Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 6:52:36 PM EDT
These are some pictures I took while working with FEMA. There are more HERE.

A trailer in a very poor part of Pensacola

Another house in a poor part of Pensacola (Brownsville)

This is the slab of what is left of a 5,000sq.ft home in Grande Lagoon near Perdido

Another slab.

Grande Logoon subdivision.

Another slab. Home is MIA.

This pic is all over the news.

More Grande Lagoon pics. This area was hit the hardest, There are still 11 people missing from this subdivision alone.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#1]
WOW!   The power of these storms always amaze me.  Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh man, tremendous amount of damage. And these are not even the Jeanne pics.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I have Family in Apopka. I hope everything turns out for the best for them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Ivan was stronger than Jeanne. I believe by 20-35MPH. Ivan hit as a strong Category 3 with winds of 135MPH. In the end all hurricanes suck and really tear stuff up no matter what the category.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ivan was stronger than Jeanne. I believe by 20-35MPH. Ivan hit as a strong Category 3 with winds of 135MPH. In the end all hurricanes suck and really tear stuff up no matter what the category.

I'm sure that was pretty scarey to ride out even a CAT3 hurricane. The stongest wind storm I've been was only something like 40-50mph winds in the Mojave Desert of So. Calif.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure that was pretty scarey to ride out even a CAT3 hurricane. The stongest wind storm I've been was only something like 40-50mph winds in the Mojave Desert of So. Calif.

I didn't experience the Category 3. I evacuated to southern Florida, and I am glad I did since a tornado hit our apartment complex.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm impressed with the humor those folks still posses.[
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I agree.  In a lot of ways, it seems that events like Ivan bring out the best in people.  Most of the folks I met were generous to a fault.

Our FEMA team deployed to Perdido, FL (almost due west of NAS Pensacola) and setup our base in a church community center.  We're here to help those in need and a family with a restaurant around the corner who had lost their house and had no power in their business cooked lunch and dinner for our 80 guys every day.  Simply amazing.

E-95
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.  In a lot of ways, it seems that events like Ivan bring out the best in people.  Most of the folks I met were generous to a fault.

Our FEMA team deployed to Perdido, FL (almost due west of NAS Pensacola) and setup our base in a church community center.  We're here to help those in need and a family with a restaurant around the corner who had lost their house and had no power in their business cooked lunch and dinner for our 80 guys every day.  Simply amazing.

E-95

I was at a church community center today until 1:00pm. It was the Perdido Bay Community Center off Gulf Beach Hwy. I was also there yesterday evening helping to unload their truck. Do I know you?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

E-95

I was at a church community center today until 1:00pm. It was the Perdido Bay Community Center off Gulf Beach Hwy. I was also there yesterday evening helping to unload their truck. Do I know you?

Perdido Bay Community Center is where we had our Base of Operations.  We had everything from our command group to sleeping quarters setup in the gym.  We left last Sunday though.  Were you there at all last week or over last weekend?

E-95
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Another humor pic, from Destin, FL.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I got activated Thursday 9/23.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoted:

The story with this car is that it was a mint condition 1981 Toyota Cressida that belonged to a little old lady with very low miles. The guy I talked to about it jokingly mentioned puting it on eBay as a hurricane souvenier.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I got activated Thursday 9/23.

Ah, we demobed on the 19th and made it back to Memphis early Monday morning.  Have they opened up the bridge to Perdido Key yet?

E-95
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm surprised you guys missed pic #139:

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#18]
cool, I'll be looking at these later
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top