Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/24/2004 11:37:18 PM EDT
Not much of a country music fan, but I do like a song now and then. Anyone here die-hard country music fans?

And also, what kind of country music do you like?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah.
Jo-Dee Messina
Tim McGraw
Sugarland
Amy Dalley
Faith Hill
Sara Evans

I listen to rock too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I like some of the older stuff, especially Hank Sr.
Most of the '90s was pretty good, hard to beat Dwight and Garth. I think a majority of it has gone downhill in the past few years
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Uh, I like Camper Van Beethoven.. not country but alot of the songs have country beats
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:44:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Are they still making Country Music? I turn on the "Country" radio station and all I hear is Pop music with a twang.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Country and Western for me!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the old stuff. Old like in 20's to 60's. Hank Sr., Jimmy Rodgers, Willie, Johnny Cash, etc. The "new" Country, basically anything after 1980, I cannot stand.  I mean I am repelled.  And the New new stuff, the current Nashville sound, is fucking repellent.  And corny and sappy. And lame. diediediediedie

I hates country music.  Hates it!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:01:09 AM EDT
[#7]
clean_cut: same here. Where I grew up Kali-fornia, we could only get on free TV station KERO Bakersfield, CA, Bakersfield is the home of country & western music for Kali-fonia. Of course we could've got cable for $20/month but in the late 50s and early 60s, $20 back then is probably worth maybe $100-$120 today, so we didn't get cable TV for the L.A. stations. Anyways to this day, I don't really care for country & western music.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:52:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:41:21 AM EDT
[#9]

..I turn on the "Country" radio station and all I hear is Pop music with a twang.

+1
I listen to bluegrass on satellite radio.  As far as today's CW music goes, I'd rather listen to a fat girl fart than hear a "girly-boy" sing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:45:03 AM EDT
[#10]
If Rascal Flats or Emerson Drive come on I cnage the station so fast it would make your head spin.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:48:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Only when it gets me laid.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:49:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:01:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Hate it and stuck listenin to it for the next 8 hrs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:06:16 AM EDT
[#14]
When I was a kid, and lived in Austin, I listened to counrty music.

Then the '80's came, and it turned to popish country.

Now, I don't think that there are any real country music artists left.

Except Willy, Dolly (and she isn't making much country anymore), George Jones, and Randy Travis.
The rest of them are reject rock musicians (especially Garth Brooks).
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:00:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:05:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:06:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Yuck
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:09:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Wouldn't call myself a diehard fan, but I think country music has more soul than soul music.

Just kinda reaches ya exactly where ya live, and deals with real life issues and themes.

I like it.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:11:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think that George Jones' 'He Stopped Loving Her Today' is the apotheosis of country music!

...they put  a wreath upon his door....
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:12:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Why sure...I like both kinds of music, country AND western!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:17:56 AM EDT
[#21]
My taste in music runs through all music but opera. At this point I listen to country and Toby Keith is my favorite,Gretchen Wilson, Josh Gracin and of course what is really considered country,Johnny Cash,Dolly,etc.  What I listen to on a daily basis changes,I have classical in my tape player in the car,I only like older rock,can't stand the stuff that is out now. My husband says our son gets his taste in music from me,you never know what he will be listening to either. I guess my taste in music comes from being in orchestra for 12 years and playing violin. I also used to do Old time Fiddle contests so as I said my tastes run through quite a bit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:22:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:08:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Blah, Blah, Blah...it's not country music anymore.

Music evolves, changes that's what makes it such a great art.  Look at all types of music and it has its different genres.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm a big bluegrass fan.  Country music has gotten too pop.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:13:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I think that George Jones' 'He Stopped Loving Her Today' is the apotheosis of country music!

Nah...David Allen Coe's The Perfect Country & Western Song  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Hell yeah!  

Just saw Old 97s at Irving Plaza (NYC) last night.  Those boys can rip it (plus, in the spirit of the site, how many other artists "name check" the Claymore mine in a song?) headbang.gif  
NYC might not seem to be a hotbed of country music, but country & alt-country artists do pretty well here.  Irving Plaza was packed tight last night.

I also get a kick out of Montgomery Gentry's video for "You Do Your Thing" - probably the video with the most conservative theme to ever hit the mainstream music video channels.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Country music...you like it?

No
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't like Country music.  

I do like some old Western music.  Like the old cowboy movie stuff.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Trace Atkins, Toby Keith, George Strait, some of the other new guys.

Don't know about about early 90s stuff (don't have any Garth)

OLD stuff is the best.  Jimmie Rodgers rocks, so does Curley Ray Cline... cowboy yodeling, i guess?

- BG
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I live in the country music capital of the world. Singers are a dime a dozen. Every busboy and waitress here wants to be a singer or song writer. Shit gets old quick.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#31]
As much as I like a rusty nail sticking out of my eye.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#32]
My father was a good ol boy, so I grew up listening to a lot of country in the 70's and 80's.  I still love the stuff, but there is very little done past 1980 that I like, with a few exceptions like George Strait, Dwight Yokum, etc.

I listen to a lot of bluegrass now because today's country is mostly soulless pop music.  There are some new artists still doing down home old school country music, but you'll never hear them from any of the major labels.  Nashville was certainly stunned by the popularity of bluegrass after the Oh Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack came out.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, I like some of it.  And not everything an artist does.

Tom T. Hall
Patsy Kline
George Strait - supposed to have a 50 song greatest hits CD out on 2 Oct.
Can't remember name of this group - kinda more Bluegrass - blonde gal sings/plays violin
Allison Krauss and Union Station - Thanks eodtech2000
Tim McGraw
Toby Keith
Charly Pride
Montgomery Gentry - only like "My Town"
And some others.  

Country music has really gotten that Austinized.  (Think I'll pick on Austin today)
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#34]
yeah modern country and western blows.

the only exceptions to that rule was Alabama, George Straight, Randy Travis, and maybe a couple of Toby Keiths songs...

I like Texas country now. Robert Earl Keene, some of Pat Greene, Adam Carroll, Jerry Jeff Walker, Guy Clarke, etc...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I use to hate Country but now am hooked and I can't for the life of me explain why?

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#36]
its alright

i dont really listen to music; i'm indifferent to it
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#37]
I like country music that is older than i am.  I love grandpa jones and the old style songs that he would always play.  Its all about the bluegrass.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Nope!  No need to listen to it as I don't have a dog, drinking problem, pickup truck (military 4X4 ambulance doesn't count), ex-wife, mother-in law problems, live by train tracks or even know of an Okie from Muskogee.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't really care for most of the music,but I do appreciate all the hot women that sing it

What's up with all the hot country babes anyway?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#40]

YOU NEVER EVEN CALLED ME BY MY NAME
(Steve Goodman)
David Allan Coe - 1975

WELL, IT WAS ALL THAT I COULD DO TO KEEP FROM CRYIN'
SOMETIMES IT SEEMED SO USELESS TO REMAIN
BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO CALL ME DARLIN', DARLIN'
YOU NEVER EVEN CALL ME BY MY NAME

YOU DON'T HAVE TO CALL ME WAYLON JENNINGS
AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO CALL ME CHARLIE PRIDE
AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO CALL ME MERLE HAGGARD ANYMORE
EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE ON MY FIGHTIN' SIDE

AND I'LL HANG AROUND AS LONG AS YOU WILL LET ME
AND I NEVER MINDED STANDIN' IN THE RAIN

WELL, I'VE HEARD MY NAME A FEW TIMES IN YOUR PHONE BOOK (Hello, Hello)
AND I'VE SEEN IT ON SIGNS WHERE I'VE PLAYED
BUT THE ONLY TIME I KNOW I'LL HEAR "DAVID ALLAN COE"
IS WHEN JESUS HAS HIS FINAL JUDGMENT DAY

SO I'LL HANG AROUND AS LONG AS YOU WILL LET ME

SPOKEN:
WELL, A FRIEND OF MINE NAMED STEVE GOODMAN WROTE THAT SONG AND
HE TOLD ME IT WAS THE PERFECT COUNTRY & WESTERN SONG. I WROTE
HIM BACK A LETTER AND I TOLD HIM IT WAS NOT THE PERFECT COUNTRY
& WESTERN SONG BECAUSE HE HADN'T SAID ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT MAMA,
OR TRAINS, OR TRUCKS, OR PRISON, OR GETTIN' DRUNK. WELL HE SAT
DOWN AND WROTE ANOTHER VERSE TO THE SONG AND HE SENT IT TO ME,
AND AFTER READING IT, I REALIZED THAT MY FRIEND HAD WRITTEN THE
PERFECT COUNTRY & WESTERN SONG. AND I FELT OBLIGED TO INCLUDE IT
ON THIS ALBUM. THE LAST VERSE GOES LIKE THIS HERE:

WELL, I WAS DRUNK THE DAY MY MOM GOT OUT OF PRISON
AND I WENT TO PICK HER UP IN THE RAIN
BUT BEFORE I COULD GET TO THE STATION IN MY PICKUP TRUCK
SHE GOT RUNNED OVER BY A DAMNED OLD TRAIN

AND I'LL HANG AROUND AS LONG AS YOU WILL LET ME
NO, A' YOU DON'T HAVE TO CALL ME DARLIN', DARLIN'
YOU NEVER EVEN CALL ME
WELL I WONDER WHY YOU DON'T CALL ME
WHY DON'T YOU EVER CALL ME BY MY NAME

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Tell me who is a REAL COUNTRY today? George Strait and Alan Jaackson are  the closest I know. Too many of the stars like Toby Kieth, Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley seem to have the cutsey type songs. No done me wrong beer drinking tear jerkers.

Merl Haggard, George Jones, country stars... fullclip
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I like country music that is older than i am.  I love grandpa jones and the old style songs that he would always play.  Its all about the bluegrass.

Bad bluegrass?  Is there such a thing?  Love the old timey music.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Real country Stars...

Hank Snow.. Truck driving songs
Willie Nelson..Blue eues Crying In the Rain
Loretta Lynn & Tammy Wynett.. everything
Bill Andreson
Ernest Tubb...

List goes on and on.. fullclip
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Waylon Jennings
Johnny Cash
Patsy Cline - Still untouchable
Allison Krauss & Union Station
Marty Robbins - Big Iron
George Jones  - Gotta like a guy who will drive into Nashville on a John Deere Mower for some Whiskey

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I use to hate Country but now am hooked and I can't for the life of me explain why?

Regards,
Gary

Ditto... must be something in PA water

- BG
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Tell me who is a REAL COUNTRY today? George Strait and Alan Jaackson are  the closest I know. Too many of the stars like Toby Kieth, Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley seem to have the cutsey type songs. No done me wrong beer drinking tear jerkers.

Toby keith? i don't know if he fits into your list. Chesney definately does, and paisley is getting there.

If it wasn't for paisleys I'm gonna miss her, and Whiskey lullaby, i would set him in the miz with chesney.

Toby--- How do ya like me know?, Whiskey girl, Beer for my horses, shoulda been a cowboy, and a whole host of other good ones.

The only problem with toby, is that they play every single one of his songs, until you are ready to throw up.

Toby keith
Brad paisley
Merle hagard
Waylon Jennings--- can't beat the good ol' boys.
Some willie
David allen coe----- by far my favorite, no close seconds here.

Alan Jackson--- (is the man)
George Strait
Not a big fan of too many female country singers.
Brooks and Dunn--- way up there on my list
Trace adkins--- simply because i can relate to Rough and Ready

Too many others too list

I also listen to alot of Rock and Roll, but not too much newer stuff, i like the old stuff (1970's and some 80's, early 90's)

Mtechgunman

Whew! i need a nap!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#48]
That stuff is soooo bad "She cheated on meee and I had to kill her with my knife." Moron music ahhhhaaaaa.!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
That stuff is soooo bad "She cheated on meee and I had to kill her with my knife." Moron music ahhhhaaaaa.!

so what you're saying is that you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about....................that's cool, now go play with your fab-10...................................
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Toby keith? i don't know if he fits into your list. Chesney definately does, and paisley is getting there.

If it wasn't for paisleys I'm gonna miss her, and Whiskey lullaby, i would set him in the miz with chesney.

Toby--- How do ya like me know?, Whiskey girl, Beer for my horses, shoulda been a cowboy, and a whole host of other good ones.

The only problem with toby, is that they play every single one of his songs, until you are ready to throw up.

Toby keith
Brad paisley
Merle hagard
Waylon Jennings--- can't beat the good ol' boys.
Some willie
David allen coe----- by far my favorite, no close seconds here.

Alan Jackson--- (is the man)
George Strait
Not a big fan of too many female country singers.
Brooks and Dunn--- way up there on my list
Trace adkins--- simply because i can relate to Rough and Ready

Too many others too list

I also listen to alot of Rock and Roll, but not too much newer stuff, i like the old stuff (1970's and some 80's, early 90's)

Mtechgunman

Whew! i need a nap!!

Toby Kieth... Who's your daddy, Wanna talk about me, What Happens in Mexico, ect. ..fullclip
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top