Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 9:46:04 AM EDT
My sister has a turbo Saab and while she was out of town this weekend, I decided to take it for a spin.

Nice engine and all, but when I stopped for coffee, I couldn't figure out how to take the key out of the ignition.  Felt all over the tree for a button or lever of some kind, used my left hand to scan all over the dash, seat and door for something.  Nothing.  WTF?

Now I'm worried, because the last thing I want to do is call up my sister who's out of town and ask her how to take the keys out of a car I drove without permission.  And I dont know anyone else who owns a Saab. So I call up the dealership.

The car has to be in reverse gear to extract the key

What possible reason is there for this?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Saabs are pieces of shit.  There's your reason.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#2]
What the hell, I dont like driving other peoples card because of stuff like that, seems most foreign cars are like that

BTW did you smoke the tires?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:59:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I knew someone who had a SAAB and always talked about his German car was superior
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I knew someone who had a SAAB and always talked about his German car was superior

That is priceless.  I always chuckle when I think about a wedding reception earlier this year I attended.  This "smart" guy we know was talking about the famous distiller "HYMEN Walker".  Said it twice- thought it was a slip the first time.  Same guy who used to love to play Trivial Pursuit "GENIOUS" edition.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#6]
It had a nice engine, but the steering was very stiff, you could feel the assist through the wheel, and it fought against you. I didn't like it. I probably wouldn't buy one. Or at least that model.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I like cars that are built by people who make kick-ass fighter jets.    

The Draken has always been one of my faborite old jets (Danish air force used em for a long time), the Viggen is a kick-ass plane, and if they ever figure out the Gripen, it might be nice.

Ya also gotta admire a country that is truly neutral, and likes to develop its own weapons systems.

The cars might be a little quirky, but I like the "mystique"   Although to be fair, I liked the cars better when their SAAB logo was actually an airplane - back in the 70s.

Edited to add some old Danish air force pics (because this talk of Saabs made me nostalgic ) :
Here is a bunch of drakens:

And here's the one with the cool "dragon" paintjob, showing the unique shape of the draken:
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#8]
If my car looked liked that, I'd SAAB too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Was this one of the older conventional keys, or the high tech electronic key, and I assume a manual transmission?  One of my buddies has one of the new-style, pretty damn cool, but he barely gets above 4th gear here in MD due to it being just about 10 miles from our apartments to work.

I'd assume it would be so the car wont roll away if you left it in neutral and didnt set the parking brake.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Saab owner here...

I have an 85 900 Turbo and a 2000 9-3 SE.

Solid cars, safe cars and you would be amazed how many guns and how much ammo you can fit in the hatch.

The 85 gave up the transmission at 217K miles at well over stock boost levels.  My 9-3 is clipping right along at 102K.

The reason for the car needng to be in reverse to remove the key it to lock the gear selector in lieu of a steering wheel lock.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Heres a nice Piss Off from a Saab owner

The next car I get will be another Saab, no questions about it. However, I like the older body styles over the newer ones (pre 93). The only bad thing about older ones is there is a engineering defect in the clutch that usually craps out about every 80-100K miles. Happened to mine, but mine is an 87, and I don't think they changed it till 91. Anyways, I love my Saab, its a fucking odd car, but I'm a fucking odd person.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I like cars that are built by people who make kick-ass fighter jets.    

The Draken has always been one of my faborite old jets (Danish air force used em for a long time), the Viggen is a kick-ass plane, and if they ever figure out the Gripen, it might be nice.

Ya also gotta admire a country that is truly neutral, and likes to develop its own weapons systems.

The cars might be a little quirky, but I like the "mystique"   Although to be fair, I liked the cars better when their SAAB logo was actually an airplane - back in the 70s.

I beg to differ a tad. Here in the USA, General Motors used to be a big defense contractor, but that still didn't translate too well into consumer products. GM automobiles availalble to the general public has pretty much a dismal repair record.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#13]
My parents got a Saab 93 last year. Best car I have ever driven. There's nothing about having your car in weird gears to remove the key, but the key is on the center console, not by the wheel.

That car is great though, imo. I'm getting one as soon as I can.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to drive a Saab 9000s turbo. It was an '86 with about 150,000 miles on it and it still drove great. The turbo had been replaced (mostly because of my brother and I punching that thing for all it was worth) but other than that no major issues.

Some guy making a left turn didn't yield and I crashed into him at about 40mph and walked away without a bruise. The car was a loss but it did it's job of protecting the occupant. I always griped about the car being too heavy but after that crash I was glad those Swedes built that thing like a tank.

The new Saabs look awesome IMO but they are too goddamn expensive. A 9-3 is more than a 3 series BMW.

ETA, the one I drove didn't have to be in reverse to take the key out of the ignition.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I love Saabs, but unfortunately have not ridden in one since my father's 900 that got wrecked one winter when a teen in a van careened into it... while it was parked.

Do they still have the ignition by the gear shift lever?

Although I think I would probably rather buy a Mercedes or BMW.

ETA: I also have ridden in a Saab turboprop plane. Very nice ride.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Forgot to add, I think Saab is partially owned by USA's General Motors.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
And here's the one with the cool "dragon" paintjob, showing the unique shape of the draken:
www.draken.dk/pictures/skolesk.jpg

That is going to tbe the coolest thing I see all weekend!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top