Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 5:32:31 PM EDT
This is an active thread on the Rifle and Pistol caliber thread, but we seem to have hit a brick wall, so I bring it before the GD.

The Colt based 9mm system for AR holds open on the last shot with colt mags.
The RRA clone of the colt system does the same with colt mags, but not uzi mags simply modified to fit the mag block.

Once again, the RRA system is (according to RRA) a CLONE of the colt system.

Now, colt mags are around sisxty bucks each, while new RRA modified uzi mags are around 35 each.

Do us 9mm owners need to fork over the cash for these impossible to find mags or can we just find the right follower for our RRA/south african/vector/uzi mags????

I'm sure if an Industry Partner were to manufacture said followers, much business would come their way,
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Agreed, if the ban stays away I am sure this will happen
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell, Colt should start freeing up some of those 9mm mags now that the DEA has switched over to the Rock River Arms rifle for its boys.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Colt pattern magazine followers will not work in a Uzi mag.  In the back on the Uzi mag, the "rib" is where the colt bolt hold open would travel, but there is no room for it.

IN MY OPINION: The demand for "colt pattern" mags is just high enough that even if somebody else decides to produce them, they will still cost more than the modded UZI mags.

sorry for the spelling.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Colt pattern magazine followers will not work in a Uzi mag.  In the back on the Uzi mag, the "rib" is where the colt bolt hold open would travel, but there is no room for it.

IN MY OPINION: The demand for "colt pattern" mags is just high enough that even if somebody else decides to produce them, they will still cost more than the modded UZI mags.

sorry for the spelling.

I think that they could be made cheap enough, sad to say a friend of mine has a colt 9mm. He has 3 usa brand mags that work great after he worked on them a little. He says he paid $40 for all 3 and they hold 32 rds. So somebody could make them of better quality for no more than $20 a piece.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Which one works with Sten mags?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree.  One of the main reasons I haven't built a 9mm AR is the cost of mags, and I will probably end up going with a Storm.  At least with the Storm, mags are cheap and you have the bolt-hold feature with the last round.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Which one works with Sten mags?

Oly
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#8]
there's gotta be some way around this.  I mean not only are the colt mags expensive, they're IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND.  especially for us banned state folk.  The DEA comment was on the ball though.  there should be some more on the market now that RRA kicked colt's ass - I mean now that the DEA switched to 223.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sad to say it, but the answer is getting an Uzi...
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Uzi mags converted to hold AR15 carbine bolt open when empty:

users.zoominternet.net/~picplace/bolt_hold_open.htm
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad to see this thread.  I want to build a 9mm AR.

Probably go with the OLY, as Sten mags are dirt cheep.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm sad to say it, but the answer is getting an Uzi...

AAAAAGGHHH!!! No, don't get an Uzi!  For the love of all that is holy, don't get an Uzi!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Hell I just hope Steyr Aug can make my rifle appear, then I'll really start worrying about mags, I ordered four extra with it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe Rich with Magpul might make some followers for the Uzi mags.

He did come up with some kick-ass replacement followers for AR mags, after all...

Just a thought...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:08:29 AM EDT
[#15]
kripes Magpul is definitely a "listen to arfkom" company but jumpin' jehoseheth, some prices of thiers////
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:10:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Let me get some time at home, I can take apart and Uzi and a Colt mag take my calipers and see if I get any bright ideas in my Colt 9mm AR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top