Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 2:29:42 PM EDT
Since removing myself from my previous job that paid relatively well and had decent benefits I find myself in a bit of a fix.  
Both of my parents had dentures prior to their 40's and I have managed to escape that due to using prescription toothpaste for the past 20 years or so.  Now I find my teeth (teef) are starting to crack and break faster than I can afford to have them fixed due to low pay and hardly any benefits, not to mention the bad genetics.
I was curious if anyone has had any dental work done in Mexico, or opinions on having dental work done in Mexico?
Please feel free to jump in with any opinions, thoughts and especially first hand knowledge of doing this.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
NO WAY... instead of Novacaine they just give you lots of Tequila until you pass out. Then you pass out, get robbed, pants unzipped, found in an alley and you still have your broken teeth.

Do it the American way. Here in USA with a foreign doctor.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw this on TV. The border towns in Mexico actually cater to 'el nortes' just like the canadian phamacies cater to old people who can't afford to be sick in USA. I saw the office of the dentists, looked clean. And my friend went to hungary for major tooth work. Excellent job he said. to bad america is'nt like Europe. They have so many countries close to eachother that if you don't like it somewhere you can go somewhere else. Here in US it's a long haul to the nearest country. I'd like to rant about how Companies have fixed prices to gouge the consumer in the US (you know the so called- 'free market) yeah, free to monopolize prices, But what's the point?  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not too worried about dental work, but I'd sure like to find a great deal on Lasik Surgery.  I've come close a few times to actually going up to Canada to have it done there.  It is supposedly much cheaper there and the doctors have more experince doing them since they have been doing them longer there as an "approved" procedure.  I know there are drawbacks to going there, mainly the distance and difficulty in getting minor corrections (if needed) or follow-ups, but I'd be interested to know if anyone here has gone to Canada and had it done and how it worked out for them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Kidding aside, I have seen a lot of quality dental work come out of Mexico. As long as you get a serious dentist, the care is equitable to that I get here in the states. If I spoke the language I'd get all my work done there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Many retirees go to Mexico for drugs and medical treatment. Get a couple of references and you'll have no problems.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#6]
My long time GF is a 20+ year Dental Hygenist. The general take on Mexican denistry here in Florida...where we don't see as much, I'm sure, as AZ-K9, but we DO see our share... is that it is almost all shit work with shit materials by mostly shit denists.

Do yourself a serious favor and pony up what is necessary for quality US dental care...it will be worth it in the long run!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#7]
A friend of mine goes to El Paso, where he is picked up by someone from the dentist's office and taken across the border.  Dental work done and he is taken back to El Paso.  He has no complaints about the work and has had quite a bit done.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm sure the Mexican dentists are just as good as their USA equivalents, but sometimes sometimes they also cheat you. They put plastic temporary caps and call them permentant.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#9]
My mom's friend went to Mexico and got a mouthfull of bad teeth pulled and both upper and lower plates made for $600. So my mom went when hers got bad. She had 5 teeth pulled and 3 old implants cut out and a full upper for $380. Just had to make one follow up to have a corner rounded off. It's been almost a year and they are holding up fine. And they didn't give her tequila.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Many retirees go to Mexico for drugs and medical treatment. Get a couple of references and you'll have no problems.

I have been trying to find someone who will give me that advice with no luck.  
I guess no one will admit that they have done this.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#11]
My next-door neighbor had it done.

DON'T DO IT.

Go t a US dentist and make payments.  You get what you pay for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top