Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 6:52:30 PM EDT
Seeing the other camera thread got me to thinking about my own little dilemma. Anyone got one of these? Both 10X or so optical zoom, 640 x 480 /30fps video, low light capabilities and image stabilization. The Canon is cheaper right now, but by christmas or so they should be close to each other.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I like Canon products.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got the Z2.  I love it.  The 10X optical zoom is fantastic.  Nice size too.  Not too big, not too small.  My wife complined that too many cameras are now so small that it is hard to get your fingers on the buttons.  I agree.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The Canon uses Compact Flash memory (VERY desirable), and includes an almost-adequate 32 MB card. The Minolta uses Secure Digital memory (NOT de$irable), and includes a paltry 16 MB card. For this reason alone, I'd definitely go with the Canon.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#4]
iVE GOT  The Dimage 3, its the version or 2 before the one you mention. It takes awesome pictures, and sd or compact flash is not a problem, you'll either dl it to your PC, or take and stick it in the alladin machine at walmart and get perfect prints. Not a problem at all
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:47:53 AM EDT
[#5]
My wife, I think, has the Canon and she has no complaints.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
iVE GOT  The Dimage 3, its the version or 2 before the one you mention. It takes awesome pictures, and sd or compact flash is not a problem, you'll either dl it to your PC, or take and stick it in the alladin machine at walmart and get perfect prints. Not a problem at all

i have the Dimage Z1 version and i am happy with it.if you shop around you can find memory pretty cheap.i bought 256 memory for 20 after 20 rebate.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Compact Flash is considerably cheaper, more widely available, and can be purchased in larger memory sizes (including microdrive versions)...which is why it's the standard memory format on most professional cameras.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the S1 IS.  All I can say is it's an incredible camera.  It is usable by both the most inexperienced and most experienced photographers alike.  The "auto" mode is fantastic and works in most situations.  For those extremely special situations like photographing stars or something, special modes are available such as extended exposure, multiple frames, etc.

I mostly use auto.  My friends are continually impressed by the quality of the pictures this thing takes.  

Here's a link to one of the pics I took a couple weeks ago.  Just used auto, press and click.  Those that have taken sunset pictures with film know this is a difficult shot to get right:

Sunset pic

The video modes are pretty impressive too.  If you want a sample, just IM me and I'll send you one.

I'm sure the Minolta is a fine camera as well, but I can tell you for a fact you won't be disappointed with the S1 IS.  

Best Buy has it on sale right now for $400.  You'll probably want to spend another $100 for an extra memory card, a couple sets of NiMH batteries of the 2400 mAh variety, and a charger.  

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top