Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 1:39:28 PM EDT
It is really a deer rifle for the future.  My son is 5 so I got plenty of time to find one.  Money is not a huge factor but I do like a good deal.  Let's say keep it under $1000 so that rules out custom stuff pretty much.  It needs to be centerfire and and I don't like the idea of an exposed hammer like on a lever action rifle or NEF/H&R.  If Remington made a left hand Model 7 it would be perfect.  What do you guys suggest. Again, left handed youth model suggestions needed.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Come on people how are we going to get young shooters involved if nobody can recommend a gun for my kid.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#3]
You might step him up.  Start with a Contender Youth Carbine.  You can start him off with .22 and move up in power as he's ready.  At 5 YO, you really don't need much of a thunder stick.  Single shot, very safe, one shot - one hit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I am aware that a kid needs to shoot a pussycat of a rifle.  He started at age 4 with my Ruger AWC silenced .22 with a scope.  I stay real close, real close.  He likes shooting so far.  I just think it would be cool to get the gun now or at least know what is available so that I could make the purchase.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#5]
you could buy a short action remington receiver and put it in a youth stock. if you want to get him a rifle for deer hunting, i would stick to calibers like a .243, .257 roberts, .260 rem, or if you don't mind going a little more exotic, the 6x45 or a 6mm BR. i still think that 5 is a little young to go deer hunting, but if you get him something light recoiling now and have him work on it, within the next 2-4 years, he should be ready to go out with you. another idea would be to go with a ruger no.1 rifle and cut down the stock to fit him. that way you can just get different barrels for him for down the road.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I know Winchester makes the Model 70 Featherweights left handed, but they might be bigger than what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Cookhj, Yes 5 is too young to actually hunt.  I don't think any five year old is emotionally capable of handling taking the life of a deer.  However, since I am such a gun fan it is only natural to make such a big deal out of my first of two sons hunting rifle.  Since the hour that I found out I was having my first son I have been been debating what would be the perfect rifle for him.  I had no idea he would be left handed since neither his mother or I am left handed.  Also, you missed part of the post I think since this is for a left hand person.  Remington makes no left hand youth model that I know of so far.  I am a big Remington fan and would get a Model 7 youth gun if it were offered in a left hand version. Weight might rule out the Ruger #1 since it is heavy as hell.  

I started to wonder if I could get a custom stock from Boyd's or someone,
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I got the NEF.

I have three kids, one southpaw and two righty's. The NEF is pretty light, I need to download 7mm-08 to keep it comfortable. .243 would probably be better.

I start my kids with the .22 when they can hold it themselves. I stay real close, but 5 isn't to young.

I was fishing on Kodiak Island a few years ago. The guide lived 8 hours from town by boat. He started his kids deer hunting at 8 with a .223. The family were each allowed 5 deer a year, and every member got their limit.

He taught his kids by letting them shoot a bb gun. When they could hit a bottle cap every time(I don't remember the range), he'd move them up to the .22. By age 8 each of them was shooting ducks every day of the season and deer every year.

I haven't found any problems with kids and killing animals when the kids are raised knowing and seeing where meat comes from. I think not being able to handle killing an animal is an adult problem, not a problem for a kid.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Lost -Drive-In?  Is your NEF a youth model or regular model?  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top