Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2004 6:21:13 AM EDT
Like it says. Looking for a good pistol. I have a CZ-52 right now which I enjoy but wouldnt want to trust my life to it. SO, looking for opinions and advice on a pistol.
Size isnt much of an issue, I cant carry concealed so really no worries about size. I prefer larger calibers so no worry about the kick and fuss of a large caliber. My personal favorite is a .357 Mag, but nothing puts a smile on my face like my Pops .44 Virginian Dragoon. Love that lead slinger.
So, was thinking something in the range of a .45 ACP, maybe a .40 or 10mm. Not too worried about brands, but I personally dont favor Glocks all that much. It would be a hard sell to get me to go Glock on the first gun.
Right now I'm kinda leaning towards either a Kimber 1911 or a CZ-75. Both are .45 ACP. I personally dont worry too much about names, I'm mainly focused on something thats RELIABLE. If I have to trust my life to it, it HAS to perform. I thought Kimber because alot of people say alot of good things about it, I choose CZ because again alot of people say alot of good things, and the CZ's I've used have all performed very well and felt good. Any reason to get one over the other? The CZ is about 100 bucks cheaper so kinda leaning that way......
So, whats everyone think? If YOU only had 1 pistol what would you choose, and more importantly why?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:37:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't go wrong with a full size series I kimber.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Definitely a Kimber! Best  .45 I've ever owned, and the only one I didn't have to take to a gunsmith to make it do what my Kimber did right out of the box! I really don't think you could go wrong with a CZ either.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#3]
What mag capacities are available on the Kimbers. Was looking at a Kimber Custom, whittakerguns.com has them for $592. Any other online places that sell them, its always nice to get a few prices from the net before local shopping to make sure I'm not about to get screwed
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been a huge 1911 fan since I was about 12. I have 2 now. A Norinco I bought for $300.00 and has had about $400.00 in custom work done to it and a Kimber target with some wooden grips. I love them both and they do everything I need them to. I've carried both as concealed weapons and never had to wrry about reliability. Hope this helps. Take care
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a slightly different take on this topic.  Go to the funstore and pick up a variety of sizes, calibers, makes and models.  Stick with the brand names that have earned a reputation for quality, cost be damned because you can't put a pricetag on your life, and you'll always be wishing you had bought (insert brand name here) if you buy cheap.  When you find a pistol that feels right in your hand, has the bells/whistles you feel you need, AND has a reputable manufacturers name on it, you found your new pistol.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:10:20 AM EDT
[#6]
SA 1911, if price isn't an issue, a Wilson CQB 1911!  Can't go wrong either way!

GG1911
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#7]
The CZ in .45 ACP is the CZ-97.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The CZ in .45 ACP is the CZ-97.

Oh goddamn your right.
Sorry, brain is running lean this morning.....
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I love my Kimbers but that CZ97 is a very reliable .45.  You should be happy with either.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#10]
CZ's are a good gun.  Ipersonaly like the springfield XD in 40 s&w or .357 sig about 400 to 450
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to throw in a recommendation for a H&K UPS Full or Compact.  The "compact" really isn't a small weapon.  It's what I would call medium sized.  

If you like the big calibers then take a look at the USP Compact in .45 and .357 Sig. Both have some serious punch power and unquestionable reliability.

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#12]
If you wont go Glock go Kimber I really liked everything about My Springfield 1911 except that it was stainless I dont know why I ever bought that blingy white gun.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#13]
You can trust your life and your families life on a glock. Ugly gun, but 100% reliable. Not too pricey either.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Gotta love a Sig P220 for fit and function.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#15]
The Kimber will most likely be somewhat simpler inside, but either is a kickass gun.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top