Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2004 1:52:26 PM EDT
It is a station I have done business with for at least 20 years. I know the owner and his son good, and they know I have a firearm hobby.

Well the son of the owner was there this A.M. and asked me this,

Now that the AWB is gone, all assault weapons are legal again right? So if you had one during the ban, you dont have to hide it now correct?

I very politely set the record straight on what the AWB really was, cosmetic only, and went into a good amount of detail with him. We talked for about 30 minutes about the AWB sunsetting.

He told me he had no idea, what the AWB was really all about, and could not believe that it was only things that were cosmetic on a rifle that people were wanting banned...

He was also very open to the idea of owning an AR, although I think he leans more towards the AK47, since that is what he wanted to talk about mostly....

All in all, I think it was a good converation, with facts and record being set straight...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
good job.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Everyone is worth educating on it... i just get pissed when they are perfectly happy with any gun control (as in, screw what the bill SAYS... just  get rid of them!)

Good job

- BG
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Now that the AWB is gone, all assault weapons are legal again right? So if you had one during the ban, you dont have to hide it now correct?

Actually, if you had an illegal assault weapon (i.e., one meeting the statutory definition and not grandfathered) during the ban, you can still be prosecuted for it.  The statute of limitations is still 5 years, sunset notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, if you had an illegal assault weapon (i.e., one meeting the statutory definition and not grandfathered) during the ban, you can still be prosecuted for it.  The statute of limitations is still 5 years, sunset notwithstanding.

SORRY, but I have to disagree there, please show a link where that statement is verified, you see there is no more AWB, well for just about every state, and since there is no law on the feds books, you cannot be prosicuted for anything. With the passing of the SUNSET clause the AWB ceased to be in existance, it is as if it was never there at all......
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

SORRY, but I have to disagree there, please show a link where that statement is verified, you see there is no more AWB, well for just about every state, and since there is no law on the feds books, you cannot be prosicuted for anything. With the passing of the SUNSET clause the AWB ceased to be in existance, it is as if it was never there at all......

SORRY, but ATF disagrees with you:

Anyone who illegally possessed, manufactured, or transferred semiautomatic assault weapons or large capacity ammunition feeding devices before the bans sunset still have violated the law since their possession, manufacture, or transfer was illegal at the time.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone who illegally possessed, manufactured, or transferred semiautomatic assault weapons or large capacity ammunition feeding devices before the bans sunset still have violated the law since their possession, manufacture, or transfer was illegal at the time.

Link Please?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#7]
1shott - that quote is the link to the atf awb site.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Please?

Mouse over the red text, that is a link I believe....
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
1shott - that quote is the link to the atf awb site.

Ahhhhh ok......seems I may have some backtracking to do here....

Hmmmm well now, that could be intersting.

I understand the part about the records, that is just a part of the law that as for my understanding has been in place since the FFL license came about...

As for my original post, the man asking the question was under the impression all rifles deemed assault weapons were illegal.

But I still done see how a person could be prosicuted for breaking a law which does not exist....

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#10]
We are disciples.  We must spreed the good word.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Link Please?

Just click on the big red quote.  It's a link.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Please?

Just click on the big red quote.  It's a link.

RED, man you should have picked a better color than RED, that dont mean nothing.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top