.

Overall, lunch was pleasant, and the food was good. Anyone want to live in a small town such as this?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You learned all of this from your waitress? did you at least get her number?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

A lot of information was exchanged, suprisingly - even more than what I wrote in my post.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I want to live in one with a real main street. All of the family owned shops, good food, ect. NO Walmart, KMart, Target. Like Mayberry.

ETA: I want to be pretty close to a large town. Like 50-75 miles away.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I want to live in one with a real main street. All of the family owned shops, good food, ect. NO Walmart, KMart, Target. Like Mayberry.

Columbus has a nice main street with the little shops. There is a Walmart, too, but I don't mind it so much. It's small, and besides where else would you get cheap ammo?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Columbus has a nice main street with the little shops. There is a Walmart, too, but I don't mind it so much. It's small, and besides where else would you get cheap ammo?

I knew of a town like what I said. Walmart moved in and main street is gone.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#6]
My moms hometown in Oregon. Very small, tight-knit community. We always laughed that it reminded us alot of Northern Exposure. Sorry, I wont name that small town. Its a nice little place that has given me special memories since I was young enough to remember and I dont want to know what other people think of it. All that matters to me is what I think of it and I fear that with all things it will change someday and never be the small qaint town like it was. There were no corporate entities in this town either. There still isnt any. Any businesses there are strickly mom and pop businesses. The only thing grand and prominent in this small town is the church, as it should be.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I do...

Except we dropped back to two schools across two little towns...

More cows than people, sadly more crack pipes and crack heads than decent people.  

Small towns are bad for people living in the town intself, not much to keep them entertained, but on the flip side, not much evil to get into.  If your on the outskirts (me) the fun never stops.  I never had a bored day in my life from either ranching or shooting.  Absolutly love it.

Problems are you run into asshole families (bullies in highschool, who never get out of that phase) and thus pass it on to their children.  But again, live in the country and you dont have that problem.

+1 Small towns.  Excellent place to raise kids IMO, experience nature first, then let them go put up with loads of shit heads and assholes in the city when they are old and bring it on themselves
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A lot of information was exchanged, suprisingly - even more than what I wrote in my post.

Clean Cut, you must be a pimp
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you mean by that?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Clean-Cut, do you have an older brother named Wally who has a friend named Eddie?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you mean by that?

ehh nevermind, Clean Cut, your one of my favorite posters, but sometimes your to clean cut to understand my humor.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I had someone buy me free Pizza.

I dunno where I want to live, Im never really happy anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Don't you live in a small town in Georgia?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope I live in Augusta GA.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I been to Macon and Atlanta. Georgia is a nice state.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#16]
It may be nice, not much that happens around here and has some bad/annoying things.  

I live far enough out to be left alone most the time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It may be nice, not much that happens around here and has some bad/annoying things.  

Too much solitude is not good for your mental health.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beats the neighbors kids throwing rocks, stealing and wanting to call the cops all the time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beats the neighbors kids throwing rocks, stealing and wanting to call the cops all the time.

You live alone?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes I live by myself, very few people come see me too.

1 friend yesterday
1 fellow board member the other week
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Country girls are only second to foreign girls.

Canadian girls are harsh
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Canadian girls are harsh

Yea my situation with one didnt work well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Canadian girls are harsh

Nothing compared to Russian?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Canadian girls are harsh

Never tried Russian girls, but I hear they are very cold. Emotionally I mean.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Canadian girls are harsh

My expierance with the Russian one has been less annyoing.  I dont know why I still talk to her even.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
My moms hometown in Oregon. Very small, tight-knit community. We always laughed that it reminded us alot of Northern Exposure. Sorry, I wont name that small town. Its a nice little place that has given me special memories since I was young enough to remember and I dont want to know what other people think of it. All that matters to me is what I think of it and I fear that with all things it will change someday and never be the small qaint town like it was. There were no corporate entities in this town either. There still isnt any. Any businesses there are strickly mom and pop businesses. The only thing grand and prominent in this small town is the church, as it should be.

I live in that small Oregon town (Saint Helens) after moving from one in Texas (Kyle).  It's a little further to drive to work, but I ride a motorcycle any time I can and it's all farmland between home and work.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Does Eddie Peace still run a tattoo shop downtown?  Is he still alive?

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know, where was it or what was it called, I can find out.

Tattoos arent my thing so I dont know offhand
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know, where was it or what was it called, I can find out.

Tattoos arent my thing so I dont know offhand

I only remember the owners name was Eddie Peace (and that may not be spelled right).

It's been about 35 years since I was in his shop.  He did a few of my earlier ones.  Actually the whole family (Eddie, his wife, son and daughter) did tattoos out of their shop downtown.  We would ride down from S. Carolina.  I kind of doubt he's still alive as he was in the business in WW2 doing tats on a lot the Army boots that trained there before shipping out overseas.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#31]
There still are a few down there, 1 is down near the end of Broadsterrt, whichmight be the one your thinking of.

Most of the Tattoo places are closer to Ft Gordon now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#32]
The problem with living in a small town is they are often located off the beaten path and far from the job market. Depending on what you do, that could be a real problem. I also think the lack of intellectual stimulation could get old after a while. But, if you are close to a larger metropolitan area, it might not be too bad.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:21:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The problem with living in a small town is they are often located off the beaten path and far from the job market. Depending on what you do, that could be a real problem. I also think the lack of intellectual stimulation could get old after a while. But, if you are close to a larger metropolitan area, it might not be too bad.

Along with those problems less people means your run into the same ones more often which couldnt not be a good thing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:44:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Oh, did I mention my waittress was quite beautiful.

If she was a bit older, I could see myself settling in Columbus.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:48:33 AM EDT
[#35]
1 and a half pages, and nobody's let loose with this yet?

This thread is useless without pics!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:49:29 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
1 and a half pages, and nobody's let loose with this yet?

This thread is useless without pics!

Ah yes, a pic would be nice. But not something I could get.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:56:32 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I've always pictured you as a young man.  How old was she?  16?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:14:34 AM EDT
[#38]
I've found the same things you're describing and am  presently looking for land out that way.   It Won't drive me crazy at all.

Rip
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:53:56 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I drive 25 miles each way to work, which is better than the 40 I drove in Texas.  That's the price I pay for small town living.  

OK, there was that $40K savings on a house too.  

I never really noticed a lack intellectual stimulation though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:55:15 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Give her a year or two and she will be old enough.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:10:07 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I had a lunch today at a restaurant called Schobel's in Columbus, Texas. Columbus is small town like many other small towns in Texas. It has a population of about 4,000.

Schobel's is the most prominent restaurant in that town, and serves good German food as well as good down home cooking. I had sausage, sauerkraut, and potatoes and bacon.

My waittress was a high school senior named Amanda, who was very nice and a delight to talk to. I asked her about Columbus, and if she liked it there. She said she did very much. Her graduating class has 140 students, and there are only three schools in Columbus - one elementary, one middle school, and one high school.

I like Columbus more than other small Texas towns because it is relatively clean and tidy, unlike some of the others. There are a lot of Germans and people of German descent in this town, as in Weimar and Fredricksburg. I asked Amanda if she was German, and she said no, she did not know what she was. She had blue eyes and long brown hair that was tied in twin braids.

Her mannerism was soft-spoken and laid-back. She was not wild or loud like some of girls in Austin with their party-all-night lifestyles, and tattoos. Very approachable and down-to-earth, she exuded a calm demeanor that made you feel at ease right away. Her mother works in Houston (quite a commute!), and I suspect she does not have a father in her life. We talked about what was there to do in Columbus on a Friday night.

The other people in the restaurant were your typical old folks, people like your grandparents, and country people. Columbus is very quiet  - I don't know if I would like living in such a place. It might drive me batty after a while. But it does seem like a good place to raise a family.

Overall, lunch was pleasant, and the food was good. Anyone want to live in a small town such as this?

CC.  Sounds like a nice girl. Hope you live long enough to enjoy some time with her 'cause I can hear your arteries slammin' shut from over here in OH.

Does sound like some good eatin'!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:11:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Don't let those looks fool you.

That girls legs are pinned behind her ears every night.

Not much for teens to do in a small town other than screw.

Sorry to ruin it for you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:30:41 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Ugh.  If you like small towns, DON'T SHOP AT WAL-MART.  Spend your money at Mom and Pop stores and keep the local economy alive.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#44]
I used to live in a small town like that but it is currently becoming a suburb of houston.  I like small towns.  About 15 years ago we had to do a small job in Columbus and I had to go take the towns master electrician liscense test.  It was about 15 question essay style.  The only thing hard about it was some of the questions had terminology that was antique, that I didn't know.  

I was impressed by  how clean the town was at that time.  The really good thing about Columbus is that it is far enough away from Austin , San Antonio , Houston, that people will have to shop locally to some extent.  Last time I ate at Schoebles I ate the buffet and it was all good.  I don't know if the girl told you, but they have a real good cowboy shooting club over there kind of north and west of town.  It is run by a great bunch of folks.  Another plus for Columbus is the Colorado river which runs beside it.  Much better looking than the Brazos plus a fine swimmin and cannoeing river.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:26:53 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Don't let those looks fool you.

That girls legs are pinned behind her ears every night.

Not much for teens to do in a small town other than screw.

Sorry to ruin it for you.

There are some wild country girls, but actually there is more to do in a small town than in some cities.  You got wedding dances and church and working and big time school spirit plus hunting and fishing and camping and and shooting, plenty of farming, ranching.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#47]
I drive thru Columbus regularly when I drive to see my folks in San Antonio.  The short trip from Houston is about 4 hours and the stop in Columbus is pleasant.  I could definitely see living there or in a small town like that.  My wife on the otherhand, would consider anything that wasn't relatively close (40 miles) to a Major Mall...........wasteland.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top