Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 8:37:26 AM EDT
The local shop has a Springfield Armory Tanker Garand that looks to have been made quite a few years ago.  It has a new stock on it and the metal is in pretty good condition.

I have been looking around the net but I can find no definitive information regarding value.

The price he has on it is not very high so I have considered buying it just to resell if not to keep.

What is the going price for a Tanker Garand?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:48:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to the M1 forum at  www.jouster.com for a good answer to your question.

My recollection is fuzzy, but I don't think tanker Garands were ever used in service - they are aftermarket contrivences, and from the post below, you better look it over to determine if the gun is a reweld.

Here is another link with an answer www.scott-duff.com/t26.htm

and www.recguns.com/Sources/IIID2b1325.html

It ain't worth much, IMHO, unless someone can determine it is an authentic T26.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto what AeroE said. They were never issued, so real Garand collectors tend to balk at them. Personnally I like em and would like to add one to my collections sometime. But it's not near the top of my list yet. Be sure it's not a re-weld receiver. I've seen them for $400.00 before, but it's been awhile. I like Garands!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#3]
As long as it is not made by National Ordinance you may be ok.
I had one for a while and it would not feed for anything. Kind of a cool looking single shot I guess.
I think I would take the money I paid for mine, 400.00 and buy a real Garand from the CMP instead. It got alot of attention at the range though.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been looking for one of those my self. I have seen them lately selling for up two $1100.00. I came across one in Denver a few years ago for $500 in a shop. And now I'm kicking my self for not getting it. Last year I saw an ad for gun-smithing a standard rifle into a Tanker. But cannot find it for the life of me.

Does anyone know the smith I'm talking about? Or a good gun-smith that can do the conversion?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ditto what AeroE said. They were never issued, so real Garand collectors tend to balk at them. Personnally I like em and would like to add one to my collections sometime. But it's not near the top of my list yet. Be sure it's not a re-weld receiver. I've seen them for $400.00 before, but it's been awhile. I like Garands!

Was there another type of shortened Garand?  Sorry to make a Hollywood reference, but in the last episode of Band of Brothers, Shifty Powers is shown carrying a short Garand in the scene where they are deer hunting in the woods.  Was this weapon accurate for 1945 or is this another Hollywood screw up?  The series appears to be pretty accurate based on my limited knowledge of WWII equipment...

Dave
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an Arlington Ordinance Tanker in 7.62x51 built on an original Springfield receiver. No such thing as a real "Tanker". The T26 proto's weren't intended for, nor beta tested by tankers it's just a name.

That being said I put mine in a BM59 MkIV Nigerian(similar to an M14E2) stock from Reese Surplus for low bucks and it is uber cool.I put a Smith Ind. brake on it. Muzzle blast alone brings down light aircraft, but there is NO muzzle flip the gun just sort of reciprocates. It is very fast and once I figured out that the cut down op rod spring had to be reversed it it totally reliable.

I gave $500 for mine 6 or 7 years ago and would buy another in a minute.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#7]
So I guess it wouldn't be worth $750 to buy it and resell...

Actually, I could probably talk him lower than that but I don't want to chance the gun not being worth more than I pay for it.

When I get ready to buy a Garand, I'm getting a real one from the CMP.  My only interest in this rifle was the possibility of turning a profit.  I had seen them for sale at around $1100 or more and was wondering if this one was possibly worth that much.

Thanks for the info!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top