Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 2:10:48 PM EDT
I am going deer hunting in the Ruby Mountain Wilderness next week.  Can I use a game cart to haul a deer back to my car?  I know they don't allow bikes in wilderness areas, so I kinda have my doubts about using a deer cart.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, after last year's drag, I would certainly recommend a cart.

Call the agency responsible for Ruby Mountain, or just go ahead and take the cart  with your stuff piled on; I'll bet nothing wil happen.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably NO.  Using motorized ANYTHING in a "Wilderness" area is and has been illegal for years.  In fact 30 years ago the USFS wouldn't even allow rescue helos in unless it was an absolute life and death situation and foot or horse ground crews couldn't get them out.  They even ran into problems over firefighting around here from the E-whackos that actually sued the USFS for using motorized equipment on some fires in "W" areas.  In other words if it is designated, you better not get caught, that will be the most expensive deer you ever bagged.

If it's not officially designated it probably is OK.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:12:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Probably NO.  Using motorized ANYTHING in a "Wilderness" area is and has been illegal for years.

+1
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:54:30 AM EDT
[#4]
2 feet or 4 feet only, sorry no wheels!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:46:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Its not motorized.  Its one of those hand carts that Cabelas sells... sort of like a dolly.

Still prohibited?!?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep. Read Tactical's post: 2 feet or 4 feet only, sorry no wheels!!!

No wheels allowed. Motorized or not.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:02:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I've used a similar cart on hunts in designated USFS Wilderness areas before with no troubles.

Wilderness hunts are the best hunts expressly because the fat asses on their ATVs that have ruined western hunting can't operate there.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:13:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like it ok unless you get caught

Oh well, I always like to bring the animal home whole to show my little kids but it sounds like I'll have to pack this one out unless I get him real close to the truck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Call your local US Forest Service office. They are the ones who govern the Wilderness areas in addition to the Nat'l Forests. They'll tell you straight.

And no, you don't want to be caught either.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:37:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Why not just check the BLM website?

Mechanical transport is banned in all designated wilderness areas. Mechanical transport is defined in section 6301.5.

Sec. 6301.5

Mechanical transport means any vehicle, device, or contrivance for
moving people or material in or over land, water, snow, or air that has
moving parts. This includes, but is not limited to, sailboats,
sailboards, hang gliders, parachutes, bicycles, game carriers, carts,
and wagons. The term does not include wheelchairs, nor does it include
horses or other pack stock, skis, snowshoes, non-motorized river craft
including, but not limited to, drift boats, rafts, and canoes, or
sleds, travois, or similar devices without moving parts.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The term does not include wheelchairs, nor does it include

Sounds like that's the answer to your dilemma. Sled or travois.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Once again, the wisdom of bureaucrats overcomes common sense; do they have any idea how much damage a travois or sled will make?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Once again, the wisdom of bureaucrats overcomes common sense; do they have any idea how much damage a travois of sled will make?

That is what I was thinking... dragging a 200 lb carcus with a sled, tearing up the ground and breaking my back vs putting him up on a two wheeled cart over a foot trail which wouldn't cause any damage at all.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Once again, the wisdom of bureaucrats overcomes common sense; do they have any idea how much damage a travois of sled will make?

That is what I was thinking... dragging a 200 lb carcus with a sled, tearing up the ground and breaking my back vs putting him up on a two wheeled cart over a foot trail which wouldn't cause any damage at all.

Nobody ever said federal regulations have to make sense...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Just use it. what are they going to say to someone in a WHEELCHAIR.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Use a wheelchair with 2 poles for handles.  Strap Mr. deer in, and put a hat on him.

Good hunting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Just dress the animal where you shoot it and pack out the meat on you and your partners pack frames.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Why not just check the BLM website?

Mechanical transport is banned in all designated wilderness areas. Mechanical transport is defined in section 6301.5.

Sec. 6301.5

Mechanical transport means any vehicle, device, or contrivance for
moving people or material in or over land, water, snow, or air that has
moving parts. This includes, but is not limited to, sailboats,
sailboards, hang gliders, parachutes, bicycles, game carriers, carts,
and wagons. The term does not include wheelchairs, nor does it include

I just realized that rigging a sail to a Canoe in a wilderness is illegal.  I used to do this all the time up in the boundry waters.  I'm also pretty sure that the cooler with wheels was a no-no.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Sure use a wheelchair, by the time they get finished laughing at you they probably won't fine you.  A jury rigged travois would work a lot better than a wheelchair.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top