Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 8:27:29 AM EDT
What do you guys think of this stuff? Good? Bad?

I've never bought Blackhills before so I thought I'd try some out. I got 68 grain Match HP rounds. I'm kinda pissed... it looks like at least 2/3rds of the rounds have sand or some shit stuck in the HP.
Should I be worried about the rounds damaging the gun in some way?
supposed to be match rounds, they don't look consistent to me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I have bought some of their reloaded stuff in the past. It always  worked flawlessly. There aren't any dealers in my area that stock the brand, so I haven't tried any of their factory new stuff.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I use only BH for hunting, it did the best in all my shooting trials.  Anything inside the hollow of the hollow point does not come in contact withthe bbl, I would cll BH and ask them what it is out of curiosity.  Let us know.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Im gettin ready to test some 77gr Blackhills reman moly and HOrnady 75gr shells in my M4 AR. should be interesting, not sure what im lookin for. lol. But jus seeing what the bullet drop will be compared to the Xm193 ammo I shoot now. Im zerod for 50yards. so im jus lookin for function and realiability with accuracy as well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Black Hills ammo is the Cadillac of ammo.
Firing it through a bolt gun with known good accuracy gives easily sub-MOA results.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Big +1 for Black Hills. I shoot a lot of it and love it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#6]
My main concern with this ammo is that the sand or whatever it is will fall out and get a bullet stuck in the bore
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My main concern with this ammo is that the sand or whatever it is will fall out and get a bullet stuck in the bore

Huh? Sand ?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh? Sand ?

I'm not sure but thats what it looks like. I took a needle and poked the top pebble off and the stuff literally poured out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh? Sand ?

I'm not sure but thats what it looks like. I took a needle and poked the top pebble off and the stuff literally poured out.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh? Sand ?

WHAT are you talking about?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Haven't you heard of the new Jello powder rounds?

No idea. It can't be frangible stuff, can it?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh? Sand ?

WHAT are you talking about?

Looks like this shit
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I've heard lots of stories of this substance in the bullets. I can't remember what it is for sure. It might be tumbling media, I can't remember. But as far as I know, nobody has ever had any issues with it. Besides, if it's inside the hollow cavity, it's not going to effect the ability of the bullet to expand because OTM bullets don't expand anyway, but rather yaw sideways in the target, break in half and fragment into tiny pieces.

If it's real a concern to you, you can clean the stuff from the rounds before you load up. But otherwise, I wouldn't  spend any time worrying about it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok thanks for the info guys. Just never seen this kind of thing  before
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#18]
BH is GOOD STUFF! My 1:8 loves the heavier rounds and the blue box is what I shoot.  I think the media is cork that you are talking about in the hollow point. Won't affect the rounds but you can always take a pair of tweezers and pluck it out
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#20]
It is probably ground walnut shells, used to tumble the bullets in. I tumble my bullets in walnut shells after I molly coat them to get the excess molly off.  I always have a problem with media getting in the tips of the bullets.  I simply dont worry about it.

I notice the same thing in the black hills ammo that we sell at our high power matches. Black Hills ammo is great stuff. I have only heard good things about it. I have heard that they use a 68 grain Hornady. This is an excellent bullet IMHO.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
(I live here, nyah nyah nyah na na na!)

Uh huh. Not many people live there WITH you. Not that thats always bad.You right in Rapid City?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#22]
People seem to report better luck with the 69gr. sierra bullet load from Black Hills but the 68gr. shoots just fine in my LTR.  The blue box is a bargain for match ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top