Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 4:27:41 PM EDT
Oakland halts DUI checkpoints after Hispanic leaders complain
KESQ | 9/26/2004

Oakland, Calif. - The Oakland Police Department has halted its use of D-U-I checkpoints after the city's Hispanic leaders complained that the roadblocks were ensnaring too many illegal immigrants.

D-U-I checkpoints allow police officers to demand drivers' licenses and proof of insurance. City leaders agree the roadblocks are an effective way to get drunken drivers off the streets.

But Hispanic community leaders and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente complained that the checkpoints were making life miserable for illegal immigrants who aren't licensed to drive but otherwise obey the law.

Police Chief Richard Word has ordered a month-long moratorium on the checkpoints while the department drafts new guidelines.

But City Councilmember Larry Reid says stopping D-U-I checkpoints threatens public safety.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
KESQ | 9/26/2004

Oakland, Calif. - The Oakland Police Department has halted its use of D-U-I checkpoints after the city's Hispanic leaders complained that the roadblocks were ensnaring too many illegal immigrants.

D-U-I checkpoints allow police officers to demand drivers' licenses and proof of insurance. City leaders agree the roadblocks are an effective way to get drunken drivers off the streets.

But Hispanic community leaders and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente complained that the checkpoints were making life miserable for illegalimmigrants who aren't licensed to drive but otherwise obey the law.

Police Chief Richard Word has ordered a month-long moratorium on the checkpoints while the department drafts new guidelines.

But City Councilmember Larry Reid says stopping D-U-I checkpoints threatens public safety.

so not only are they Illegally here, but they are illegally driving also? I don't understand, and will never go to california again(not that I was planning to anyways).
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
... WTF is going on in this country ?!?!?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Jesus H Christ.

When is this shit going to end?   Do they have SO MUCH pull in the political community?  They sure as hell can't vote, unless they manage to do that too

- BG
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
But Hispanic community leaders and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente complained that the checkpoints were making life miserable for illegal immigrants who aren't licensed to drive but otherwise obey the law.

Oh they obey the law alright, like our
Immigration Laws
Vehicle Code laws
Insurance laws
Employment laws (they have real Social Security cards and numbers right?) No they buy them.
They obey our laws because illegal aliens never drink or urinate in public, never drive drunk, never beat their wives, don't use or sell drugs, and of course they pay more in taxes than the services they take............................ yeah right.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... WTF is going on in this countryCalifornia ?!?!?

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Mind numbingly dumb isn't it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What he said...
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow! Drunk illegal aliens driving unlicensed without registration nor insurance in Commiefornia! Who would have thought that would happen?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#9]
***Directive from the Assisitant to the Assistant to the V.P. of V.I.P. Relations to follow***

To:  All cops and everyone else
Subject: DUI checkpoints
Effective: Immediately

It has come to my attention that numerous personnel of Citizenship other than United States have been contacted during the checkpoints to snare DUI and license/insurance violators.

This activity is to cease immediately, as it places an undue burden on folks that are already honoring all our other laws.  Well except the immigration ones.  Oh, and the DL requirements too.  But they are good drivers.  There may be some labor law concerns, but hey, the do put in an honest 40 hours a week.

In fact, all patrols are hereby cancelled.  

However, the Firearm Unit will remain in force, spot inspections of permits and random domocile checks for prohibited assault weapons will continue (well, until the SCOTUS get's off their hands and actually RULES on the 2A, like that will ever happen!)

Additionally, all public schools will now be under a 3 hour day rule.
No parents are allowed to interfere with the judgement of our fine Gov't schools.
No loner will SUV's be allowed on our city streets.
No more blue cars.
No satellite dishes on your property, you must submit to city approved prorgamming.

In order to ensure the quality of the city revenue structure, you will no longer be receiving a pay check.   You will now receive vouchers for tax deferred goods and services, on a per-occasion basis from the city, pending aproval.  A current Tax ID is required, for those of United States Citizenship.  The city reserves the right to charge a reasonable fee for this permit.

That is all.

Go about your business.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#11]
As a Hispanic let me do as the Muslims DON'T:

THIS IS UTTER HORSESH!T!!!!

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Situation Normal All F*cked Up.

This just in on the Basically Sound Radio:

All local police, county sheriff, state highway patrol, and federal offices tasked with upholding any law have been dibanded by the new president John Kerry in a stunning 1st hour executive order. This reporter has overheard confidential talks that the measure is meant to reward all the criminals that flooded the polls with votes, and saved America from another four years under the former president.

Top analyst predict that part of the measure was designed to prevent the former law enforcment offices form unfairly persecuting persons who found themselves on the wrong side of the law. Persons who have found themselves on the wrong side of the law have been sharply critizing the label 'criminal' in recent years. THe unfair, rude, racial, bigogited, and cruel label of 'criminal' has left many feeling disenfranchised and as outcast in our diverse pluralistic society.

Top officials from the ACLU, NAACP, and the Democratic Party and many highly regarded public figures such as Al sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Former President Carter, and Al Gore hail the executive orders as opening a new door on America.

An man who prefers not to be identified made this comment after we arranged an interview after a drunken driving robbing raping and pillaging spree, "Of course I feel it is a wonderful thing, now that I don't ahve to look over my shoulder for cops all the time, I feel I can truly express myself in my crime - whoops, illicet futime activities. I personally voted for Kerry in four counties and would have kept going if I hadn't wrecked my last stolen car."

THere you have it folks, this is a new day in America where even criminals, whoops, persons unfairly on the wrong side of the law, can express themselves.

Now Dan, back to you. On a side note. Didn't the new president asign you as lifetime White house correspondant for all your efforts in his election campaign?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#13]
SWEET ZOMBIE SANTA!

Ok everyone just sit in your homes and dont leave so you dont piss someone off who's a different color.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
KESQ | 9/26/2004

But Hispanic community leaders and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente complained that the checkpoints were making life miserable for illegalimmigrants who aren't licensed to drive but otherwise obey the law.

so not only are they Illegally here, but they are illegally driving also? I don't understand, and will never go to california again(not that I was planning to anyways).

They're also driving drunk, which is a felony when you don't have a license here in AZ. My father got 4 months in prison and a felony conviction for it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#16]
What's next?
Bank robbery?
Rape?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Read it again.  they aren't driving drunk, they are driving without licenses and insurance which is why they are getting snared.

Kinda surprising that Gov. Moonbeam as Mayor has allowed it.  If I remember correctly to be legal checkpoints aren't allowed to check licenses and insurance without pc.  Just driving down the street ain't enough in this state.  th ones that I've been thorugh didn't ask for them and the one that gets set up a few blocks away afew times a year doesn't either.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#18]
So they are here illegally, Driving without a license(Driving test) or insurance BUT they are legal in every other way...What the Christ is left
Can you buy and register a car in Kali without a license or proof of insurance OR am I continuing to be mean spirited and racist
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#19]
The Hispanic group is "probably" those pathetic MECHA losers.......

Quoted:
KESQ | 9/26/2004

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#20]

illegal immigrants...obey the law

That's an oxymoron.  Are those Hispanic leaders mentally handicapped?  Or are they taking advantage of the City leaders who ARE retarded for going along with this crap?

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
So they are here illegally, Driving without a license(Driving test) or insurance BUT they are legal in every other way...What the Christ is left
Can you buy and register a car in Kali without a license or proof of insurance OR am I continuing to be mean spirited and racist

Wihout a license Yes.  Without Proof of Insurance Yes.  What concentration camp states require those for purchases???  

Now for operation on the public highway you do.  That said, reregistration requires proof of insurance.  The state does allow a certain period of time between purchase  and acquiring insurance on that new vehicle.And mosy insurance companies well insure if you notify them within a given period of time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:42:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Pssssst, Yo Kooter...

Fourteen states give drivers licenses to illegals. (IE they are breaking the law, the govt knows they are breaking the law, the govt knows where they live yet the govt still gives them a license)

See if your state is on this list...

Alaska, Connecticut, Idaho, Louisiana, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Utah, Washington and West Virginia

www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=34640

Thirteen states currently accept Mexican consular identification cards for issuing driver's licenses. The states are Idaho, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, North Carolina, New Mexico, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wisconsin

www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/9/17/13435.shtml
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:49:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Do you have a link to that info?  

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#25]
What do they do with an illegal when they bust them for no licene/insurance.  I expect liegal citizens get thier asses nailed to the wall for it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
For those who failed geography and don't have a map ... Oakland is the slum of the Bay Area - the ultraliberal heart of California and possibly the nation (NYC possibly).

And only 25 miles away from me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:58:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Worse Im closer..I say 10 miles
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:03:52 AM EDT
[#28]

It seems like we got a little break from the usual horseshit.. its now piling on..
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:29:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... WTF is going on in this countryCalifornia ?!?!?

Correction: KOMMIEFORNIA i.e "The Red State."
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:29:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have a link to that info?  

See original post. Added links that I had saved when Calif passed the law. It was repealed and Arnold vetoed the newest attempt...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:35:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
As a Hispanic let me do as the Muslims DON'T:

THIS IS UTTER HORSESH!T!!!!

Ditto.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:39:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Heck, the last time someone posted about D.U.I. checkpoints, the overwhelming majority of ARFCOMers claimed they were unconstitutionaly anyway.
Can't have it both ways guys.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:47:46 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Heck, the last time someone posted about D.U.I. checkpoints, the overwhelming majority of ARFCOMers claimed they were unconstitutionaly anyway.
Can't have it both ways guys.

I dont like the idea of checkpoints, but my problem is why they stopped these checkpoints.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top