Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2004 10:18:20 AM EDT
I am just wondering I go to class during the day and work nights I have been pulled over a few times in the last couple years. Mostly just "fishing" from what I can tell because after they figure out I am not a scumbag they let me go.

But I usually throw my backpack on the passenger seat, the cops usually ask me if I have any drugs in the Pack, (sometimes they ask about weapons)

is this just a coincedence, or is that something that always raises a red flag?

anyone else experience this?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Cops in Cali love to fish.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Yeah and you know what seems to help limit this (so I can go home and sleep) is handing over my Mil ID with my license I know some people say there is no reason to do so, but you would be suprised alot of cops were (or still are) military and will assume you aren't a scumbag if you made it in the military.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Yeah and you know what seems to help limit this (so I can go home and sleep) is handing over my Mil ID with my license I know some people say there is no reason to do so, but you would be suprised alot of cops were (or still are) military and will assume you aren't a scumbag if you made it in the military.

I always do that, it can't hurt right?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife is a good looking, tiny, quiet woman.  Every time we go to the airport, no matter how much carry-on shit I have, she always gets the bomb check.  Only difference?  Her carry on is a backpack.  We're convinced cops think backpacks are bad people.

BoB
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#5]
All civilians are suspect, the police are there to protect the sheeple from themselves. They are doing all of society a great service by keeping them inline with their constant surveilance.
Your papers please....
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Only if walking around town with a camera and a backpack full of camera gear taking pictures for school publications.

With a university supplied press pass.

"It makes people nervous to see someone taking pictures"
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Only if the backpack has an NRA button on it...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Anything you can conceal contents in concerns LE.

It is the fear of the unknown and their job to find out.

MT

Low and Slow

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#9]
People are suspicious, not backpacks.

I will always ask someone "Do you have anything illegal or dangerous in the car" just to see what their response is.  The number of people that will freely admit to having methamphetamine or stolen property when asked is amazing...

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#10]

The number of people that will freely admit to having methamphetamine or stolen property when asked is amazing...

That's why they are criminals........They are too F@#$#% stupid for anything else.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a flagging job one day last week. Periodicaly during the day, a truck would be partialy blocking traffic while unloading "ecology blocks". Hence, flaggers needed. So, I always have a small "daypack" with me that holds raingear, water etc. I had the pack setting along the road near me. However, my duties would sometimes cause me to be quite a distance from it. I was about 1/4 mile south of canada on the "truck,commercial traffic" road that leads to customs. Lots of cops and border patrol cars in the area. At one point a BP stopped and asked a worker if he knew who belonged to the pack, pointing to my pack sitting alone along the road with me nowhere in sight. Luckily the cons't. worker knew it belonged to me and told the BP not to worry.

I'm sure it had to do with the vicinity of the border.

So, no bomb squad or SWAT was called out that day.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

But I usually throw my backpack on the passenger seat, the cops usually ask me if I have any drugs in the Pack,

Plead the 5th
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I will always ask someone "Do you have anything illegal or dangerous in the car" just to see what their response is.  The number of people that will freely admit to having methamphetamine or stolen property when asked is amazing...

You mean you don't give them a break for being honest?  You bastard!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:45:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean you don't give them a break for being honest?  You bastard!

Actually I do.  If a person is straight with me I might let his family come pick up his car rather than tow it, or release him on his written promise to appear instead of booking him. All depends on the person and the situation, but honesty goes a long way. The harder the bad guy makes me work for it, the harder the consequences.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:10:48 AM EDT
[#17]
isn't it usually the backpacks with 3 feet of lit cannon fuse sticking out that get the most attention?
sorry...couldn't resist....coffee finally starting to kick in
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Back in the 70's the University fo Houston was located smack in the middle of a ghetto. The ghetto is still there but the social climate has changed somewhat. But back then walking from the stadium parking lot, where we had to park, was like walking through the jungle. It was no fun during the day but at night it was really scary.

I found that a dictionary could be hollowed out to carry an *** ****** and it never drew the least bit of attention.  With a few books plus the dictionary on top of the stack carried in the usual book carrying manner I felt safe.

The down side is that now I can't spell worth a shit because half of the words are missing from my dictionary.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:37:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But I usually throw my backpack on the passenger seat, the cops usually ask me if I have any drugs in the Pack,

Plead the 5th

one two three four FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIF!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top