Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 10:42:50 AM EDT
My dog is a barker. I try to bring him inside whenever he starts barking. usually during the daytime I just let him bark for a little bit, then put him in the garage. has anyone tried one of those shocker bark collars? do they work worth a damn? He is a big dog, so would he be able to just ignore the shock and keep barking anyways?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I tried, but my neck is too big...

- CD
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#2]
get a good one..

DT or Tritronics. one with a elevating volume.

dont turn it on for a few days..
maybe even a week after you let him get use to it. then turn it on.

he wont get coller shy that way..
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#3]
It didn't work for me at all.  My girlfriend kept figuring out a way to get it off.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I used one on my Golden Retriever about 5 yrs ago.It took her about 3 barks to realize it pays to shut up.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#5]
My parent's neighbor tried one....his dog barked all the time.  It only took him a few times to realize that a whining yelp didn't activate the shock.  Now he yelps all the time.  More annoying than the barking.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a few on some of hounds out back. When ten lion hounds light up they can be a real pain in the butt. Anyway I put a few on some then would trade them out often that way all of them got covered.
Be sure to alternate use with a dummy collar.
M
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Be a little more humane and use a citronella collar. Then it automatically sprays him when he barks. How would you like to be shocked everytime you spoke??
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Be a little more humane and use a citronella collar. Then it automatically sprays him when he barks. How would you like to be shocked everytime you spoke??

Most people dont go outside and scream at their neighbors.  The people who do, deserve to be shocked!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

They're being kind.  I'd have just shot the disobedient mutt.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in the country,only one neighbor screamed at me,now they don't even talk to me which is fine. The other side is my mother-in-law she doesn't bother us. When I worked at the dog training facility we used citronella collars the dogs learn real quick not to bark. I personally would never use a shock collar. It can damage the vocal chords on a dog. Plus you have to zap them right when they are barking otherwise they don't know why they are being shocked. The citronella collars work automatically,you don't have to do anything but put it on the dogs neck. You just have to make sure the collar is fit right.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Jack Russells should come with one from the breeder. It worked wonders.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#12]
for those who think of humane issues.

i have used quaility E collars for over 15 years in training for K-9 and hunting retrievers as well as OB work of other types of breeds.

2 things come into play regarding E collars:

1- the level of stimulus is realitively light..
most dogs get the necessary correction with only 1-5, maybe a 6 on a scale of 20 on the collar.

2- the secret of the E collar is that the dog punishes itself.
the dog doesnt realize that its the owner pushing the button.

i have used the ecollar on myself..and it wasnt like a 10,000 volt stun gun..
a wierd..zap...really a twitch..on low levels.

i have never seen a dog that has any damage from the use of a shock collar...

do not be swayed by dogs that yelp when zapped every now and then. dogs bark and yelp every now and then from being surprised.

dogs are master thespians...who know exactly how to get mercy from the handlers/owners.
they do like the attention and pity party...they get...

for training other than just using the NO Bark collars..
there are several quality books out there.
dobbs, Tritronics..come to mind.

of course, any area retriever club will have several individuals who are capable of helping. even if just for OB work.

almost all K-9, service and retrievers are trained with the help of these collars now..atleast some portion of training.

these tools will cut your time, money and stress without a doubt.

I LOATHE it when i hear people tell me i'm inhumane for using shock collars and prong collars on dogs.

WHAT BULLSHIT.....

of course...
it usually comes from people who have ever seen me work a dog..

on the otherhand...
most people are in AWE of what the dogs i train can do....
the most common words are usually " i wish my dog could do that....."

hell, i personally recommend them for all women.....strapped to the leg...or hell the neck for some.

wife..."did you get the garage cleaned up today"
me...."no, i didnt...."
wife..."i thought you said..."
me...thumb on DT transmitter, level 3 set for momentary.."click"...
wife...silence....."..............."
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I live in the country,only one neighbor screamed at me,now they don't even talk to me which is fine. The other side is my mother-in-law she doesn't bother us. When I worked at the dog training facility we used citronella collars the dogs learn real quick not to bark. I personally would never use a shock collar. It can damage the vocal chords on a dog. Plus you have to zap them right when they are barking otherwise they don't know why they are being shocked. The citronella collars work automatically,you don't have to do anything but put it on the dogs neck. You just have to make sure the collar is fit right.

That makes sense.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#14]
No matter how hard I try to convince them, the university will not let me put them on my students  

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
for those who think of humane issues.

i have used quaility E collars for over 15 years in training for K-9 and hunting retrievers as well as OB work of other types of breeds.

2 things come into play regarding E collars:

1- the level of stimulus is realitively light..
most dogs get the necessary correction with only 1-5, maybe a 6 on a scale of 20 on the collar.

2- the secret of the E collar is that the dog punishes itself.
the dog doesnt realize that its the owner pushing the button.

i have used the ecollar on myself..and it wasnt like a 10,000 volt stun gun..
a wierd..zap...really a twitch..on low levels.

i have never seen a dog that has any damage from the use of a shock collar...

do not be swayed by dogs that yelp when zapped every now and then. dogs bark and yelp every now and then from being surprised.

dogs are master thespians...who know exactly how to get mercy from the handlers/owners.
they do like the attention and pity party...they get...

for training other than just using the NO Bark collars..
there are several quality books out there.
dobbs, Tritronics..come to mind.

of course, any area retriever club will have several individuals who are capable of helping. even if just for OB work.

almost all K-9, service and retrievers are trained with the help of these collars now..atleast some portion of training.

these tools will cut your time, money and stress without a doubt.

I LOATHE it when i hear people tell me i'm inhumane for using shock collars and prong collars on dogs.

WHAT BULLSHIT.....

of course...
it usually comes from people who have ever seen me work a dog..

on the otherhand...
most people are in AWE of what the dogs i train can do....
the most common words are usually " i wish my dog could do that....."

hell, i personally recommend them for all women.....strapped to the leg...or hell the neck for some.

wife..."did you get the garage cleaned up today"
me...."no, i didnt...."
wife..."i thought you said..."
me...thumb on DT transmitter, level 3 set for momentary.."click"...
wife...silence....."..............."

+1

muddydog...as well as I have ever seen it put~
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top