Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 9:45:01 PM EDT
Does your current address you put on the 4473 have to match the address on your drivers license or other ID.  I bought a few guns where my driver's license has my old address and nothing was said about it.  But, last week, I went to pick up a 10/22 and the dealer said we couldn't do the transfer until I get an updated drivers license.  His he correct or blowing smoke up my ass?

Scott
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd require the same! It's a CYA system.
M
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup I match the DL to the 4473. Sorry I got to CMA.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Does your current address you put on the 4473 have to match the address on your drivers license or other ID.  I bought a few guns where my driver's license has my old address and nothing was said about it.  But, last week, I went to pick up a 10/22 and the dealer said we couldn't do the transfer until I get an updated drivers license.  His he correct or blowing smoke up my ass?

Scott

I was rejected once because I hadn't updated my driver's license and put the new address on the 4473.    I drove to the DMV, got it fixed, and drove back to the store within an hour.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:09:03 AM EDT
[#4]
The address on my DL is a valid P.O. Box.

The address on my 4473's is a physical address, which I verbally provide my FFL's. To date, none have required that I provide any written verification of said address.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a L.E.O. and our info is protected by Florida law.  I had my work address on my vehicle and D/L.  

I ordered a lower from Pete-in-NH.  When it came in I went to fill out paperwork and pick up the lower.  The FFL refused the sale until my address matched the paperwork.  I will never deal with that FFL again.    

I've purchased a few firearms with my work address on the D/L.  The dealers didn't have a problem with it.  

Colt_SBR
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:33:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Glad you brought this up.  I'm bad about moving and not putting in for a change of address for a while afterwards.  You can be sure that the 4473 address will match my DL from now on.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The address on my DL is a valid P.O. Box.

The address on my 4473's is a physical address, which I verbally provide my FFL's. To date, none have required that I provide any written verification of said address.

Same here.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been going with my home address, I have a diffrent one on DL.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Per the ATF, you CANNOT use a PO box. It MUST be your physical address. If your ID has a PO box, you must provide a second form that corrosponds to the physical address:

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Per the ATF, you CANNOT use a PO box. It MUST be your physical address. If your ID has a PO box, you must provide a second form that corrosponds to the physical address:

www.atf.gov/forms/4473/images/4473-1.gif

I've bought 15 different guns with a P.O. box on my ID , and have never had to show a second I.D.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:42:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Did you put down your physical address, or did you use the PO Box?

The form clearly states that you cannot use a PO Box address as primary address on the form.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:49:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Just last week I went to the DMV to get a new DL with my new address for the purpose of picking up a rifle.

I could have *lied* and used my old address (the one on the DL) on the 4473 and nobody would have been the wiser.

How do I know this? Not saying

But apparently, NICS doesn't care about your address too much.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:52:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.atf.gov/forms/4473/images/4473-1.gif

I've bought 15 different guns with a P.O. box on my ID , and have never had to show a second I.D.

Then the dealer's that sold you the guns, violated the regulation.  27CFR Sections 478.124 and 478.11 require that the identification presented to the dealer must show the purchaser's residence address, not mailing address.  If the document shows a previous address, it alone is not enough.  A second government issued document must be presented showing the current residence address.

State laws on identification requirements may also come into play.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The form clearly states that you cannot use a PO Box address as primary address on the form.

I wrote down my physical address.Might have something to do with the dealer goes to the same church as me , and this is a small town on an island . BUT I have also had a second AK dealer back up the same thing with haveing a P.O. on your ID is ok.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I have refused tons of sales because the drivers license address doesn't match the current address. I have also turned down lots of people that had a PO box for their drivers license address. when they complain(and they always do) I tell them " If there was a fire at your house and you called the fire department, would you tell them your PO box was, or would you tell them your home address?" The first question I ever asked anyone buying a firearm,before I even get out the 4473, is "does your DL license address match your current address?" If they say anything other than yes, they don't get the firearm. unless they have supporting documentation
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:30:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wrote down my physical address.Might have something to do with the dealer goes to the same church as me , and this is a small town on an island . BUT I have also had a second AK dealer back up the same thing with haveing a P.O. on your ID is ok.

It is okay to have a PO box on your ID, but you cannot use the PO box as an address on the 4473.
Most dealers require that you have a second form to validate the address on the 4473.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:02:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Mine does now, but it hasnt in the past.  I had one dealer who required extra documentation, luckily I had a utility bill in my vehicle (dealer was 2 hours from home).  I havent done business with him since, even though he has a lot of nice stuff.  Nobody else ever questioned it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top