Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2004 4:45:36 AM EDT

Every year I deal with this crap...  My benadryl isn't working and I'm dying here..

Any suggestions?

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated !

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:58:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Zyrtec is the best i have found yet, but it's presription
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:01:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Allegra-D for me, but it is also a prescription drug.

Some folks I know use Claratin and it is now over the counter.  It doesn't do a thing for me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:41:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Claritan sucks monkey balls, i havent tried it yet but my dad swears by Alavert ,i think thats the name or close,and it is OTC.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't even bother with Claratin.  A few years ago my doctor gave me a bunch of samples to try and they didn't do anything.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:10:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I raise bees and sell honey and a lot of my customers buy honey to take for their allergies.  They take it year round in their coffee or tea or straight up in a spoon.  I don't have bad allergies and really dont have a taste for honey myself so I can't tell you if it works for sure.

I have a friend who is plagued with terrible allergies every year, it screws up his bowhunting and fishing and life in general.  I mentioned that honey might work for him and he has started using some just in the last two weeks so I will find out if it works or not pretty soon.

If you want to try it get honey local to your area.  Get raw honey none of that processed crap.  Contact your extension service, they can put you in touch with local beekeepers.  Take a tablespoon a day and see what happens.  Some believe it should be put under the tongue others take it with lemon.  Just get it down  the pipe and try it.  If you have a choice from the beekeeper see if he has some of last years crop, from the fall of last year.  Generally darker fall honey has more ragweed and goldenrod type blossoms which might help more.  All I know is the folks that swear by it want the darker honey not the fine light cotton or chinese tallow honey.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:13:52 AM EDT
[#6]
We use zyrtec for our baby, does wonders for him. makes you a little drowsy though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been using Nasonex for about the last 5 years and it has worked a miracle on my alergies. In fact at the first sign of a runny nose I'll snort a few sprays and it'll just vanish, no getting sleepy or anything, it just kicks out my runny nose and sneezing.  Another thing you might think about is stress, stress will trigger an alergy attack.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:19:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Ragweed almost shuts down my air supply and Bendryl works wonders!  It can make you a little drowsy though.  One benefit is that it only last 4 hours, while some others are 12 - 24 hours.  Other than that, Zyrtec works best for me but everyone is different.  If you can get some samples from your Doc, try them.  Zyrtec seems to require 2 -3 days to really make a difference, then it feels like I don't need them as I am fine... until I stop taking them!  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:24:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't I s just suffer.

All alerrgy meds act as speed with me.

SO I just blow my nose all day long...

SGatr15

PS  ANd yes, it SUCKS!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:25:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Locally made honey
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:32:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Echinacea.  It's an herb sold at natural food stores and even WalMart carries it.  I take three of these a day when my allergies start showing their ass and the symptoms go away.

Some people frown on herbal remedies but fail to realize that many prescription and OTC meds are made from herbs and roots.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#12]
My daughter uses Flonase and it works wonders for her.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:39:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Reactine is available over the counter in Canada.  It works great wihtout giving you dry mouth or making you drowsy and lasts a long time.  Made by Pfizer.  Main ingredient is cetirizine hydrochloride.  I think it is the same as Zyrtec in the US.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Flonase works for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top