Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 3:24:55 PM EDT
"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us"

George Orwell"

RULES FOR GUNFIGHTING

• Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all your friends who have guns.

• Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Your life is expensive

• Only hits count. The only thing worse then a miss is a slow miss.

• If your shooting stance is good, you’re probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly.

• Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Unless you are the attacker) (Lateral and diagonal movements are preferred)

• If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and as many friends you have that own long guns.

• In years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

• If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.

• Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" then the inherent accuracy of the gun.

• Use a gun that works EVERY TIME.

• Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it’s empty.

• Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

• Have a plan.

• Have a back-up plan, because the first plan will not work.

• Use cover and concealment as much as possible.

• Flank your adversary when possible. Protect your flank at all times.

• If you are protecting someone else’s flank, yours is most likely exposed.

• Don’t ever drop your guard.

• Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.

• Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them)

• Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quick ENOUGH.

• The faster you finish the gunfight, the less shot at you will get.

• Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

• Be courteous to everyone, friendly only to your friends.

• Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence and de-escalation.

• Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun the caliber of which does not start with a ".4".

• Surprise gunfights are only good if you are not the one being surprised.

NAVY RULES

• Go to sea.

• Sail to vicinity of conflict.

• Send in the Marines.

• Drink coffee and wait.

edited to add bullets & correct spelling
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Go to sea.
Sail to vicinity of conflict.
Send in the Marines.
Drink coffee and wait.

True that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#3]
amen

forgot one: ammo, and lots of it!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
amen

forgot one: ammo, and lots of it!

I think that would fall under item #2 ....

Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Your life is expensive
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#5]

If you're not shooting, you should reloading.  If you're not reloading you should be moving.  If you're not moving, somebody's gonna cut off your head and put it on a stick.

-- Clint Smith

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#6]
classic!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Best post of the day, and with an addition to my sig line as well!

- BG
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
<snip>
[
  • Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun of a caliber which is less than a .45.

• <snip>

IMO, the change to the above was required.
    Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:47:08 PM EDT
    [#9]
    I do believe that I heard Clint Smith say each and every one of those at Thunder Ranch.

Good rules.
    Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:51:16 PM EDT
    [#10]
    Words to live by while the enemy dies.  Stole the Orwell quote for new sig line.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:55:01 PM EDT
    [#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
    <snip>
    [
  • Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun of a caliber which is less than a .45.

• <snip>

That new 5.7x28mm round is pretty impressive.
    Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:11:16 PM EDT
    [#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
    <snip>
    [

• <snip>

That new 5.7x28mm round is pretty impressive.

Granted but, as always, to each their own. Perhaps I should have noted in my above post, when I refer to .45, it means a .45 Super with a 185gr. Nosler. I am an old dog, one that is set in his way(s), think of me as archaic if you will....
    Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:15:01 PM EDT
    [#13]

Quoted:
    Best post of the day, and with an addition to my sig line as well!

- BG

+1 x2

Couldn't resist the urge!!!
    Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:38:53 PM EDT
    [#14]
    23 RULES OF A GUNFIGHT
    (Learn em’ and Live!)

1. First get good, then get fast, then get good-and-fast.

2. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring two.

3. Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting twice (two quick hits are good, and three or more are even better).

4. Only hits count.

5. The fastest reload is going for your backup.

6. If your shooting stance is good you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

7. Keep shooting until the threat no longer exists; then stay sharp until somebody with a badge tells you to freeze.

8. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend.

9. It is more condusive to have a few well placed hits with a small caliber handgun, as opposed to many misses with a large caliber one.

10. There are only two factors that matter: a reliable, accurate handgun..... and a high degree of shooting skill.

11. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

12. If you are not shooting you should be reloading, running, or seeking cover.

13. Bushes make terrible cover.

14. Praying might get you into heaven, but it wont clear a double feed. Train!

15. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.

16. A knife in the hand of a drunk is just as deadly as a gun in the hand of a sober marksman.

17. Remember: Murphy lives in every gun and in every round of ammunition.

18. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

19. Speed is fine.....but accuracy is final.

20. “Always cheat, always win.” (Clint Smith's favorite)

21. If you "Live to Shoot" you will "Shoot to Live." (Ishoot2live's Favorite)

22. The only way to "win" a gunfight is not to get into one.

23. If you must get into a gunfight.... remember: history is written by the winner and there are no "second-place" winners.

Other instructors and shooters in the gun community have contributed to this list, and I have added a few of my own as well.  I'll say one thing: they all make sense.

Be Safe.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:50:02 AM EDT
    [#15]

Surprise gunfights are only good if you are not the one being surprised

This goes well with one of my favorite saying . . . . . "It's a sin to be surprised" Camper
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top