Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 6:52:12 AM EDT
Noticed a rather large number of coons hit on the highway in the last couple of months. Yesterday I drove home from northern Ohio and counted 43 dead coons on the roads. Is there a population explosion of them this year or what? Any C.O.'s out there that have any input?

I hunt and and am always paying attention to what is going on with the critters. I've never seen it this bad and curiosity is getting the best of me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:55:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I've noticed at least 15 dead on the drive from my place to work over the last few months.  I can't help ya......it is strange though.  Although right now we've also got 3 dead deer awaiting highway notification for clean up.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:18:52 AM EDT
[#2]

There is also a rabies epedemic among raccoons in eastern Ohio-western PA.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Same here.  I counted 6 on Thurs during my 8mile bike ride, near my house.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:21:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Racoon populations have been increasing everywhere for years, they do very well in urban enviroments and they have much lower levels or predation than ever before.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

There is also a rabies epedemic among raccoons in eastern Ohio-western PA.

Yeah, I was at a small airport south of Youngstown where USDA had the command post for the rabies vaccination air drop. Was talking to those guys for a couple days and was enlightened as to how bad the epidemic is.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:37:21 AM EDT
[#6]
How many babies does a momma coon give birth too?I have had a moma coon any my back deck with 7-8 chilluns.....my kats go nuts over the critters looking in the screen at them.Cute little bastards...I am allways glad to see them move on though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#7]
We had one living in the ceiling between the 2nd and 3rd floor of our apartment for a few days.  He fell into the utility closet and hard a hard time gettin back outta there.  Scared me half to death, primarily for the safety of our dog and our daughter.  Couldn't shoot it 'cause of the gas line.  Although, from a distance, they're very cute.  You just don't generally want the outdoors living indoors with ya!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Blame it on McDonalds......

MT
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#9]
EDITED:

1.) Posting derogatory comments of a racial, religious, or sexual nature. This includes your username, signature line, and title. Site Staff and Moderators reserve the right to edit these items and to remove your ability to modify them in the future.

YOU'RE NEW, I'LL WARN YOU ONCE.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to have a racoon as a pet... they physically cute there attitudes are not... evil sum bitches
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top