User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 6:35:00 PM EDT
FrontPageMagazine.com
September 23, 2004

The Islamic States of America?
by Daniel Pipes

www.danielpipes.org/article/2100

The hardest thing for Westerners to understand is not that a war with militant Islam is underway but that the nature of the enemy's ultimate goal. That goal is to apply the Islamic law (the Shari‘a) globally. In U.S. terms, it intends to replace the Constitution with the Qur'an.

This aspiration is so remote and far-fetched to many non-Muslims, it elicits more guffaws than apprehension. Of course, that used to be the same reaction in Europe, and now it's become widely accepted that, in Bernard Lewis' words, "Europe will be Islamic by the end of the century."

Because of the American skepticism about Islamist goals, I postponed publishing an article on this subject until immediately after 9/11, when I expected receptivity to the subject would be greater (it was published in November 2001 as "The Danger Within: Militant Islam in America"). I argued there that

The Muslim population in this country is not like any other group, for it includes within it a substantial body of people—many times more numerous than the agents of Osama bin Ladin—who share with the suicide hijackers a hatred of the United States and the desire, ultimately, to transform it into a nation living under the strictures of militant Islam.

The receptivity indeed was greater, but still the idea of an Islamist takeover remains unrecognized in establishment circles – the U.S. government, the old media, the universities, the mainline churches.

Therefore, reading "A rare look at secretive Brotherhood in America," in the Chicago Tribune on Sept. 19 caused me to startle. It's a long analysis that draws on an exclusive interview with Ahmed Elkadi, the Muslim Brotherhood leader in the United States during 1984-94, plus other interviews and documentation. In it, the authors (Noreen S. Ahmed-Ullah, Sam Roe, and Laurie Cohen) warily but emphatically acknowledge the Islamists' goal of turning the United States into an Islamic state.

Over the last 40 years, small groups of devout Muslim men have gathered in homes in U.S. cities to pray, memorize the Koran and discuss events of the day. But they also addressed their ultimate goal, one so controversial that it is a key reason they have operated in secrecy: to create Muslim states overseas and, they hope, someday in America as well. …

Brotherhood members emphasize that they follow the laws of the nations in which they operate. They stress that they do not believe in overthrowing the U.S. government, but rather that they want as many people as possible to convert to Islam so that one day—perhaps generations from now—a majority of Americans will support a society governed by Islamic law.

This Brotherhood approach is in keeping with my observation that the greater Islamist threat to the West is not violence – flattening buildings, bombing railroad stations and nightclubs, seizing theaters and schools – but the peaceful, legal growth of power through education, the law, the media, and the political system.

The Tribune article explains how, when recruiting new members, the organization does not reveal its identity but invites candidates to small prayer meetings where the prayer leaders focus on the primary goal of the Brotherhood, namely "setting up the rule of God upon the Earth" (i.e., achieving Islamic hegemony). Elkadi describes the organization's strategic, long-term approach: "First you change the person, then the family, then the community, then the nation."

His wife Iman is no less explicit; all who are associated with the Brotherhood, she says, have the same goal, which is "to educate everyone about Islam and to follow the teachings of Islam with the hope of establishing an Islamic state."

In addition to Elkadi, the article features information from Mustafa Saied (about whose Muslim Brotherhood experiences the Wall Street Journal devoted a feature story in December 2003, without mentioning the organization's Islamist goals). Saied, the Tribune informs us, says

he found out that the U.S. Brotherhood had a plan for achieving Islamic rule in America: It would convert Americans to Islam and elect like-minded Muslims to political office. "They're very smart. Everyone else is gullible," Saied says. "If the Brotherhood puts up somebody for an election, Muslims would vote for him not knowing he was with the Brotherhood."

Citing documents and interviews, the Tribune team notes that the secretive Brotherhood, in an effort to acquire more influence, went above ground in Illinois in 1993, incorporating itself as the Muslim American Society. The MAS, headquartered in Alexandria, Va. and claiming 53 chapters across the United States engages in a number of activities. These include summer camps, a large annual conference, websites, and the Islamic American University, a mainly correspondence school in suburban Detroit that trains teachers and imams.

Of course, the MAS denies any intent to take over the country. One of its top officials, Shaker Elsayed, insists that

MAS does not believe in creating an Islamic state in America but supports the establishment of Islamic governments in Muslim lands. The group's goal in the United States, he says, "is to serve and develop the Muslim community and help Muslims to be the best citizens they can be of this country." That includes preserving the Muslim identity, particularly among youths.

Notwithstanding this denial, the Tribune finds MAS goals to be clear enough:

Part of the Chicago chapter's Web site is devoted to teens. It includes reading materials that say Muslims have a duty to help form Islamic governments worldwide and should be prepared to take up arms to do so. One passage states that "until the nations of the world have functionally Islamic governments, every individual who is careless or lazy in working for Islam is sinful." Another one says that Western secularism and materialism are evil and that Muslims should "pursue this evil force to its own lands" and "invade its Western heartland." [links added by me, DP]

In suburban Rosemont, Ill., several thousand people attended MAS' annual conference in 2002 at the village's convention center. One speaker said, "We may all feel emotionally attached to the goal of an Islamic state" in America, but it would have to wait because of the modest Muslim population. "We mustn't cross hurdles we can't jump yet."

These revelations are particularly striking, coming as they do just days after a Washington Post article titled "In Search Of Friends Among The Foes," which reports how some U.S. diplomats and intelligence officials believe the Muslim Brotherhood's influence "offers an opportunity for political engagement that could help isolate violent jihadists." Graham Fuller is quoted saying that "It is the preeminent movement in the Muslim world. It's something we can work with." Demonizing the Brotherhood, he warns, "would be foolhardy in the extreme." Other analysts, such as Reuel Gerecht, Edward Djerejian, and Leslie Campbell, are quoted as being in agreement with this outlook.

But it is a deeply wrong and dangerous approach. Even if the Muslim Brotherhood is not specifically associated with violence in the United States (as it has been in other countries, including Egypt and Syria), it is deeply hostile to the United States and must be treated as one vital component of the enemy's assault force.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Hasn't this been done today??
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was in college in the early 80's the Muslims had a strong Anti-Zionism movement on campus. I have to assume they are much stronger 20 years later. I don't see how the schools can deny they have a presence.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the Islamic States of America, and to the theocracy for which it stands. One nation, under Allah, with subjugation and slavery for all.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
As long as I draw breath, the USA will NEVER be an Islamic state...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The problem is that it will happen so slowly it will be impossible to combat without coming across as being a bigot.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The problem is that it will happen so slowly it will be impossible to combat without coming across as being a bigot.

Then I guess its time for me to "Archie Bunker" up
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#7]

FRONT
TOWARD
ENEMY

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Over my dead body.  No way will it ever happen here.  Europe, I have already written off. The UK is fucked too.  Canada?  Maybe the cities.  But no fucking way in the US.  IMPOSSIBLE.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I've understood this for that last couple years. Antbody who thinks we can co-exist with Islam is naive or in denial. As long as we support Isreal, we are the enemy of Islam. If we stop supporting Israel, we lose. Their efforts to popularize Muslims in this country is just another effort to exercise influence and power.

Sweden is a good example of what happens when you tolerate Islam. Muslims have taken over Sweden's third largest city and rape Swedish women as young as 13, at will. The police admit they have no control. The city is controlled by Muslim gangs.

Muslims will neutralize Europe before long. Europeans will just be factory workers for their Muslim masters. In just 30 years since Viet Nam, the attack on the West has progressed further than I imagined.

We just can't let that happen here. This is America, we have our culture and our laws, and we must demand they be respected.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I think its Tin Foil hat time again.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've understood this for that last couple years. Antbody who thinks we can co-exist with Islam is naive or in denial. As long as we support Isreal, we are the enemy of Islam. If we stop supporting Israel, we lose. Their efforts to popularize Muslims in this country is just another effort to exercise influence and power.

Israel is not the issue, Dude.  We could nuke Israel and do everything Muslims want from us, and we'd STILL be the infidel enemy.

The issue is that they're Muslims, and we're not.  This is the source of strife that THEY inisist is the problem.  I could give a fuck if they worshipped dung beetles, I wouldn't care.  But when they think they're superior?  That we have to worship their god or die?  That we have to alter our successful society to accomdate their failed one?

Sorry bub.  That is non-negotiable.  And if you have a problem with that and want a war, you really really really picked the wrong people to fuck with,
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#12]
The thought of my grandchildren wearing burkas and praying towards Mecca five times a day makes my skin crawl.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#13]
May I have my 72 virgins now?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey Mussie!

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#15]
DAMM thats a dumb post!!  It'll never happen here! Over my dead body and from my cold ,dead hands!  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Over my dead body.  No way will it ever happen here.  Europe, I have already written off. The UK is fucked too.  Canada?  Maybe the cities.  But no fucking way in the US.  IMPOSSIBLE.

Related

Saddam wants to go to Sweden
Carin Pettersson og Ole Berthelsen 21.09.04 11:48

Iraq’s former dictator Saddam Hussein wants to be pardoned and go into exile in Sweden.

(AFP/Scanpix)«We wish that he is pardoned and allowed to live in exile, in for example Sweden,» said Saddam Hussein’s lawyer Giovanni di Stefano, to the paper Aftonbladet.

Yesterday, he met with representatives for the Iraqi government in order to present an application of pardon. In the application, the question of a possible exile country is raised.

«You can ask for pardon regardless if you are guilty or not guilty in the accusations,» stated di Stefano. «In Saddam’s case the accusations are just bullshit.»

pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article281254.ece
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#17]
um... Europe WAS largely overrun by Islam back in the middle ages until Charles Martel beat em back to Spain in the Battle of Tours in 732 AD.  BTW,  the Muslims invaded Europe with the intent of muslimizing it hundereds of years before the crusades.  Don't let anyone ever tell you that the Christians started the Muslim/Christian feud.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#18]
If only they would show their true colors. But they won't, because they're cowards who behead unarmed female aid workers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I think it's only a matter of time.  When we realize what happened it'll be too late.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I think it's only a matter of time.  When we realize what happened it'll be too late.

Only if they somehow got our guns.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Naaah...we'll have nuked 'em before then...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only if they somehow got our guns.

What guns, we don't own no stinkin guns
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I think that Islam is more of a European problem as far as conquest. I am far more concerned with the Mexican Invasion.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I think that Islam is more of a European problem as far as conquest. I am far more concerned with the Mexican Invasion.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Sad but true.  Most people in this country are too stupid to even understand the threat that we are facing now.   With the media on their side we are already at the point where we cannot even say anything against them without being threatened with a hate crime.  The media focused our attention away from what happened in Russia (if you missed it they raped and murdered hundreds of children) and will not show the beheadings.  There are already thousands of terrorists waiting in this country waiting for orders. How many heard about the ship with a thousand AK47 that was intercepted on its way to New York?  I bet you heard that Brittany Spears got married again though.  Do you really think the police with their 9mm pistols are an even match for people who are willing to make themselves into human bombs?  Have you seen the training manuals?  They are well organized and ready for anything the police can send their way.   The feds are keeping them quiet for the time being, but the borders are wide open.  When they get the numbers where they want them God help us.  As long as they have their entertainment, most Americans will sleep until it is too late.  Sweet dreams all.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:17:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I strongly recommend against laughing this off with a "tinfoil hat" joke.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I strongly recommend you seek professional help.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:29:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to laugh it off but if anything has a chance of remotely causing a change here in the U.S.,  it will be from the influx of Hispanics and not the Muslims.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm highly skeptical that white Christian Europeans will be converting to Islam in droves just because some radical Imams think they have a plan for mass subversion. Yet that seems to be the whole backbone of the argument here, especially since these "conspirators" claim to be using the West's democractic values against them. How else to gain a solid majority in favor of imposing Sharia Law?

If anything, the two religions will learn to live side by side. Any attempts at imposing Islamic Law anywhere in Europe will surely be met with fierce resistence by the aethist, Christian and Jewish populations.

As for electing Muslims to office here in America -- again, far fetched at best. The probabilty of a Muslim President is just so low, I'd give Nader a bigger chance of winning this year than that ever happening in our lifetimes. And with the scrunity the media puts on candidates, I'm sure any shady connections this person had would be revealed to the public. Trust is huge these days; just think of the hell Kerry is taking for his anti-war stance in Nam or Bush's record in the Guard.

And even still, the great people who founded this country had the insight to make a good system of checks and balances. So even if, in some twisted future reality, some radical pro-Jihad President was ever elected, what real power would he have, domestically speaking? He'd have to go through two houses of Congress to pass Sharia Law, which would be struck down by the Supreme Court assuming it actually passed or wasn't filibustered to death in the Senate. And he wouldn't be able to appoint pro-Sharia Law Justices because they, too, have to go through Congress. And an amendment? No way, the states have enough power to make sure that will never happen. Furthermore, the people of our country are ARMED and can fight against tyranny (in this case, Sharia Law) because of the 2nd Amendment. No good American citizen would sit by and watch the constitution be "set aside" so they could live under the rules of a religion they don't even belong to.

I think the author of that article, as well as the Muslim leaders spewing forth this crap, put FAR too much weight into the influence of Islam while simultaneously underestimating the average American.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#30]
The author is also forgetting that Russia is a European country.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=278674
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Not to laugh it off but if anything has a chance of remotely causing a change here in the U.S.,  it will be from the influx of Hispanics and not the Muslims.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top