Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2004 7:34:14 AM EDT
I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Benelli M1 Tactical. Any thoughts or suggestions for a defensive shotgun other than a Benelli? Thanks in advance for your replies!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Me, and it's bad ass. I love shooting that thing.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#2]
june,

I've owned an M1S90 for about 5 years now and am still impressed with this shotgun.  It is partially "neutered," - no Pistol Grip stock due to the AWB but a USP deilvery next Tuesday will fix that little issue.  

I can shoot my M1S90 as fast as I can shoot my AR.  I'm amazed at how fast this thing will cycle.

Get one.  It's worth every penny.

CMOS

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Whoa... that 870 doesn't exactly suck nuts either.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Excellent guns. Expensive, but worth it. Only downside: the "tactical" model is a little on the large side for room clearing. I believe the other models are "Practical" and "Entry", and one or both may be NFA items.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#5]
The "Entry" is a 14" NFA weapon, and pretty damned cool to boot!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the information fellas! Can the magazine extension be installed by a dumbass like me? I've done plenty with guns before, but the extension doesn't have to be installed by a 'smith, does it?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I did, but the wife is keeping it in the divorce.

It's at the top of my wishlist. Get one. You'll LOVE it!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for the information fellas! Can the magazine extension be installed by a dumbass like me?

Yes. It is rediculously simple. If you can rotate your wrist clockwise, you can install it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 here...I have a benelli M1 Tactical w/ pistol grip, ghost rings (Nightsites) and a extension tube....it is a frigging dream to shoot.  It was easy to add the tube -- just wear eye protection so the spring doesn't catch your eyeball -- ie be careful and smart

I love it.

With open sites I get good hits off hand out to 100 yrds w/ rifled slug

It is worth every penny IMHO
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
+1 here...I have a benelli M1 Tactical w/ pistol grip, ghost rings (Nightsites) and a extension tube....it is a frigging dream to shoot.  It was easy to add the tube -- just wear eye protection so the spring doesn't catch your eyeball -- ie be careful and smart

I love it.

With open sites I get good hits off hand out to 100 yrds w/ rifled slug

It is worth every penny IMHO

JHP, what choke tube do you use for slugs in your M1S?

CMOS

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#11]
EDIT TO CHANGE CHOKE REPORT --- I HAVE IMPROVED CYLINDER

When I say good hits - I mean I am hitting black (large diameter) bulls - not tight groups but in the black

I use Federal 2 3/4  1oz slugs

Not sure about you guys but my benelli shoot hella dirty - get a Tornado Brush to clear out that lead.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I used to have a M1 Super 90 with extended tube...awesome gun. I sold it to get a Benelli Nova for two reasons...a lot cheaper, and it fires a much larger variety of ammo, even runs perfect on mini-shells!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#13]
JHP,

Do you realize that the manual specifically say NOT to use the full choke for slugs?  I'd be surprised if that choke hasn't been damaged.

Thoughts?

CMOS

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I used to have a M1 Super 90 with extended tube...awesome gun. I sold it to get a Benelli Nova for two reasons...a lot cheaper, and it fires a much larger variety of ammo, even runs perfect on mini-shells!

ARGH! HERESY!

Get both!

BTW....... Mine didn't have a choke!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#15]
My Cousin has the M3 and it Rocks!  M3 is the simi, with the flip of a switch it converts to pump so you can clear a jam quickly.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
JHP,

Do you realize that the manual specifically say NOT to use the full choke for slugs?  I'd be surprised if that choke hasn't been damaged.

Thoughts?

CMOS

nationwide concurs.  He needs to check around the barrel, at the base of the choke tube for bulging.  I'm sure there's some.

The tightest choke a slug should be shot out of is Modified, but the more open, the better.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
JHP,

Thoughts?

CMOS

holy crap...I better check --- thanks for the tip
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Checked the manual and my choke tube.

I couldn't find any part that said never use full choke with slug.

My chokes do say "steel shot ok" or "no steel shot"

The choke in my M1 from day one is Improved Cylinder

I have modified and full still in the case.

Should I expect any problems from shooting slugs, buck and some 8 shot bird(lead) out of IC?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Checked the manual and my choke tube.

I couldn't find any part that said never use full choke with slug.

My chokes do say "steel shot ok" or "no steel shot"

The choke in my M1 from day one is Improved Cylinder

I have modified and full still in the case.

Should I expect any problems from shooting slugs, buck and some 8 shot bird(lead) out of IC?

When I had my M1, bird shot and other lighter field loads were not that reliable.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the M1 field.22" vent -rib bbl with 8 shot tube. Will cycle even 7/8 oz promo loads. I have the standard stock because I can load it faster.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Had mine for several years. Only malfunctions were due to an improperly installed Side Saddle. Installed by yours stupidly. Get an 870 and an M-1S90.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

What are the differences with the Nova?

Do they both use the same action?

Can you install an extended mag tube on the Nova?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#23]
When breaking in the M1 you need to use heavy loads - birdshot is too light...slugs and buck usually work best.

Now that I am broken in, the M1 eats anything I give it.

Nova is significantly less expensive. I don't think the construction is as sound and they don't feel that great to me...but that is just me.

In the Nova price range, I'd look at Remi, Mossy and H&K (FAB ARMS)

A nice Mossberg Marine 12ga would be cool
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top