Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2004 1:25:27 PM EDT
I've got a 1 acre retention pond near my house and some ditches leading to it as well. The last time it filled up(like now) it took 4+ months to go away. I know about all the different products, but, what have you tried that worked?

Keep in mind, we are on a well here so dumping tons of chemies in is not an option.

Has anyone tried fish? My friend told me to release a bunch of feeder fish in the pond and eventually they would eat all the larve. Sounds feasible since feeders are cheap around here. I can get 2 dozen for a dollar. I would buy a lot if it would work.

Disclaimer: Attention PETA. I don't care about the eventual slow death of a bunch of fish.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#1]
ddt
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Lotsa fish of some kind...

Chemicals bad

And... uhh... tannerite

- BG
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#4]
napalm
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#5]
In small ponds I've heard that creating an oil slick with vegetable oil will kill the larvae.
Not sure if it would work on an acre. It'd take alot of veggie oil. 55 gallon drum? ;-)
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Mosquito larvae have to touch the surface of the water to "breathe", therefore anything that disrupts the surface tension of the water will do it. When the surface tension is disrupted, they drop away from the surface and drown.

Gasoline, detergents, etc...  I knew that information would come in handy someday.

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#9]
DDT or napalm.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Gasoline works pretty good but isn't very friendly to the enviroment.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Mud minnow.
They feed on mosquito larve and they are cheap.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#12]
There is a (safe) bacterial product, developed in Israel years ago. Paralysis of the gut of insects (tomato worms, caterpillers)...one strain definately works on skeeters.

Bt (BT (Bacillus thuringiensis)

See www.gardensalive.com for the 'donut shaped' disks that float in ponds, specifically for skeeter control.

Mosquito Dunks®
Kills mosquitoes without sprays or making the water harmful to birds or pets. Last 30 days.

Elminate mosquitoes in standing water without pesticides, and without making the water harmful to birds, pets, fish and wildlife. Mosquito Dunks contain Bt israelensis, a naturally occurring biological organism which kills the mosquito larvae that feed on it. Use in bird baths, ponds, rain barrels, gutters - anywhere standing water collects. One doughnut covers 100 square feet and lasts 30 days.

No affiliation with Gardens Alive, just a happy customer for over a decade. Plus I hate mosquitoes.

Gwen
bug free in L.A.

EDITED TO ADD: for large ponds, see more info at http://www.nal.usda.gov/bic/BTTOX/bttoxin.htm
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#13]
100 square feet per donute..  

40,000 sq feet plus per acre..  lets see..  400 perfectly positioned donutes?  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Way back when they were trying to build the Panama Canal the bigget problem was malaria.  A doctor realized that mosquitos were carrying malaria so they set up sprinkers and sprayed oil everywhere to kill the mosquito larvae.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#15]
There are several varieties of fish that feed on mosquito larvae.  If  you have anything  desirable living in the pond,  anything oil/detergent that forms an airtight seal may kill that off to if it lasts too long  If you don't need the fish, crawdads, etc, then vegetable oil would work better than a petroeum based oil if you don't want to have the lasting negative effects of the petroleum.  Plus if any animal drinks out of it they may get the shits but it won't kill them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In small ponds I've heard that creating an oil slick with vegetable oil will kill the larvae.
Not sure if it would work on an acre. It'd take alot of veggie oil. 55 gallon drum? ;-)

What he said, an oily film on the surface will smother the little larve.

Tj

Yep, I was told that in the days before DDT and modern pesticides about a quart of used motor oil worked for 5 acre pond or slough. Used oil was also used to keep down dust on gravel roads. Do it now and expect huge fines. Would veggie oil be considered an offense? Don't know.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#17]
oil slick, it doesn't take much at all.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

little goes a LONG way.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Check out some internet sites about Ponds. There is a specific fish that eats the larve. It's called the Mosquito Fish. You should keep water in your pond all year round, just put some plants in it for the fish to have some shade and to eat.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Fish.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Bats love mosquitos.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Mosquito Dunks®

Sounds like an evil cereal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top