Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 7:17:55 AM EDT
I need some info on vets returning from war and how they can bring firearms back legally. Specifically vietnam and Kerry and his supposed Chinese rifle. Not so up to date on this thing and in a debate about it right now. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#1]
It is my understanding that war trophies have to be filed away on a particular type of form before being brought home. But full-auto weapons to my understanding were never allowed to be brought home by an individual. So unless Kerry's gun has been demilled, I don't see how he can personally own it.

I'm not sure what was allowed, but I'm pretty sure soldiers returning home were only permitted pistols, bolt actions rifles, and at the very most an SKS carbine. No Full-auto, no machine guns, no submachine guns, no grenades or explosives of any type, basically nothing such as these items were permitted.

So how Kerry managed to glom onto an AK and keep it, I have no idea. Perhaps someone else here can better explain the procedure for collecting war trophies.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Section1, number 5 of the PDF.

www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r608_4.pdf

I don't know how much it's changed since vietnam but these are the current regulations and the above mentioned form.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you HH, this will help.
Anyone know if  it has changed much though since vietnam?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:35:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thank you HH, this will help.
Anyone know if  it has changed much though since vietnam?

From my personal experience:
Some of the mechanized units, and others, have an easy time storing trophies and such in their gear, not so easy for the grunts.
Most commanders either don't know or "look the other way".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top